VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about Japan's dolphin slaughter over An Animal Friendly Life. Eric posted a link to a newspaper article as well as a link to to some footage from the massacre.

The article talks about how the dolphins would surround the females and children in a fruitless effort to protect them.

The article made me feel so helpless and depressed. This is going on right now! I feel so powerless to stop it. This is in addition to all the other animal cruelty that goes on all around the world.

As animal rights activists and lovers of animals how do you keep yourself from getting depressed and crawling in a hole? How do you combat the feeling of helplessness?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

As animal rights activists and lovers of animals how do you keep yourself from getting depressed and crawling in a hole? How do you combat the feeling of helplessness?
As an activist and animal lover, I find myself getting depressed from time to time. I combat those feelings by doing something constructive for animals. For example, I often hang up flyers around campus that encourage veg*nism or educate about animal abuse or current events.

I still struggle with these feelings, and I'm trying to find new, additional ways to overcome them. I'd like to hear what others have to say on this matter, as well. We activists and animal lovers go through feelings of helplessness together, so you aren't alone.
Just remember that every little thing you do to help animals and educate others makes a difference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

As an activist and animal lover, I find myself getting depressed from time to time. I combat those feelings by doing something constructive for animals. For example, I often hang up flyers around campus that encourage veg*nism or educate about animal abuse or current events.

I still struggle with these feelings, and I'm trying to find new, additional ways to overcome them. I'd like to hear what others have to say on this matter, as well. We activists and animal lovers go through feelings of helplessness together, so you aren't alone.
Just remember that every little thing you do to help animals and educate others makes a difference.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
I let the emotional pain rise until there are no more tears left. I don't fight those moments.

And then I get moving again... doing my little bit for the animals. It's not much. One can always always do more.

And like jeezycreezy, I am also pretty dead inside.

But it's the nights that one cannot control. When one is asleep. Those dreams... when you are in the labs and you see the animals and you try and help them and you can't. When you are in the slaughter houses and you see the carcasses swaying with the blood dripping on the floor.

As long as you are awake, you can do something. So go and do it!!!! Whether it's putting up flyers, petitioning for your local clothes shop to stop selling fur, writing letters to the newspapers, sending a postcard to an AR prisoner, sending a few banknotes to an animal organisation, helping out in an animal shelter, spending your holidays volunteering in an animal protection place, whatever... it all adds up.

At a conference by Cynthia O'Neill that I attended recently (who orchestrated the closing of the Hillgrove cat farm which bred cats for the vivisectors - those evil creatures spawn of the devil), she reminded us that zero plus zero equals zero, but a little and little equals a lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I found myself feeling like this this morning oddly enough. I was just surfing some random sites and I just suddenly became really bummed out. As Diana explained how one has dreams in their sleep about animals dying, I started having pictures go through my head of the mass murders that occurs within factory farms and laboratories. I too felt very helpless and at the time I was checking my email and deleting one pointless chain letter after another. I HATE chain emails. Especially chain mails that have no purpose. So I made a chain email promoting reasons why people should consider veg*nism as a lifestyle. I provided EVERYONE on my email list with the reasons and sites they can read more about animal exploitation today.

This might seem corny to a lot but I was extremely frustrated and it felt very right to do at the moment. A lot of the people I sent it to are my family and friends in the Philippines, where veg*nism is almost non-existant. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I'm already depressed. Animal abuse is just another thing to be sad about.

I have the dreams too, sometimes. I am (and always have been) a very vivid dreamer, and unfortunately most of my dreams involve negative emotions to some degree--fear, embarrassment, frustration, or helplessness. These dreams don't always involve animals, but some of those I have felt worst about have involved images of animal abuse.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Knowing that I am saving 100 animals a year by being vegetarian makes me feel better. Knowing that I treat all animals kindly helps me feel better too. I feel depressed when I hear about bad things happening to animals (esp. when the kids fed kittens to a pitbull) much more than when I hear about bad things to humans. I just do what I can by eating ethically, treating all animals with respect, and so on. It can still get you down sometimes, tho.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I feel depressed about animals sometimes (like when I started the thread about the mice getting stuck on the traps at my work). It does get to me, it effects me and makes me sad, much more than probably any other issue in society. Animals just have that effect on me. They are like children, even more innocent perhaps because children have SOOO much more protection than most animals have in our society (for the most part, obviously horrible things happen to children to and thats not ok either).

I used to work in an SPCA animal shelter and seeing dozens of perfectly healthy, wonderfuly sweet cats and dogs be taken off to be put to sleep because there was no home for them broke me inside. I mean really. I worked at that place for 9 months, and its a wonderful place really, we all tried so hard, worked 6 days a week, 8+ hours a day, taking care of those animals, for minimum wage. I didnt do it for the money, I needed to care for them, to love them when no one else would. But it broke me. It was hard enough leaving them in the cages at night and going home to my life, while they sat in the little cages in the dark all night.
BUt seeing them put down....

Its actually making me cry right now thinking about this..its been years too..I worked there during 2002...and I still remember most of the cats and dogs that were put down, their names, their colors. I spent every day with them, they were my friends.

It isnt right..its infuriating. It still breaks my heart. I quit that job after nine months when they took 12 of my favorite cats and killed them. I just couldnt take it anymore. I needed a few weeks to recover emotionally after quitting. And even years later, I still have guilt that I didnt put my emotions aside and stay because THEY needed me. But I couldnt. I got selfish. It hurt too much. And I saw how some of the other women who worked there had become cold inside..not because they were bad people but because it was the only way they could deal with it.

I dont have an exact answer as to how I dont get depressed, I Do get depressed. I just do what I can, when I can. I treat animals I come across with love and kindness and give them whatever I can give them. I love my cat and tell him that, every night when he comes to curl up next to me. I pray to God to help one more person become touched in a way that will make them more compassionate and caring.

I accept that this world is a corrupt, harsh, and often times very sad place, but knowing that I still try and see the positive, the beauty that does exist in the world.

All of this reminds me from one of my favvvvvooooorrrite lines from any movie ever, its at the end of the movie Se7en, where Morgan Freeman's character says:

"Ernest Hemingway once said, 'this world is a fine place, and worth fighting for'.....I agree with the second part."

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think Im good at shutting things out when there is nothing I can do. I'm 14, I probably can't save the world, so I don't think about animal abuse when its bothering me. It makes me sad when I watch the videos and the pictures, but I am already an activist and I'm doing what I ca, and taking care of my pets.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I do get depressed,usually during that time just between sleep and awake

when I'm thinking random thoughts.There's such feeling of helplessness

and frustration.I cry a lot too.It's gotten to the point where I have a problem

going into a restaurant and seeing all these plates piled high with chicken

and steaks.

I just know that we have to keep on keepin' on,in spite of it all.

Luckily,I was blessed with the ability to pull myself up by the bootstraps

and move on.

Feel better and know you have lots of friends here who know exactly how

you feel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I get depressed quite a bit as well. Like Diana, I allow myself some time to feel what I'm feeling then do my best to snap myself out of it and get on with trying to do good and make change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm in a constant state of unhappiness. "Every man lives a life of quiet desparation" as Emerson - I think - said. Animal torture only adds to the general feeling of malaise and disapointment, even digust, that I feel for myself.

I don't know if there is any great advice. All you can really do is help animals, maybe join your local sanctuary, knowing all the time that it will achieve little, if anything, and that all you're doing is washing a few speckles of blood from your hand whilst the rest of humanity rips the animal creation limb from limb, without giving their victims a second thought, the bodies and blood piling up daily is a mammoth testimony to our total sickness as a species.

Ignorance is bliss. Perhaps its best not to think, not to feel. If you feel anything, it's always becomes too much...it's easy enough to switch off as a human being and live like a lifeless vassal, to become an automaton. Just hang around until its all over.

Failing that, there's no real salvation other than the small things. Spending time playing with your pets, etc, writing your thoughts down - keep a journal, under lock and key, confess your thoughts! - fantasise plenty! Feed the homeless. Cause chaos! life is really just a string of petty, incoherent "events" that don't add up to anything, certainly falling short of one's childhood dreams.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think after you see it so many times it no longer effects you at that level.

Not that you do not care it is just that you no longer allow it to get to you.

I used to get so angry at the state animals would come into shelters and such, now it is more like you just sigh and get to work doing what you can to make sure they live.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrlin View Post

I think after you see it so many times it no longer effects you at that level.

Not that you do not care it is just that you no longer allow it to get to you.

I used to get so angry at the state animals would come into shelters and such, now it is more like you just sigh and get to work doing what you can to make sure they live.
Given some of your statements about your dietary practices and beliefs, I do believe that animal cruelty no longer or never did affect you on that level. Veganism is animal rights and caring in practice. Many people care about shelter animals, and the problem is not nearly so huge and entrenched as what happens to the majority of animals who come into contact with humans.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Given some of your statements about your dietary practices and beliefs, I do believe that animal cruelty no longer or never did affect you on that level. Veganism is animal rights and caring in practice. Many people care about shelter animals, and the problem is not nearly so huge and entrenched as what happens to the majority of animals who come into contact with humans.
Well nice to know that you know all about me then.

What about my dietary practices?

I'm not a vegan nor did I ever claim to be and given that I am one of the founders of a no kill animal rescue I would have thought that was a no brainer that I somehow do care about animals

I'm so sorry you so obviously know more about me than I ever could

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I'm only going on what you've said. You say you don't eat the way you eat for moral reasons, you're sick of the "vegan rants," and you don't seem to have an issue with the way animals are treated for their products that you eat. So, because your beliefs and practices include animal cruelty, you're not concerned about it, and you're clearly not an "abolitionist" for animals, I don't doubt your statement that it no longer (or never did) affect you "on that level."

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...0&postcount=12

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...9&postcount=17

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...7&postcount=20

Lots of people who otherwise aren't all that concerned about animals care about dogs and cats. I don't doubt that you do care about some animals. But I don't think that people who really see and care about the scope of how animals are used by humans, and fight for an end to it, and suffer depression from it, have the same outlook as you.

Re. the original post: I think being active for animals is the best and maybe only way to deal with it. Just doing what you can to make the situation better.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I'm only going on what you've said. You say you don't eat the way you eat for moral reasons, you're sick of the "vegan rants," and you don't seem to have an issue with the way animals are treated for their products that you eat. So, because your beliefs and practices include animal cruelty, you're not concerned about it, and you're clearly not an "abolitionist" for animals, I don't doubt your statement that it no longer (or never did) affect you "on that level." When confronted with what you yourself say, why are you defensive?

Lots of people who otherwise aren't all that concerned about animals care about dogs and cats.
I do not eat for the way I do for the same moral reasons as you do I eat this way because ethicly speaking I think it is the best way to eat overall to help the earth and its creatures as a whole, in short it is the most enviromentaly friendly way to go. Plus I just do not like meat and am horrifed by the way animals are slaughtered.

I DO get tired of people ranting about how others eat.

It is one of those things of sheesh just let people try and help them but dont yell at them how it is not "good enough" I do not want to hear it.

I do not have issue with where my food comes from because I do know were it comes from.

I stoped buying milk a bit back because since I moved I can not be for sure were it comes from and eggs come from a local farm without cages.

I'm not an animal rights activist and never claimed to be however I am an animal welfare activist.

I am not defensive I am puzzled by why you reacted as you did.

I mean if you would take the time to read my posts you may find out that i am very much anti human a lot of the time I will not deny that.

I call myself a lacto/ovo because while I do not drink milk or eat eggs I will occasionaly have some cheese, in fact I had some about a month ago.

Or like today I ate some bread and I did not ask if it had eggs in it therefor I am techincly speaking a lacto/ovo yet it seems that soemhow makes me some sort of monster?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts