VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how long can i wait to pay my hospital bill? I dont want to ruin my credit but i would rely like to wait til after the holidays. I went to the hospital in the beginning of november so that would be 2 months. Is that too long?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
You need to call them and set up a payment plan if you are unable to pay. There should be a pay by date, and if you just ignore it, it could affect your credit rating.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Definitely setup a payment plan. They will tell you they have a minimum amount but if you can't afford that you just tell them YOUR minimum and they'll reluctantly agree. In my experience at this point or at some point in the relatively near future they will try to get you to pay it all off by offering a certain percentage off. This ranges from 15% to 50% (or maybe more). One time I owed $3600 and was paying like $50 a month. After two months they called me up and said they'd cut it in half if I paid it all. I wrote them a check. Not always an option but if you can swing it go for it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I work at a collection agency. We collect a lot of medical and insurance debts. As long as you adhere to whatever you promise to pay, on the timeline you agree to pay it, there isn't much they will do negatively toward you. They can't refuse whatever money you send. Honestly, most medical bills never get credit reported. Unpaid bills get "written off" and the money is recovered through higher insurance premiums and costs of services for the rest of us. Our collectors offer a lot of settlements on such things. 75-50% is common. It's in the best interest of the medical facility to take half the money in a lump sum and waive the rest rather than $10 a month for the next decade, where they spend more in payment processing than they ever actually recover.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Can't you agree to leave your body to medical science, then receive any further treatments for free?
That would be a deal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts