VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought the teen forum looked a little bit like a ghost town lately, so...new thread! How is your school year going so far? Classes, friends, lunch, extracurriculars, etc?

This is my junior year and it's packed with AP classes, SATs, and I've joined quite a few new clubs so I've been extremely busy/exhausted lately
but getting into college will make it worth it, right? I hope so! On a happier note, my school is occasionally offering veggie burgers at lunch this year, so that's a plus! Yay for vegetarian options!

·
Registered
12 Posts
well, in Spain is different so i'm gonna put a picture becouse i don't know how to explain it. I'm in 4th of ESO, and it's the last course.

In class we have digital books with laptops, i go to eat at home so i don't know how's the food, but they haven't got any veg*n option!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey! Yes, APs and clubs look amazing on college applications. I'm a senior this year and school is going great. I'm doing theater this year so i've had to stay after for practices. Sadly the only veg thing i can get at my school is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. ( It gives me an excuse to practice my cooking though).
Addaia : That's cool how they do schooling in Spain.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Addaia: Schooling in Spain seems really interesting. So, you graduate from high school at age 16? In the U.S., we usually graduate at age 18, but I skipped a grade and have a late birthday, so I'll be 16 haha. Also, digital books with laptops?? I'm so jealous of you. My friend's private school near mine has iPads this year, lucky!

1smemae94: Aw, nonetheless there's nothing like a good pb&j, and yes, more incentives for cooking are always better.
I used to do theater in middle school and loved it, but at my high school now it's all musicals and I act but don't really sing.... Have you started applying to colleges yet? I'd be so anxious and stressed if I were a senior.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well mine sucks. I have all honors and im the youngest kid in my grade... like you i skipped a grade. My twin brother didn't though so we are in different grades. I do the play and art club and a dogdeball club which rocks
I am pretty small... Im applying for a private high school, " to get the education I need" according to my mom and step dad. IT SUCKS

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aw, I'm sure things will get better
nice to meet a fellow grade skipper though!
Dodgeball club? We have no such thing at my school! sounds awesome though, and I've been contemplating joining art club for a while....
I honestly wish I went to a private school, (I think the uniforms are cute and better education, woo!) but I understand that probably does suck if all of your friends go to public... hopefully your school year will improve as it goes on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty good, i'm in my freshman year of public high school after three years of going to a tiny private school. Public school was pretty scary at first, but now i love it! I'm not the only one doing work for group projects, the people are nicer, there are so many cool clubs to join, and except for math, homework is easy! Well, i've seen my siblings go through this school, and, after freshman year, they were nocturnal because they did all their homework during the night and slept during the afternoon so i hope that won't happen to me!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addaia View Post

well, in Spain is different so i'm gonna put a picture becouse i don't know how to explain it. I'm in 4th of ESO, and it's the last course.

In class we have digital books with laptops, i go to eat at home so i don't know how's the food, but they haven't got any veg*n option!
Spain schooling seems incredibly interesting, very different than it is here.

My school year is going great! I am in my Senior year, can finally leave school grounds, got myself a crappy little car and to top it all off, all of my courses this semester are bird courses
( I think that's Canadian slang, I never hear anyone else use it. It means really easy courses.)
I wish some of my good friends were in more of my classes but I'm good friends with most of the people in my classes so it's okay. I leave school grounds at lunch to eat, I usually go to Subway or to a local country store called Mary's to get some fruit and a delicious veggie sandwich on homemade bread. I didn't get a chance to play hockey this year so thats kind of a bummer; just waiting for Rugby season to come around in the Spring. That's awesome that your school has veggie burgers now! My school usually has some sort of vegetarian option but it usually has cheese... a lot of it. They used to have delicious cous cous salads, and spinach and strawberries salads but I was pretty much the only one who ever bought them because no one really likes that kind of stuff except for me and the handful of vegetarians at my school, so they stopped selling them

My class schedule goes like this:

Advisory (This is a half hour study period first thing in the morning)

Biology 112 ( I had to take grade eleven biology as my schedule was full last year when I was a Junior because I was taking Chem. I am in the process of fighting the school to provide alternatives to dissection, got an article in the paper and everything
)
Then we have morning break.
Environmental Science 122 (Great teacher, he is opposed to factory farms and we have lots of good conversations about the subject)
Music 122
Lunch
English 122
Reading Tutor 122

College is a bit scary to think about but I'm enjoying my remaining time in High school.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
So far, so good. It's not as boring as school usually tends to be, I'm in two computer classes and I really like some of my other classes.

Still can't wait to get out of there due to the nagging homophobia I see every day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Still can't wait to get out of there due to the nagging homophobia I see every day.
Aw, vegkid
are people really homophobic at your school? My school is pretty "liberal" in that sense I guess. The openly gay people never seem to get bothered except for the occasional good-humored joke here and there. There's also a few openly gay couples I know of, and they have no problem with PDA or anything like that. The worst things I notice are the annoying guys who feel the need to say "no homo" after simple statements or people saying stupid things like "that's so gay." People with strong, anti-gay opinions seem to keep their mouths shut for the most part, though.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikikaylen View Post

Aw, vegkid
are people really homophobic at your school? My school is pretty "liberal" in that sense I guess. The openly gay people never seem to get bothered except for the occasional good-humored joke here and there. There's also a few openly gay couples I know of, and they have no problem with PDA or anything like that. The worst things I notice are the annoying guys who feel the need to say "no homo" after simple statements or people saying stupid things like "that's so gay." People with strong, anti-gay opinions seem to keep their mouths shut for the most part, though.
Well, that's basically how it is here I guess. Most of the offenders will swear they're not "against gay people" but you know that's not the case. You don't call people fags if you're not homophobic. You don't talk about how "gay" things are if you're not homophobic (well, I suppose you could get away with saying that if it was, like, a guy in a dress or something, but a math test certainly doesn't have sexuality and therefore that word used in reference to it simply reduces it to negative connotations). There are a few openly gay kids in my school and a few kids who are commonly inferred to be gay, and they're not teased that much - at least not to their faces - but I still feel it'd be too much of a risk to come out. But I guess being undercover is a good thing in some ways - you certainly get to see what your friends really think. Plus I liked girls in the past, so I've managed to avoid most suspicion. It annoys me that I even have to worry about this stuff, but at the same time I feel like I'm needlessly whining because there are MUCH worse places to be and even if it somehow got out, it still wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sorry if I'm necroposting! (ewww)

My school year isn't going as well as it could be. I don't need to worry about my grades, because I'm going to apply to an art college/uni, so I'm sort of underachieving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, my school year has been great up until now. I'm a senior, and only have three weeks left, so I want to be done now. Unfortunately school doesn't seem to reciprocate the feeling as I'm bogged down with APs, my project (why did I sign up for this class?!?), and presentations. All in all though this has been a great year, I've gotten my highest grades of my high school career (senior slide is a myth I say, a myth!), gotten accepted and will be attending a great university, and have grown as a person a great deal. Now I just want it to be over!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Junior year has undoubtedly been the worst of my life.

But I am looking forward to being a Senior and especially going to college to start somewhere new!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well it depends on how you look at it. Got some excellent grades (not counting a lousy 6/10 I got in Literature), so you could say I'm doing great. On the other hand, my motivation to do any school-related at all is zero. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts