VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
2 to 3 min at the most

Seriously now, I have kept homemade hummus (made from canned or cooked chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh garlic and spices) in the fridge up to 3 days and I'm alive. Does the "powder version" require you to put lemon juice in it? Because that would kind of "preserve" the hummus. Otherwise, maybe rather not take the risk, and better eat leftovers no later than the next day.

Try preparing homemade hummus, it's absurdly easy, tastes great and even freezes well.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
3-4 days is pretty safe, I think. I've not had hummus around longer than that, I think.

But seriously, yeah...try refrigerated or homemade hummus. That box stuff is something that only vaguely resembles real hummus.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Not long enough. I mean, I love the stuff, but I just can't eat it that fast. I've been trying to find smaller containers but so far no luck. And I'm the only person in the household who likes it...eh.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Wow really?? I make hummus all the time and I'll eat it for no more thna 5 days but I regularly do that. I make bread and hummus on Monday and kind of munch on it all during the work week for easy snacks. Yikes! I didn't know it went bad that fast- i'm a compulsive date checker but it's tough when you make it yourself... thanx!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Funny this should come up. Just a few weeks ago I made a bunch, too much actually. I had a little bit every day or every other day. It took me a week to get through it all. Starting on the third day I was real careful to look at it and smell it to see if ANYTHING seemed weird. Each time it seeemd just fine. I did not get sick. So I can say I have stored some covered in the fridge for a week with no problem.

ETA - I made my own hummus, I did not get the stuff from the store. That stuff is so salty it's almost inedible (in my opinion).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had no idea where to look in the store for refridgerated hummus, but I finally saw it yesterday. However none of it was just plain hummus. All of it was some type of red pepper or emphasized the olive oil and garlic. I'm sure their good, but sometimes plain is nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.