VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do or would you leave your kitty home alone?

i leave him for a couple days at a time if i'm going up north, the only time i was gone longer, like over a week, i had someone come by and check on him.

but. now that we've moved, i have nobody to come by and see him. i'm leaving late tonight and coming back boxing day. i'm not worried about him getting into things and destroying the place, i'm just worried cause he doesn't seem to eat much when we're away. i'll leave 2 giant bowls of dry food and 2 giant bowls of water plus leave the tap dripping for him.

the water will almost be empty when i get back and the food will barely be touched.

over a weekend this is no big deal, but a week? is that ok? i can't bring him with me, it's a 5-6 hour drive and he hates being in the car, and the cat at my mom's is very old and hates other cats, she'd freak out if i brought him there.

so far i figure i'll leave lots of water and dry food, and leave him some canned food as well, cause he may be more likely to eat that since he very rarely gets any. but that won't last more than a day.

what can i do to keep him amused and from getting lonely? hide treats around the house? leave a tv on?

ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hiding treats doesnt sound like a bad idea... as long as you dont have an ant problem. TV sounds like a good idea too.

Maybe leave a bunch of toys laying around the house if you have some. Our cats seems to have the opposite problem. When we were gone for 3.5 weeks (we had people come over to check on them), our cat must have gained 5lbs or so by the time we came back.. She was HUGE! Also, whenever she gets yelled at after getting into trouble, she heads straight for her food. Sometimes we even have to hide it. I think she weighs 14 lbs now, with a big huge belly.. If she keeps it up, she's gonna get some sort of cat diet food... hehe

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
It partly depends on the cat. A week seems a bit long. You probably don't have much money, but maybe you could go to the vets and ask if they have a technician or someone else trustworthy you could pay just to pay a visit or two during the week. They could change the litter box and make sure the cat wasn't in any trouble or anything.

As far as loneliness, I leave the TV on while I am at work. You could also put a timer on some of your lights or radios.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dunno, i may be worrying for nothing, but i just feel really bad leaving him for that long. even if someone came in to check, they'd just check his food and leave, it's him being lonely that i'm worried about, but when strangers come in the house he usually just hides

·
Registered
0 Posts
Definitely leave a radio on and consider trying to get someone to pop in. I've always thought that I have a cat proof home and have still found my cats in situations where the result could easily have been an emergency trip to the vet's.

Can you leave more than 2 bowls? The reason that I ask is that at our place, between food bits getting in the water, paws going in or toys and play knocking bowls over, it's not uncommon for me to come home at the end of the day and find 2 out of 3 or 4 bowls almost empty at the end of the day.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he's usually pretty good, but yeah once when we left for a couple of days i came back to a horrible mess, he knocked one food dish into one of the water dishes, there was water and soggy food everywhere.

i'm leaving 2 bowls of each, he doesn't eat much when i'm away and even if one bowl gets knocked, the other usually ends up being enough, but i'm also going to plug the bathroom sink and fill it with a bit of water. 80% of the time he'd rather drink from the sink than his dish. i usually just leave the tap dripping but now that we pay for our water service the guys probably won't go for that idea.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i stashed a little kittyweed (catnip) in his cubby and on his scratching post. with hopes that it'll make him hyper so i know he'll be running around at least a little bit and not just lying by the window moping.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Do you have a friend who might like to watch your cat in their own home while you're away? Do you have any elderly folks you know who need something to do?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
like i said i just moved to that city and know no-one. in any case i'm heading home tomorrow, i should be home around 5 or 6pm.

·
Registered
0 Posts
How'd he make out?

We left our five when we went out of town to visit my parents from the afternoon of Dec 24 to this afternoon. We're a little overprotective, I guess, and Jay (my spouse)'s father and brother love cats anyway, so we had them pop in the first evening and then again yesterday. Tar squeaked at me for a full 2-3 minutes when we arrived (his way of greeting me when he's happy) and now three of them are stretched out on Jay as he naps on the sofa. Bliss!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he's fine thanks for asking

keeps following us around meowing for attention all last night and all day today, rubbing against our legs all the time etc. he's a little attention deprived but otherwise fine. he did run out of water at some point so i gave him some canned food when we got home to make sure he got some fluids in case he was dehydrated, but he seemed fine, he probably ran out that day. and he found all but one of the treats i hid

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Do you have any ideas for what you might do differently next time you go away?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
If you're like me... well, let's not go there. I just don't like cats very much to begin with. I missed my dog, tho, while on vacation.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i missed him and was pretty worried about him the whole time i was away.

i dunno, next time i probably won't leave him alone for that amount of time. i'm usually only gone for 3 to 4 days max and he's fine. i always leave some water in the sink, 2 bowls of food and of water, and a radio playing. i also open all the curtains in the house to make sure he gets enough daylight and street light at night cause the house gets very dark, plus he can look outside.

i prefer leaving him alone here than i did when we lived in apartment buildings. at least this way when he looks outside he sees people and cars and squirrels, as opposed to treetops and clouds and maybe an occassional bird if he's lucky.

the squirrels around here are plentiful and pretty tame, they come right up onto the window ledge and drive him crazy, so i'm sure he was well amused while i was gone

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
*chuckles* Perhaps he was entertained, or perhaps he smashed himself up against the glass in an effort to get out and 'play' with the squirrels.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nah, he's dumb but not quite that dumb

there's a line of snot/drool across the window though where he paces back and forth on the back of the couch with his nose to the glass

·
Registered
0 Posts
Glad your cat made it through fine. Oh the worrying, I know well about that. I worry about the birds when I'm gone, too. If I'm in the other room and quiet for too long Lenny calls to me-he goes "tweet tweet?" Then I'll make a birdy sounding noise to him. Then if I can't hear him singing from the other room I'll tweet to him and he will tweet back to let me know he is fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts