VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saileeney View Post

Is taking a multi vitamin (6 mcg of B12) enough or do I need a seperate supplement?

Thanks!

~ Aileen
I would say it's not enough. I take 2000 mcg once a week, TwinLab Sublingual Vegetarian 500 mcg dose tablets.

But, I would suggest reading up on it so you know all about dosage suggestions and would recommend Vegan Outreach's info on B-12 as a good place to start:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/health/b12letter.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great info..but i'm still confused.

the vegan outreach site said "take one B12 supplement daily providing at least 10 micrograms"

the vitaminb12 .com site said 2.4 mcg for women ages 19+

That seems like a big difference. I think I will go with the former because it was written for vegans and it also said "There is no harm in exceeding the recommended amounts"

Thanks to everyone who responded!

·
Banned
97 Posts
It depends.

If youve been a vegan a long time without supplementing, you might need mega-doses to catch up on deficiencies. If you tend to be a nervous jittery person, it might do you well to take a little more and cut back on your sugar/carb intak while your at it. B-12 is great for the nervous system.

Otherwise, if your a vegan eating some fortified food, a couple times a week with Methylcobalamin will do you good. Make sure it has methyl in front of it to get the best kind

·
Registered
89 Posts
I take the 6mcg amount too (as cyanocobalamin). It lists that as being 100% of the daily value so i figured it was okay. Plus a fact I drink soymilk that is B12 fortified. But I don't want to rely soley on either so at least together I feel I am getting a good amount. I hope I'm correct. Since I am a new Vegan I will see how this feels and once I get to a doctor for a checkup I'll inquire about it as well.

I eat very healthy so this is really the only thing that concerns me at the present time. But I'd worry more if I wasn't taking a multivitamin at all!

I just don't want any deficiencies and if so, I'd like to be able to notice the changes right away so I can fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts