VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well, my best friend went veg *right* after me. It wasn't because I tried to convert him. I think I just told him why and he agreed that it was a good idea.

That's the closest thing I've ever gotten to a conversion.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a friend at work who asked tons of questions when I went vegetarian and then vegan. She narrowed her meat eating down to only fish. Then, after I lost more weight by eliminating dairy and eggs from my diet she was really interested. Borrowed the books I was reading (i.e. Being Vegan) and gave it a go. (Yes, I know that being vegan is more than food.) So, she thought that as long as what she was eating contained no animal ingredients she didn't have to limit her portions and she gained weight. Gave it up right after that. I told her if she was doing it as a way to lose weight it wasn't the right reason. I think of it as a lifestyle a confirmation of my beliefs, not a "diet". So, I am a failure with my one chance.
lol

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well a couple of girls said they were vegetarian, but still ate chips fried in animal fat and lollies full of gelatin and I managed to get them to stop eating those things. I've also made a friend go off cheese after I told her it contained renett (is that how u spell it?). But I don't believe someone can convert unless they truly believe in the whole animal issue, so I don't pressure anyone. But in saying that, when I have kids I will bring them up to my beliefs and eating habits.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Outside of the computer, I've helped a couple people go vegetarian, but not necessarily vegan. Well there was one woman who use to be vegan that I got to go back to it. I've nudged several people in that direction. My husband is vegan at home, but eats as he chooses while out. Since being in Iraq though, he has told me that he wants to go veg for good when he gets home!

I've had strangers email me about my site saying it helped them make the switch and I am constantly trying to gently persuade customers at work.

I never try to force it on people or lecture them because that seems to just defeat the purpose. It's a good feeling to know I'm making a difference.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
The only person I've even come close to converting is one of my friends at college. She sometimes posts on here as scarletboo. A year and a half ago, I wanted to try going vegan for the New Year (I was influenced by some wonderful people on VB!), and she offhandedly asked what my New Year's resolutions would be. I told her what I had planned, and after a few minutes of thinking about it, she announced that she'd try it, too. Now mind you, at that point she was omni and had never thought about veg*nism before AFAIK. She tried her best, and I applaud her for giving it her all, especially when she had to mostly eat from the school cafeteria. After a few months (I think), she went to lacto-ovo, and over the summer she reverted to omni.

When I saw her again at the beginning of the school year, I asked her how veg*nism was going. Somehow the topic had never come up all summer, and we hadn't eaten together during that time. She slightly embarassedly told me, "I'm a meat-eater now." As far as I remember, I said, "Oh," and didn't criticize her for that choice. She and I both well understand that her nature is to decide things on a whim and then later change again.

Thank the Lord, though, she's trying to be veg*n again now! I think this time she's better informed and more committed. Of course, you could just ask her yourself.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
A co-worker has been vegetarian for 2 or 3 years because of me.
Although I think she's easily influenced because another co-worker is turning her into a Jehovah's Witness.
And my sister went vegetarian for 2 years. She has since gone back to eating fish but she doesn't eat any other types of meat.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
One friend has made an effort to decrease her meat consumption, and I think for awhile she'd given up everything but fish, but I'm not sure how that's going these days. I didn't really convert her...seeing my efforts to go vegan from ovo-lacto veg inspired her to research the subject herself and her findings spurred her into action, I guess.

Jerry will eat veg*an food if I prepare it...he even ate my disastrous attempt at making seitan...but the chances of him going veggie are practically nil.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the only person i've sorta converted is my boyfriend, but he still eats dairy and chicken or fish on occasion. although, he has agreed that when we finally move in together, our home will be vegan (oh but he may sneak cheese in every once in a while), yet he'll eat how he wants when we go out (which isn't really a problem since we typically eat at veg*an places.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
i converted three online people to become vegetarian
i don't even try to either, i just start rambling about it sometimes and i guess it hits home with certain caring people..

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I helped a friend of mine go from vegetarian to vegan and I've been working on my sister.

I think I've influenced a fair number of peopel but I wouldn't say that I converted anyone yet.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I doubt if I've 'converted' anyone, but I think Veg*nism is highly infectious and I'm a carrier of the good news

Mum, brother, Dad, uncle, aunt, friends at work, friends at college, lovers, neighbours. And then they've passed it on to their kids and their contacts.... mwuhahahahahah......mingle for power!

·
Registered
0 Posts
My ex was 100% veg*n at home, since I did all the cooking. I'm friends with him now, and whenever we go out to eat together, he eats veg*n. Not (just) because he thinks I'd want that but because he thinks it's good. He also eats 90% veg*n at home plus the occasional fish. My current boyfriend is omni, but he eats vegan at home, except for the very occasional cheese. My little brother has recently stopped eating a lot of things because of me, but he's still very young (16) and it's going to take him some time. But I think he's on his way.
But because of me and him, my mom now cooks very veg*n at home, and both of my little brothers thus eat mostly veg*n. My other little brother (14 yrs) is very big on meat, so he'll never be veg*n, but at least he's learned to eat and like lots more veggies.
My little sister is vegetarian but she's working towards vegan because of me. Me and her have a different mom, so she never lived with us. We grew up not knowing each other but we're still both veg*n.
So after I met her she started to use less milk.

Oh and I've introduced lentils to people at work! So lentil soup is now a big lunch hit instead of chicken soup

I guess I've done pretty well.. *proud*

·
Registered
0 Posts
well when i was about 13 i told my friend (who was highly hormonal and desperate to "save the world!") that if she wanted to join greenpeace she would just have to go veggie. She did however she eats gelatin still i think.

I try and feed my friends veggie/vegan food if they come round and they often suprise themselves on how nice it is. I ask people if they have ever thought of going veggie but if they say no they say no and i belive no amount of pursauding will change their minds.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I haven't converted anyone to becoming a full out vegetarian, but I have made people more aware of the lifestyle. I work with two very charming omni eating women and before I started here, neither knew anything about vegetarianism. Now they know about tofu, veggie burgers, veggie mayo and drink soy milk. I even got our receptionist to shop in the organic section of Krogers . My sister who used to think that I was crazy is now a professed veggie burger eater and she told my mom that she now drinks soy milk and considered buying tofu. I figure that I am halfway there with her
My friends are very aware of my being veggie and before we eat a meal, they check with me to make sure that I can eat it or that a viable alternative is available. I just enjoy educating people about vegetarianism and hope that someday someone will follow my example - it gets lonely being the only vegetarian among my friends and family.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeh im the only veggie in my family too which is annoying because i always cook too much and am forever eating left overs!

I got a couple of veggie friends which is nice but none of them i would say are "hardcore" i think 2 of them eat fish... so no veggie parties round my house
(

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I've not relaly converted anyone. i've informed people online, and hopefulyl helped them to go veg, but I've not exactly converted anyone. But my friends are all aware that I like food, and they're quite interested in what I eat.

I've influenced people to not eat meat on some occasions. i had a friend trying falafel, and my little broter has tried making fajitas with quorn, as I used to do this, and he loved my fajitas.

·
Registered
750 Posts
coverted 2 to vegan

3 technically, but third is sell-out and as such doesnt count for anything

converted 2 to vegetarians

and also made a few 'vegetarians' and 'vegans' stop their litlte consuming of dairy products, eggs, and fish

im working on one right now

Caroline

1 - 20 of 47 Posts