VeggieBoards banner

On average, how long does it take you to fall asleep at night?

• under 5 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 to 15 minutes

• 16 to 30 minutes

• 31 to 45 minutes

• 46 minutes to 1 hour

• 1 hour to 2 hours

• more than 2 hours

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take you to fall asleep at night? I'm talking from when you go lay your head on the pillow unitl you close your eyes. It takes me seemingly forever, even on "good" nights, I'm wondering what is common place.

It's multiple choice for those who have "good" or "normal" nights and "insomnia" nights. Good nights for me are a little over half an hour, bad nights well over 2 hours.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
95% of the time, I'm out within 5 minutes. On the rare night, it might take 10-15 minutes....

wasn't always the case... I've dealt with insomnia before (it sucks HARD). But lately (like the last year and a half) I sleep fast and solid...

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How in heck did I manage to put this in "weight loss"? Could a mod please kindly move it to general health with all the other insomniacs?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I vary a lot, especially since my schedule is so weird now (6AM -2PM 2 days/week, 8pm-whenever I'm done, usually around 5-6AM 3 days a week). When I'm sleeping normal hours I'm out pretty quick now because I'm so exhaused but on days where I'm trying to go to sleep at 6 or 7 in the morning it takes foreven, and I'll usually wake up quite a bit during the "night" and then it takes another good 45+ min to go back to sleep.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Falling asleep was never my problem...it's staying asleep that eludes me.
Same here. I am always the first one up, usually for hours. I'm getting preety good at knowing the TV schedule at 3 am!

·
Registered
78 Posts
5-15 minutes??? wow. i don't think i have ever experienced that. well, maybe if i was drinking and/or smoking a lot of marijiuana.

lately for me it was been about 2-3 hours...then i wake up throughout the night. when it's finally time to get up i am absolutley exhausted and too depressed to get up so i'm in bed for a couple more hours. i'm on prozak and i've read that it causes insomnia so i think that might be it.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I voted 31-45 minutes. I didn't realise it was multiple choice. I have "bad nights" where it's more than that. When I was a bit younger I had terrible nights where it would take me several hours.

If I've had alcohol, though, even just a little bit, I fall asleep quite soon after getting into bed.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

i'm on prozak and i've read that it causes insomnia so i think that might be it.
I'm the opposite. Prozac helps me sleep. Not like a sleeping pill in that you take it and go to sleep, but when I'm on a decent dose my insomnia evaporates. The "kicking in" period though, the first two or weeks or so of starting to take it, I find it plays havoc with my sleep patterns. My insomnia is at times quite severe and seems related to my seratonin levels. Or that's what I'm assuming since SSRIs are the only thing that shakes it when I have severe depression. It is most definately related to depression for me, the worse my depression is the worse my insomia is, especially the "early waking" kind.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
No regularity for me. Sometimes 5 minutes. sometimes hours. Sometimes I sleep the night through, sometimes I wake up every hour.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's only about 10 mins for me, especially if the tv is on in the bedroom. I had insomnia for a short while a few years back and it sucked, not the type you have where you can't fall asleep, but the type where you go to sleep and then wake up a while later. Relaxation techniques got rid of it in the end.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've always found alcohol keeps me awake...

I've tried sleeping tablets but I feel just as tired in the morning, so I'm going to stick with trying relaxation techniques and herbal medicines for the time being.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Usually not longer than half an hour. If I have something on my mind that I keep replaying or mulling, it might take an hour or more.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Takes about 5 or 10 for me.

Ocassionally, if I'm a bit stressed about something, it'll take about an hour or so.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts