VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
no - are you eating other fats, in addition? it's the overall consumption of everything, not just one thing.

as for the corn, is that the only ingredient?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fat i eat is nuts like i said and 1 tsp flax oil thats all i think and tiny bits from yoghurt and bread ect........ and the corn is just something i add to my stir fry?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am no expert on nuts but in this context, ie weight gain and anorexia recovery, surely nuts are a great way for you to get your healthy fats? Personally, I would say go with whatever way you can best cope with getting those healthy fats to help your body. I have not personally heard about an upper limit on how many to have. If in doubt, google.

Of course, it would be optimal to have variety in where your fats are coming from, but I myself well know that sometimes, it's what you can deal with psychologically that is the way to go. Be gentle with youself

I have succumbed to the tinned babycorn too
They are delicious and well, they don't hurt my insides whereas I find many other types of veggies cause me pain due to my very poor digestion. I worry though, that you and I were both attracted to them on the shelf as they are not many calories. Yes? Either way, I myself think they're OK, although I always assume fresh is better than canned except in the case of tinned tomatoes for example, or some frozen veggies which can be full of vitamins and minerals.

Good luck, you are doing so great, you are in my thoughts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The thing is the more nuts you eat the more omega-6 fatty acids you get. It's hard to say how many nuts still are healthy as it depends on your source of omega-3 fatty acids (your tsp of flax oil).

I would consider 25 g of nuts and 1 tsp of flax oil healthy.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
hon, I know it's hard, but you need to stop worrying so much about whether or not what you're eating is healthy. Getting good nutrition is important, but it's not good to obsess over it. Everything in moderation.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

hon, I know it's hard, but you need to stop worrying so much about whether or not what you're eating is healthy. Getting good nutrition is important, but it's not good to obsess over it. Everything in moderation.
I'm guilty of obsessing over how healthy my diet is too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Specialk,

You are definitely not eating too many nuts. I am a very small person, who is relatively sedentary, and maintaining a normal healthy weight, and I eat about 60 gms of nuts a day myself. In my brain, its actually 2 ounces, so I had to translate this into grams just to figure out that I was eating your upper limit! For a person who needs to gain some weight, I would say that 60grams of nuts is a good place to start, but that you may find that you need more.

Each persons requirements are a bit different based on their individual needs for calories and fat. For example, a world class athlete should eat a greater quantity of this kind of food than a small, overweight sedentary person. A person who needs to gain weight should eat more nuts than a person who needs to lose weight.

Nuts are very healthy for you and will stop your skin from getting too dry from lack of fat. As far as the omega-3's go, walnuts and ground flax seeds are both excellent sources. Furthermore, it is my understanding that the ground flax seeds actually have more omega-3's per calorie than the oil, and are less prone to rancidity. I personally use the flax seeds rather than the extracted oil because I'm a whole foods kind of person, preferring to eat whole foods rather than extracted oils.

Claudia

·
Registered
208 Posts
I do not think that is too much unless you are trying to lose weight.

I eat 2-4 ounces of nuts and seeds per day. Rember seeds are more nurtitious than nuts. Nuts are still super healthy though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts