VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I have been drinking a lot of vegan hot chocolate recently and I was curious to see how others make it. Myself, I just buy a sweetened chocolate 'milk' beverage (usually almond milk) and just heat it up on the stove. I'll add 5 or so sticks of cinnamon to it. So good.

How do you make yours?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Registered
236 Posts
heat some almond milk (about 2 cups) on the stove, add about 2 and a half tablespoons of cocoa, tablespoon and a half of sugar, couple shakes of cinnamon and a bit of cayenne (always reminds me of the movie chocolat
). seriously try this stuff it's unbelievably amazing.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdo vegan chick View Post

heat some almond milk (about 2 cups) on the stove, add about 2 and a half tablespoons of cocoa, tablespoon and a half of sugar, couple shakes of cinnamon and a bit of cayenne (always reminds me of the movie chocolat
This is my favourite way

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've never heard of using cayenne in hot chocolate...I'll have to try that. Cayenne is like my favorite spice.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

My girlfriend and I have been drinking a lot of vegan hot chocolate recently and I was curious to see how others make it. Myself, I just buy a sweetened chocolate 'milk' beverage (usually almond milk) and just heat it up on the stove. I'll add 5 or so sticks of cinnamon to it. So good.

How do you make yours?
That's all I do too. It's even better with the seasonal Chocolate Mint flavored milks.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
It's summer in Australia right now so hot chocolate drinks are way off the menu
but in winter I drink Loving Earth.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdo vegan chick View Post

Minus the cayenne (I'll have to try that), this is pretty much how I do it. I sometimes put a drop of mint extract in it as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I heat non-dairy milk with grated chocolate (chilli chocolate is my favourite) until melted, then add creme de cacao (chocolate liqueur) and a bit of vegan cream. Obviously not something I'd have often as it's so rich, but if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it properly.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Putting on a sexy dress and high heels.

Oh vegan hot chocolate, no idea.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
I heat non-dairy milk with grated chocolate (chilli chocolate is my favourite) until melted
Ditto. I shave one of those really expensive 'gourmet' chocolate bars into almond milk. A single bar provides enough chocolate for 4 mugs or so. I always add a big lump of brown sugar, important since I'm usually shaving in a relatively intense dark chocolate. I keep trying a spoonful of masa harina, but that never works. I'm guessing if I used a longer cooking time than my microwave provides the masa might work better, but who wants to wait? The two minutes it takes to nuke it is already too long to wait.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Ditto. I shave one of those really expensive 'gourmet' chocolate bars into almond milk. A single bar provides enough chocolate for 4 mugs or so. I always add a big lump of brown sugar, important since I'm usually shaving in a relatively intense dark chocolate. I keep trying a spoonful of masa harina, but that never works. I'm guessing if I used a longer cooking time than my microwave provides the masa might work better, but who wants to wait? The two minutes it takes to nuke it is already too long to wait.
Masa harina? For thickening? You say it doesn't work though? Are you aiming for quite thick?

I remember the hot chocolate I had is Spain was totally unlike all my previous hot chocolate experiences. It was thick like syrup, barely drinkable, but more... gritty. I would really like to try a vegan version of that. And then there was dipping churros in it and you always had to have a glass of water cause that **** would coat your tongue...

Anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Masa harina? For thickening? You say it doesn't work though? Are you aiming for quite thick?

I remember the hot chocolate I had is Spain was totally unlike all my previous hot chocolate experiences. It was thick like syrup, barely drinkable, but more... gritty. I would really like to try a vegan version of that. And then there was dipping churros in it and you always had to have a glass of water cause that **** would coat your tongue...

Anybody know anything about this?
I just went and looked it up, looks like it's thickened with cornstarch. I might try something like that sometime soon...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Cocoa powder in Chocolate Soymilk is my favorite because it comes out chocolate-y and creamy. Haven't had it yet this season...I think I might add extra sugar, too. The cocoa takes away from the sweetness of the chocolate soymilk, so I'm pretty sure I add sugar.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts