VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed in other threads that some of us are moms or would soon like to be moms. I was just wondering who exactly is a mom and how old your children are. I figure we can swap advice and stuff about raising kids vegetarian, or not raising them vegetarian. My son is 9 1/2 months old and his name is Mason. I am currently a stay at home mom and loving it! I love to cook, so I have been posting my dinner recipes on the recipe forum. Anyway, I look forward to 'meeting' you other moms.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Mom here! My daughter, Dorothy Alicia, just turned 5 yesterday. Wow - so hard to believe that it has gone by so quickly. Just 5 years ago, I ended 30 hours of induced labor by having a C-Section! No, I don't even remember it, which doesn't surprise me - she remembers everything, and I can barely remember what I posted 5 minutes ago. A Mother's mind is a terrible thing to waste!

I'll be 41 in a few months, btw, and have been married for nearly 15 years. This child will be the one and only. She's omni, but hates meat, milk, etc. in general, and doesn't like to eat that much period. I am sure that she will end up Veg*n on her own accord. However, since at this point she only eats about 8 foods, it's a never ending challenge.

Now if I could just figure out how to slip a piece of tofu into her mouth when she is either sleeping or screaming......(just kidding....sorta)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
hello i am a mommy. i have 3 daughters ages Casey 16, Chrysalin 11 and Lilly 3. the older two are from my first marriage and are part time vegans. (only when with me) the youngest has been raised vegan.

you can see my sweet girls in the photo album

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a Mommy, of 5 kids. They're omni (eat meat if taken out for dinner 'cause I don't make it in my house) but I'm working on it. Ages 16,12,11,9,7. They haven't had meat for a loooong while and haven't complained.....yet
The oldest, a boy, tends to be the first to voice complaints. Teenagers (sigh)

Lisa

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Beachgirl

Jeez......I must be the oldest person around! I'm a mommy of 4 children - 24, 22, 21 and 17. I am also a "grammie" to 7 - yes, thats right.........7! Ages 13, 11, 9, 4, 3, 2, 2! How's that for a mommy!

Actually, my daughter just married a man who had the three older ones, but they get treated no different than any of the other grandkids. And we get called "grammie and grampie" because my husband and I are only 42!!!!!!! I mean, there is no way I would sit around and knit.....I take the babies on the ride at the amusement parks!

I married when I was 18 and my husband was military - we lived overseas and my kids were brought up in the tropics. It was lovely - too bad he was a jerk! HA

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I have 2 cats...They think of me as "mom"

And my BF's 2 kids, whose mother is a nutcase and should be in a rubber room with a missing key. Of course, if the kids ask, I like her

I doubt I'll ever have my own. Then again, it may change. But, if I don't have any, it won't be the worse thing to ever happen to me. Besides, if I have kids, I won't be able to be as selfish as I am now

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
hello all!! i am a stay at home mom of three year old boy/girl twins..sage garrick and jade jasmine respectively. this is a very trying age for us, but i am sure we will all come away unscathed!!! sinec there are only two kinds of children (boy & girl) these are our first and last!! plus labor was to scary to even entertain the idea of doing it again on purpose!! we are all working towards veganism and have not had any problems so far. my kids basically have always been ovo lacto veg, and a few months ago i dropped eggs and dairy. trying to get them to pronounce tabboulleh has been a funny challenge though!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am a mama! i have one spectacular little girl who will be 18 months old in about a week!

i really, really want to raise her vegan but she is such a horrible picky eater that i get lax with it and goldfish crackers from time to time. (her grandma bought them for her.) hopefully, she'll soon develop an interest in all the yummy lentils, tofu, soygurt and veggies i keep putting in front of her!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a 36yo (will be 37 in August) mother of three. I have a 16½ year old son, Daniel, from my first marriage and two daughters, 5 (Allyson) and 4 (Emily) from my current marriage.

It's a turbulent journey. There is no love or sacrifice like one has for their children.

Oh yeah ... son is omni ... girls and hubby are veg.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i am 24 years old and a very pround mommy of a 6 year old girl named a.j. she's pretty good about eating what i make her. but when she goes elsewhere, she's omni. my husband and i are separating and i don't want any kids after im 30 so she will probably be my one and only

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a soon to be mother. 5 months pregnant. i am excited about raising a veggie baby...i'm not vegan but very low in the lacto-ovo dept and hope to never introduce my little one to cow's milk...any advice for me?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm a MOM!!!! Of course everyone can see this from my picture. Madison, the smallest of the two of us, is my nearly six year old daughter. Yikes, they grow fast!

Same here aj'smommy, Madison eats without complaint at home (and in her lunch) but out and about still requests chicken. However, there's been a big improvement in her diet overall, so I'm very excited to see all the veggies she's added to her list of 'acceptable.'

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Peacecat- In regards to not giving her cow's milk.......be sure to take a class on breastfeeding. Though it may seem natural and like it would be easy, I can tell you from experience, it is NOT!

Now, it is not a problem for all moms, but it can be a problem. My son was born tounge tied. That means his tounge was attached from under his tounge to the tip of his tounge, so he couldnt stick out his tounge at all. This caused him to be unable to breast feed very well

I tried EVERYTHING, but I couldnt find any doctor in my area that would cut the frenulum with out putting him under anathesia, even though my books said it was no big deal. So after 3 months, I gave up
. It was the most difficult discision I have ever made, and I still have some regrets. I chose to put him on milk formula because studies have found that it is possible for some kids to build up an allergy to soy if you give it to them too early. Now, this is in a small percent of kids, but I didnt want to take the chance. I figured 12 months of milk was worth a lifetime of soy. But that is just me.

I cant wait until he is a year old and then I will switch him to soy milk. Anyway, my point is, if you take a breast feeding class then you have a better chance of being able to breast feed.

Other than that, I dont see any reason why not giving your child milk products would be a problem. I give Mason soy yogurt and soy cheese and he loves it.

*Oh, one more thing.. give your baby as much variety of food as possible before s/he is one year old. There are a lot of books that can tell you which months to introduce foods, and I suggest doing your best to give your child as much exposure to different tastes and textures as possible. I found the book- New Vegetarian Baby by Sharon K Yntema and Vegetarian Children by the same author very helpful.

Congradulations and good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a Mom too.
I have three wonderful kids, a 13-year-old daughter (she floats around here sometimes, her name is moo) and two sons, ages 10 and 2. (I'll be 46 in a couple of weeks, so you can just forget about being the oldest, smaurer.)

My older kids have always been vegetarian. I've only been vegan for about a year and a half (vegetarian since 1986), but I've always had vegan tendencies (didn't wear leather, used only minimal dairy and eggs). My younger child has never had cow's milk, but he has had some cheese here and there from his dad. (My husband is omni, but vegetarian at home.) All my cooking is vegan.

My older kids are now voluntarily trying to become vegan. It's hard, as I know only too well, having been vegetarian for many years before finally making the switch. For me it was butter that held me back but with the discovery of Earth Balance it all became possible!
Anyway, everyone is pretty healthy here. My kids were all breastfed (and the last one was the hardest to get started, even though he was the only full-term baby and my third). Definitely ask for bf help if you need it, peacecat. Sometimes it's difficult, but usually it's possible. I can refer you to a nice breastfeeding/parenting board that I go to if you like.

Good idea starting this thread, beachgirl!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I am a 31 year old single mom (w/bf of 3 years though) of Christopher, age 13 (14 in July! Eeek!) and Christine, age 11. I don't cook them meat or buy it when we go out, but they eat school lunch (bleach!) and will eat meat at friends' houses. They're pretty accepting of it all in all. My daughter loves to make vegan corn bread and my son likes to cook different veg things, but what he creates sometimes is... well... HE likes it!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts