VeggieBoards banner

How much can you get away with snacking?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  m.t.ness 
#1 ·
I'm 6'1" and probably underweight (was last time I checked), however I still feel a little worried when I have a cream-cake or a mars bar. How much should we really be worried about treating ourselves? Apart from say the odd chocolate bar a day (not everyday mind you), my diet is quite well-balanced. I don't eat crisps or have many fried foods.

#2 ·
I don't go much for junk food myself, but an occasional Green & Black's mint dark chocolate bar makes the world a better place, IMHO.

Seriously, if the large majority of your diet is well-balanced and healthy, a treat every now and then is fine.

#5 ·
I have a friend who eats well and exercises like a crazy person (she ENJOYS it the jerk! lol) and her nutritionist said that it's okay for her to have a full sized candy bar every day, since the rest of her diet is so well balanced and she burns off so many calories in a day. This thrilled her since she felt guilty about her chocolate "problem." She doesn't eat one every day now, but she CAN if she wants to. She also really likes Kashi Go Lean bars and has one of those for a choco fix some days.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I have a friend who eats well and exercises like a crazy person (she ENJOYS it the jerk! lol) and her nutritionist said that it's okay for her to have a full sized candy bar every day, since the rest of her diet is so well balanced and she burns off so many calories in a day. This thrilled her since she felt guilty about her chocolate "problem." She doesn't eat one every day now, but she CAN if she wants to. She also really likes Kashi Go Lean bars and has one of those for a choco fix some days.
Isn't it funny how sometimes you REALLY want to do something you think is not allowed (eat a chocolate bar or whatever), until you find out that you actually are allowed to do said thing and not get "in trouble" (aka gain weight) and then you don't want to do it anymore? Just the knowledge that you can do said thing guilt-free is all that you needed.

#7 ·
I think you need to treat yourself to junk food occasionally for your psychological health. When you deprive yourself all the time, that's not healthy and can actually result in totally abandoning a healthy diet. I know when I don't allow myself desserts or treats for a long time, I get frustrated and I'm craving the stuff so badly that I end up bingeing on it.

#8 ·
I have the mentality that because I'm slim I can afford to have a treat or two a day, as long as I don't overdo it.

A common eating day for me -

Breakfast - Bran flakes, Banana, and Multi-Vit tablet.

Lunch - Two fried egg rolls with mustard cress & mayo.

Snack - Orange

Dinner - Mashed potato, beans, and veggie burgers.

Dessert - Average chocolate bar or something like that.

Supper - Peanut Butter Sandwich.

#13 ·
Maybe you would want less junk if you ate more food? My boyfriend is 6' tall and is slightly overweight (he could stand to lose about 15 lbs), and he maintains his weight with TONS more food that you do in a day. (In fact, he was maintaining it with even more food than he eats now but he cut back because he is trying to lose the weight.) I just can't imagine him getting through a day on the amount of food you eat.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_D View Post

I have the mentality that because I'm slim I can afford to have a treat or two a day, as long as I don't overdo it.

A common eating day for me -

Breakfast - Bran flakes, Banana, and Multi-Vit tablet.

Lunch - Two fried egg rolls with mustard cress & mayo.

Snack - Orange

Dinner - Mashed potato, beans, and veggie burgers.

Dessert - Average chocolate bar or something like that.

Supper - Peanut Butter Sandwich.
I'm a 6ft0 guy weighing in at 145lbs. I snack on stuff like fruit, rice cakes, toffees and vegan chocolate, but every so often I might indulge in something bigger like a toffeecake or something.

As far as I see it, as long as your idea of a snack isn't a couple of family-size bars of Cadbury chocolate, you're fine.

#15 ·
Totally agree with moderation, moderation, moderation. I think it's healtheir in the long run TO indulge within reason... Too bad I can't remember where I saw it, but I did once see the results of a study which determined that people who indulge actually live longer than people who are really strict. Live a little and pass the chocolate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.