VeggieBoards banner

How much money for food per person per week?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Atm we spend about £35 per person on food each week, and that includes toiletries, and kitchen supplies (like foil, grease proof paper) and cleaning supplies.

ETA: Google told me that was about $54 so that's what I put.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don't actually shop weekly, I do big shops less frequently and just do top ups for things like fresh produce and bread, but I estimate NZ$30 roughly, which currency converter says is about US$23.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Our bill is £45-£55 a week for two people. That is mostly food but also cleaning products, shampoo and soaps, tissues and so on. I guess about £20 per person.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oooops I didn't read it all before I voted. Lesson learned. Per person? Hard to say, our grocery bill is usually $200-$300 a week for four of us. But that includes bathroom necessities, vitamins, pet food, snacks, etc. So anywhere from $50-$75 per person. That is expected to increase as we move towards eating raw.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
$50. per person give or take a bit. We eat out maybe once a month. I'm sure most arent including the eating out part in this poll.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

$50. per person give or take a bit. We eat out maybe once a month. I'm sure most arent including the eating out part in this poll.
Do people generally consider eating out or takeaways as part of their food bill?

In my budget I put that under the luxuries/treats section. I buy the same foods each week (more or less) regardless of whether we get takeaway one night.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Do people generally consider eating out or takeaways as part of their food bill?

In my budget I put that under the luxuries/treats section. I buy the same foods each week (more or less) regardless of whether we get takeaway one night.
It takes away from what you would spend on actual groceries, so yeah I consider it part of their food bill.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you included eating out mine would go up by $10 to $20 in NZD per week. Some weeks I get a couple of coffees and lunches at uni rather than taking food from home, and the occassional dinner out with friends. I spent more like $30 (NZD) last week though. I was not being good with the savings!

ETA: Just thought, I should also take into account that I eat a meal at work 2 or 3 times a week, as we get a free staff meal on any 4 hour or more shift.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I voted wrong also I didn't see per person, I would say 25-60 dollars a week depending what we are having or what we would like to make. My husband went to the store the second time this week today and we will probley go this weekend sometime.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
For me, I can get by one about $10 or so lately. Sometimes it can be around $15. My school has been giving out free lunch to everyone because they haven't sorted out the free lunch program, and everyone automatically gets free breakfast all the time, so I get free breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday. Then my dinners can be pretty cheap, and we buy snacks in bulk and some snack are sides to lunch and breakfast at school so the snacks per week don't add up to much money. Everyone else in my family are more expensive, though, especially my parents, who often split a $7 frozen Michael Angelo meal at least once a week and grumble about me splurging on a $3 pack of 4 veggie burgers once in a while.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I would guess in the 40-60 range but honestly have no clue as my buying isn't regular. I buy fresh fruit/veggies soy milk etc. every week when I need them. Everything else is purchased bulk. I keep 6mo to a years worth of dry goods on hand, a pretty good variety of them as well... rice, beans, flours, barley, wheat berries, hot cereals, nuts as well as stocking up on big bags of frozen berries/veggies etc. I've never been big on convenience foods even before going veggie as I like to cook and do 90%+ of the cooking in our house... always have.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I picked 61-80, but didn't subtract the $7/wk I have to spend on delivery. Using public transportation would run me $6, so delivery isn't really that much more and several hundred times easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts