VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Companion animals, pets, fur babies - whatever you call them...

How much do you spend on them each month?

This of course will vary greatly, depending on where you live, what types of animals you have and if they have ongoing medical problems/vet fees, etc.., but I still thought it'd be interesting to see how much people spend on average...

*Oh, and this isn't a thread to argue what brands of food are superior or whether we should be feeding our dogs vegetarian diets - take that to the pet forum, thanks

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I spend $10-$15 on cat food and around $8-$9 on fish food. The fish supplies are more costly though (filter cartridges and water treatment chemicals), running around $15-$20.

So, on average: $35-40/month.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We have 4 cats here, they're not mine and I don't pay for them. We spend $4 a month on litter, we use wood stove pellets. The cats probably go through a bag of food every month which can't cost more than $20. I grow them wheatgrass, but that costs pennies. So I guess on 4 cats it's about ~$24 or $6 per cat a month. It's probably more. We don't have any sick kitties anymore, but we did have one that needed a $1700 surgery and several emergency room visits. We do have toys for them, but we haven't bought them anything new in a long time.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, since I started the thread:

So, we have three cats (two outdoors) and a small dog. I buy a premium brand of food but get it at the farm co-op in HUGE bags every other month, (we get the catlitter this way too) so I had to do a little math... we spend about 14$ on the cat's food, 6$ on the dog's food, 9$ on litter and 18$ on flea/tick products = 47$ a month.

I was actually shocked I spent that much and I am sure I spend a lot less than average for the number of animals we have.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
We have 3 large dogs, 1 cat, and 1 beta fish.

i dont even know, but i think the average not including vet visits would be approximately......$60......give or take.......

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I've always found it's better for our relationship if I never do the math. I have two cats I feed good quality wet and dry food and are picky about litter
an iguana who eats all fresh produce (specific fresh produce not sale stuff) uses lots of water and requires my room be kept in the 80's during the day and hight 70's during the night (energy bill). Then the fish tank, which isn't too bad but is about to become larger. I'd say I easily spend $100+ on all of them total, not including vet visits and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have three cats. The bags of food I buy them only are available in the 4 lbs bag at around $10 each?- I think we go through two of those a month.

Kitty litter - I buy two kinds in the huge bag size - $12 and $22 which last for about 4 litter changes. I change the entire box every two weeks.

No one medicines or anything. Some canned sardines as treats every once and a while - $2

So, maybe $40.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i have 3 cats and one 115lb. dog. so i try to buy the biggest bags of food at a time. i have them on prairie, but i just started shopping around a day or so ago on buying an extra freezer so i can start making their food myself. the dog is on regular prairie, two of the cats are on regular prairie and callie is on the raw instinct. this last food run was about $100 -falls over- it was a lot cheaper than that when i had them all on nutro. i think once i've switched them all over to raw food, it won't cost more than maybe 30$ a month for the 3 cats and 1 dog.

the food right now definitely isn't frugal. it's been hard finding something that works really well for all of them.

i don't know how much we spend on litter - we always get the cheap brands. my father goes out and buys those.

callie goes to the vet about twice a month for ongoing progress reports and treatments. the medicine she's on lasts about a month. so i spend about $60 a month on those, plus the cost of each vet visit. the vet i go has been really nice about it. he doesn't always charge full price, even though the practice isn't his. i don't know what they've worked out. i just have to put everything on the credit card and pay it off little by little.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I have four cats. I spend around $20 on litter a month. Two are outdoor/indoor but they almost always use the litter first and THEN go outside....go figure.

Approximately $30 a month on food and $30 a month on Mandi's meds.

So I guess my total is $80...sheesh, thanks, now I'm depressed....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

I've always found it's better for our relationship if I never do the math.
I hear you there! I have 3 cats, 2 dogs, 2 ferrets, 1 bunny, and 1 iguana. I don't know the exact figure but somewhere in the ball park of, oh let's say, A BOAT LOAD!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Most things pet-related are at least double the cost here that they are in the States. Dog food alone runs me $40+ a month for a Maltese and a miniature poodle. Grooming averages $20 a month. Treats and piddle pads, probably another $25. Most months, the total stays under $100.

We're getting ready to move, though, so I've spent a small fortune in the past few days. Citronella bark collar, refill and batteries to try to cure my barker cost $140. Doggie play pen and new bed to try to help w/ housebreaking in the new place cost another $60. Last night, I placed a $60 toy and treat order in the hope that treat balls help keep them entertained while I'm at work. (They'll be staying alone longer than they're used to for a couple of weeks.) Hubby would love to have a cat, but I'm not sure our budget can handle any more children at the moment!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 90 lb dog. Not including vet bills, the monthly cost of keeping him is quite high. We buy huge bags of dog food (Eagle Pack) that last us about a month and a half. They cost about 65$ per bag. We also have him on Revolution (flea and heartworm preventative) for about six months a year, which costs (probably?) 10 dollars a pop. We also spend about 10 dollars per month on treats. Right now, I'm working extra long hours and it's too cold in the dark to walk for long, so I have a dog walker coming in 3 times a week, which costs way too much.

So for food, Revolution and treats, we spend about 55-60 dollars per month.

And in February/March, when I need the dog walker, Chase costs me upwards of 250 dollars per month. (gasp, shock, goes into cardiac failure)

But you can't put a price on the love I get in return!

·
Registered
491 Posts
i have a 100lb dog on a raw diet. we buy his food in bulk. so $40-$45 per month for food and supplements.

the 4cats get dry food for now(im working on a raw diet for the cats)

3 of the cats get one kind. of food about $25 per month.

our little katrina kitty has sturvite crystals so she is on dry food from the vets $25 per month.

litter for the cats $10 per month.

a few times a week, we take ozzie(dog) to a doggie bakery and get him cookies, $10 per month.

i was just thinking, this almost sounds like one of those mastercard commercials.

- best friend....priceless.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oh man, this is a post I never wanted to make as the final results will surely scare me half to death!

4 dogs on raw, their food is mostly free as I have "connections" at a grocer who gives me their meat which will be disposed of that day. Thank god, or I'd be in the poor house. 1 dog I supplement with a premium dry kibble, $40/mo.

Heart medication for 1 = $37/mo

I am currently taking care of 18 cats, between my indoor cats and the outdoor ferals.

Indoor cat's litter = $25/mo

Indoor cat's food (Solid Gold) = $45/mo

Outdoor cat's expenses (canned & dry food, medicines, heat lamps) = $55/mo

Horse = $200/mo board

Farrier = $30/mo

Feed, Thyroid medication & Supplements = $20/mo

SO, if everyone is healthy, $452/mo.

AUUUGHHH!! I knew I didn't want to see the results of this post!!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
More than I care to calculate. We have three cats, all of whom eat premium food (Royal Canin), one who needs prescription food (big bucks). Although his health is pretty stable now, a couple of years ago we spent at least $5000 on vet costs for one of them (lots of tests and a few overnight stays). Then there's the cost of litter and yearly checkups. Anything for the kitties!

For my snake I just have to buy mice, which are about $1.50 each, but he only eats one a week, if that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts