• Two or more hours a day.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One to two hours a day.

• Half an hour to an hour a day.

• Less than half an hour a day.

• I do these things, but not quite daily.

• I do these things, but on a weekly basis.

• I do these things, but not quite weekly.

• I do these things, but it's irregular.

• No time at all.

• Other

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much time do you spend each day doing things like devotions, yoga (unless it's your job), reading philosophy/theology, singing uplifting songs, praying, meditating, or whatever else you do to enhance your spirituality?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am total heathen.

I am an atheist so I don't believe in any sort of 'gods' to pray or do devotions or sing to. Don't like meditating and I don't really consider yoga spiritua. I am not religious or spiritual. The only thing I would consider 'spiritual' about my self would be my love of nature and all living things but since it is winter and I hate the cold - I am not outside to commune with nature much so I voted no time at all (unless my cats count). In the summer, my vote might change.

(just recently in florida on vacation, I was outside being 'spiritual' alot so my vote would have been higher on the scale that week!)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I meditate once a week in meditation class. When I'm not so busy, like in the summer, I tend to meditate a bit more and read spiritually uplifting material.

Right now I have a daily Dalai Lama quote calender next to my computer that I read and think about whenever I take a break. That doesn't take a lot of time, though, so I still checked the week option.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I chose "one to two hours a day," but sometimes I have an off-day here and there where I only devote less than an hour.

ETA: To clarify, this does not include time I spend doing yoga.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I consider myself a spiritual person because I often contemplate the meaning of life, I consistently strive to live a meaningful life, and I find joy and wonder in many aspects of life, from small to large. However, I find it difficult to quantify how much time I spend on these activities. It's a pretty constant thing. I very rarely take part in any organized spiritual practice, although I do yoga and meditation on and off, and I take part in major Jewish celebrations. However, I consider the time I spend running and hiking a form of meditation, and I could probably list many other activities that make me feel "spiritual." I voted I do these things, but it's irregular, but that doesn't really capture what I mean...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I do not really define spirituality strictly in terms of particular practices, such as meditation or prayer; I try to be true to my spiritual and moral values every minute of every day, always keeping in mind the best interests of humankind. By that I mean that I strive to stay away from selfishness, anger and other negative feelings and do what would serve my and other's spiritual growth better. I aim to sort out my feelings in direct and effective ways and practice the most harmless and kind living. Of course, I ask (pray?) for guidance to discern what would be 'right' in each occasion several times a day. I'm far from perfect, but I do try to live up to my own standards.

I do try and meditate every day, although my schedule the past month doesn't really allow it. I do read books and texts I consider 'spiritual' and that help me on my path once or twice a day, on most days. I have found advice that helps me in Marcus Aurelius, Buddhist texts, especially those dealing with the concept of metta (loving kindness), psychology books and parts of the New Testament. I do not really limit myself to the source of what might be helpful to me, especially since I do not adhere to any religion or dogma.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I may not necessarily spend time on a particular spritual ritual...I attend mass every Sunday/Holyday...I 'talk' to God on a daily basis, throughout the day as things are happening, whether it be to complain, ask for help, give thanks and praise, etc. I pray the rosary daily for weeks at a time, then not at all for a while.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Although I believe spirits need time, I haven't dedicated any to mine. I am such a restless buzzard.

I tried to get into yoga but I'd rather get the DVDs and do it at home than in a class. The "class" my mom enrolled me in was ran from someone's home and no matter how many times I rang the door bell and/or knocked ... no one came. I presume they wanted me to just walk in ... but I can't do that, it's against my morals. So I just left and never went back.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I put "1/2 to 1 hour daily" though it's more like 20 min. - 1/2 hour of devotions/reading/prayer most days and church on the weekends.

We listen to a Christian radio station in the car and we're usually always singing along... (OK, no - I didn't count that...)

I don't know if driving an hour, twice a day, to take my kids to a private Christian school 'counts' for anything, but I often think to myself that that sacrifice of time/gas/money is somewhat of a spiritual thing in itself, because it's important to me for spiritual reasons... (if that makes ANY sense?).

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I do yoga every other day, but I'm not sure if that's the spirituality you're after. I don't believe that I'm connecting with anything but myself and what's around me.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Everyone believes in the metaphysical.
Hmm, no - I think it all depends on your definition of "metaphysical" and I, personally, don't always take Wikipedia as the final authority or definition...

However, since that's the source quoted at the moment,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post

"...the term "metaphysics" has been used to refer to "subjects which are beyond the physical world". A "metaphysical bookstore," for instance, is not one that sells books on ontology, but rather one that sells books on spirits, faith healing, crystal power, occultism, and other such topics."
Several of these subjects I definitely do NOT "believe in".

But that's probably a topic for a different thread.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I said it's irregular because first, I'm don't usually define some of those sorts of activities in that way, so I don't think about how often, but also because I know that I need to do things like this more.

I'm defining "spirituality" as bringing oneself peace of mind, a sense of purpose, a sense of belonging with the universe so to speak.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I "flash" pray all day, but since I had the stroke, it feels like I lost all of my concentraition skills and am a baby Christian again. Oh well, I guess singing does count. I get so discouraged, and then a song will pop in my mind that encourages me, and I'll sing it out. I think I know where that song comes from don't cha' know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts