VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was googling around today and went to the wiki site of one of my favorite authors to discover that he was quite conservative and had donated money to a candidate I think *might* be evil.

It got me wondering, I still love his books and things like that but it got me wondering, how far over the line past your ideology will you still support someone?

I really won't watch Mel Gibson movies, and if I find out an author/columnist/actor/director or whatever is veg*n, I can be more willing to view their works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
I don't support people who I disagree with. If I find out that a musician is sexist/racist/just an *******, I won't listen to them. Same for authors, artists, athletes, actors, etc. Knowing that they have views that I find reprehensible takes away any enjoyment I might get out of their work. Most people I've come across are not like me in that regard, though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

So I was googling around today and went to the wiki site of one of my favorite authors to discover that he was quite conservative and had donated money to a candidate I think *might* be evil.

It got me wondering, I still love his books and things like that but it got me wondering, how far over the line past your ideology will you still support someone?

I really won't watch Mel Gibson movies, and if I find out an author/columnist/actor/director or whatever is veg*n, I can be more willing to view their works.
In the UK we had a comedian named Bernard Manning.

Manning was a quite vicious and totaly unapologetic racist.

Manning (at the 'state of the art' of his time) was also hilariously funny and deeply compassionate towards his own kind.

Idealogicaly, I;

1. Loved Manning for what he got right.

2. Felt sad (compassionate) for what he got wrong.

That basic idealogy rules my life completely.
 

·
Ex-*****
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
Humans are complicated creatures. How can we know the true political leanings or ideas of our idols? It's impossible to be certain. Hypothetically, nice-guys such as Moby or Woody Harrelson could be facsists in sheep's clothing, just that they didn't ever express their ideas.

As long as the music or movie itself is of acceptable quality and doesn't appear to express opinions or attitudes I dislike, and as long as I'm not paying any money for it, I usually don't have a problem with enjoying it even if the author/creator/actor is a person of questionable character a.k.a. a dumbass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
In general, I tend to regard someone's work on its own merits. I try not to let opinions about someone influence how much or how little I support their work. Of course, there are times when it's difficult of impossible to do that. But I don't, as a rule, withhold my affections for something because I dislike someone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
This whole subject is good food for thought. Regarding this kind of thing, there is a split in the Jewish community over Richard Wagner, Hitler's favorite composer and an outspoken anti-Semite. Some Jewish music lovers insist that Wagner's music is worth listening to regardless of who composed it. Others say you cannot separate the art from the artist and state that Wagner's music is not worthy of acceptance because it's part and parcel of who he was.

I don't listen to Wagner's music because it's loud and bombastic and not my style.
But if I was an opera lover, I'd be killing myself over this debate. I just don't know how to approach the art produced by somebody whose politics I find reprehensible. (With the exception of Ayn Rand, whose political beliefs I despise.)
 

·
Beginner's Mind
Joined
·
645 Posts
Ah, but all the art Ayn Rand produced is so obviously polemical that you surely are entitled to a free pass there.

Me, I think I'm quite consistent in my ideology and applying it, but tolerance happens to be a cornerstone, so still no one is absolutely blacklisted.

Not that, for example, since around '98 I would actually pay to hear another rant from Dennis Miller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

This whole subject is good food for thought. Regarding this kind of thing, there is a split in the Jewish community over Richard Wagner, Hitler's favorite composer and an outspoken anti-Semite. Some Jewish music lovers insist that Wagner's music is worth listening to regardless of who composed it. Others say you cannot separate the art from the artist and state that Wagner's music is not worthy of acceptance because it's part and parcel of who he was.
Hmm, I didn't know that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Every action has consequences.

I want the world to be in a certain way.

Therefore i always think a minimum about the consequences of my actions.

What if i buy cheap chemical food from the market ? what if i order expensive organic food ? what if i buy local organic food directly ?

What if the money i spend will be used, or will be earned, by a person or company who gain money by killing animals ?

I don't care about admiring the music of a dead guy whatever he has done, because, well, there is no more negative consequences. But if i buy the music of a racist mysogyn being alive who will use part of my money to support a candidate who in my opinion is not good, then no, i won't buy his music or book or whatever.

(note that i am an opera lover lol )

And indeed i like people sometimes not for the quality of their work, but for their caracter or who they support, like leona lewis. I'm not a big fan of her voice, but she's vegan, so for me she's awesome and i encourage people to listen to her, so that i they become fan, they can become intersted in her way of life.

Wagner art is great. He would be alive, i wouldn't want to give him my money? But he's dead. So he won't have it. ( but what about the guys who publish his music ? do they use part of the money in a way i don't like ? )

So yeah for me it's just about consequences. No consequences, then i don't care. But i always think twice about it before deciding.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like that concept, about 'consequences' behind it.
 

·
Beginner's Mind
Joined
·
645 Posts
Well, I boycott a whole slew of consumer products due to background corporate policy issues as well as inherent ethical ones, but art, and "speech' in every form, seems different somehow, if that makes any sense.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4891 View Post

Well, I boycott a whole slew of consumer products due to background corporate policy issues as well as inherent ethical ones, but art, and "speech' in every form, seems different somehow, if that makes any sense.
Exactly! I have no problem turning my noes up to companies that I know do screwed up things, veg friendly or not, but art seems to be an entirely different realm, for what ever reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
The way I see it, most people do things I don't agree with because most be aren't veg*n, so I don't really think about it. If I found out someone whose work I liked was racist, misogynistic, etc, I think it would taint it for me, but I suppose it depends on what their views were exactly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

I don't care about admiring the music of a dead guy whatever he has done, because, well, there is no more negative consequences. But if i buy the music of a racist mysogyn being alive who will use part of my money to support a candidate who in my opinion is not good, then no, i won't buy his music or book or whatever.

(note that i am an opera lover lol )

And indeed i like people sometimes not for the quality of their work, but for their caracter or who they support, like leona lewis. I'm not a big fan of her voice, but she's vegan, so for me she's awesome and i encourage people to listen to her, so that i they become fan, they can become intersted in her way of life.

Wagner art is great. He would be alive, i wouldn't want to give him my money? But he's dead. So he won't have it. ( but what about the guys who publish his music ? do they use part of the money in a way i don't like ? )

So yeah for me it's just about consequences. No consequences, then i don't care. But i always think twice about it before deciding.
That sounds logical. Personally, I never buy music and I often download books as well, so consequences aren't really an issue in terms of what I listen to. Unless I go to a concert.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
well, i would like to one day completely stop eating at restaurants that serve meat. but this would limit my social life too much these days.

i don't think i really care about political views of any artists or scientists. sure when i hear that they were homophobic or loved to hunt for sport i may think less of them, but not of what they produce. but at the same time when i hear that some artist is veg*n and pro animal rights i am like you a bit excited and more curious about them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,587 Posts
If I don't support an artist's values and such, I can still enjoy their work. I just don't pay for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
I buy things based on their merit, not on the ethics of the person producing them. To care about such things, for me, seems futile.

I also think it would be impossible to be consistant on such a principle. Nobody does nothing immoral. Where do I draw the line? Murderers? Racist? Openly racist? Vegetarians only? Vegans only? People who've never commited crimes? People who don't always buy everything fair trade? People who don't buy organic? Adulterers? Parents who never see their kids? How would I even know? If I don't know, can I presume innocence? What about, is it just the main producer, or everybody who works for the company that produces their products whose ethics I should be worrying about? The whole thing seems mad to me.

It seems I guess presumptious to make an assumption about how moral the 'face' of one particular product is, when I don't really know anything about them, and when I don't hold the rest of the world to the same standards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
People are complex. We all make mistakes or do things others don't approve off but it doesn't make us inherently bad people. However, there are certain things and people that cross the line for me. Michael Vick and Nike sponsoring him. Now someone having different political views to me is a ridiculous reason to boycott them. People deserve the right to make a living so buy the authors book.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top