VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably eat 80% raw right now, simply because I'm too darned lazy to cook. I'm not eating well, though. I really need to read my veggie and raw books more, and try to get onto some sort of program. Does anyone have one that is good? I don't want to be 100% raw, because there are veggies I love cooked, like squash and greens, plus I love spaghetti and sauces, etc. So if I'm 80% raw, does that make me a raw foodist? I have read conflicting opinions, and not that it really matters, but I'm sorta into defining stuff.

Also, can you recommend some good books that may have menus and such? I'm still taking vitamins, because I know I'm not getting a balanced diet yet. I have a couple of vegetarian books; Eat More, Weigh Less by Dean Ornish (it seems very complicated, but I haven't really studied it) and High Road to Health by Lindsay Wagner, which is AWESOME and has lots of helpful recipes. I also have God's Way to Ultimate Health, which I haven't really read yet, but I hear if you can get past the religious aspect, it's good as well. I really need a good raw book. I downloaded an ebook, but haven't read it yet.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Live Raw by Mimi Kirk is good. Also, the Complete Book of Raw Food. Check Amazon and read the reviews. Ani Phyo has good books and recipes, too.

If 75% or more of your calories are from raw food, I would consider you a raw foodist. Some people say you must eat 100% raw to be one, but the original definition I have found says 75% or more. It doesn't really matter as long as you're happy. It's by calories, though; not volume. Cooked foods cals add up quickly, depending, esp. grains.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Live Raw by Mimi Kirk is good. Also, the Complete Book of Raw Food. Check Amazon and read the reviews. Ani Phyo has good books and recipes, too.

If 75% or more of your calories are from raw food, I would consider you a raw foodist. Some people say you must eat 100% raw to be one, but the original definition I have found says 75% or more. It doesn't really matter as long as you're happy. It's by calories, though; not volume. Cooked foods cals add up quickly, depending, esp. grains.
That's one problem I have is getting enough calories, because I actually don't eat enough. My body is in starvation mode, so I can't lose weight. I literally have to force myself to eat enough food, that's why I want a program with menus I can go by. I'll check out those books.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
I literally have to force myself to eat enough food, that's why I want a program with menus I can go by
Be careful dear - even if you are taking vitamins, you will get really tired if you don't have the energy - thats probably why you are (as you put it - not trying to offend) so lazy.

You said you like to cook some of your foods - have you tried investing in a slow cooker? They gently cook the food so you're not deforming so many of the vits and mins and you can just bung everything in and leave it all day on low if you want. This is what me and my bf do in the week when we cant be arsed to cook after work. We stick it on in the morning and its cooked by 5ish when we get in. Best thing I ever bought!

·
Registered
440 Posts
It actually a real phenomena, jessickah... I was anorexic (much better now, but not completely over it yet) and I was in starvation mode for a long time. I gained weight on ridiculously small amounts of calories and that's why I'm REALLY careful of always staying above a minimum of 1300 kcals a day. Anything below that and you might enter that. It's no fun, I tell you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.