VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had always boiled and steamed cabbage, and i grew up hating coleslaw. i bought a cabbage the other day for steaming and i was making burritos but i didn't have any lettuce. so i cut up raw cabbage instead. to my surprise, it was fantastic, and it makes a burrito so much more substantial and filling, much better than lettuce. i just had it again like this and i can't get over how good it is.

what's your favorite cabbage recipe?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
It's good in spring rolls!

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I like a raw salad made of purple cabbage and red or sweet onions, with shredded beets, sliced green onions, minced garlic, umeboshi vinegar, nutritional yeast, raw barley miso, black pepper, lemon juice, unhulled sesame seeds, cayenne pepper and a little really good fruity olive oil.

I like steamed purple cabbage with steamed sweet potatoes, red onions and carrots with a little coconut or lemon flax oil, a splash of vinegar, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and garlic powder.

I like roasting cabbage with potatoes, onions and carrots and making a mash of it all with many of the usual seasonings I favor above. It's also great with a little rosemary and sage. Rutabega, turnip and kohlrabi work nicely too.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Sauteed with onions in olive oil and garlic. Sometimes I'll add vegetable broth, diced potatoes and cannellini beans. Napa cabbage is my new favorite cabbage.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I mostly eat it boiled and smeared with butter and pepper and in cole slaw. I really need to think of other stuff to do with it, though, because cabbage is really good. I kinda miss stuffed cabbage. I should find a vegan one.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
cole slaw and colcannon
i used to hate coleslaw bc i really hate mayonaise, i learned that cole slaw doesn't need mayo at all and there are a ton of recipes for slaws that don't use any dairy products. i do an asian influenced slaw with napa cabbage, green cabbage, shredded carrots, green onions, slivered water chestnuts, dressed with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar a pinch of sugar, lime and pepper. topped with some chopped peanuts or slivered almonds, so refreshing.

colcannon is so simple, its just cabbage and potatoes. mash potatoes and stir in chopped cabbage, that's it.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I wish you guys would all come round my house and do me some cabbage because I can never make it nice, but everyone else in the world can.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Fried Cabbage.

My Mom made this all the time when I was growing up, and now I make it the same way.

Wash and chop your cabbage... including those big thick green leaves (some people throw those away).

Heat an oil of your choice (I like unroasted sesame oil for this) in a big giant skillet, or a dutch oven. I LOVE my dutch oven!!! <-- It keeps me from making a mess when I stir things!

Add cabbage to the skillet/d-oven and stir it around, coating it with oil.

Continue to "fry" it until it starts to get tender. It doesn't need to be cooked all the way, but it shouldn't be raw either.

Start adding soy sauce. A little goes a long way. The skillet/d-oven will sizzle and spit from the soy sauce. Stir the cabbage around. The salt from the soy sauce will instantly cause water to leave the cabbage. The water will boil instantly, and this will steam the cabbage.

Taste as you go, adding more soy sauce if need be. When the texture and taste is to your liking, remove from heat and serve.

This is great as a side dish or served over a bed of rice!!!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i have none, i love my cabbage the way my daddy cooks it. I think he steams and then fries it. it has some spices and lots of oil on it

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

cole slaw and colcannon
i used to hate coleslaw bc i really hate mayonaise,
I like coleslaw and colcannon too, but I like vegan mayo on my coleslaw.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have a fear of mayo, all my life. *shudder*.

but i see some great ideas here, and i'm going to explore this a bit further. with the burritos, i went through a head of cabbage in 2 days

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My parents used to do the cabbage soup diet, so they got vegetable stock or brooth, The got some other veggies and onions and do the cabbage soup diet. I loved this in the winter when it was cold at night.
I might try this soon when the weather gets cooler.

I like cabbage in coleslaw also.

I like cabbage stuffed with rice and veggies.

I also like it in fajitas when my mom while growing up and still does it now I think done these things she got the already mixed salad stuff and she would put that in with the faijtas and it tasted great. This was the red cabbage not the green.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i have a fear of mayo, all my life. *shudder*.
You are soooo not alone in this. I've always found it disgusting and repulsive. The slimy texure, the smell, the appearance...there's just so much wrong with it.

I had a bunch of cabbage today shredded, lightly fried and then stuffed inside rice paper rolls/wraps.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
In udon noodle soup with tofu, still slightly crunchy. Yum.

I love it cooked, but not to the point that it's super soft. Stir-fried, in soup, steamed/boiled with butter--so good. I like it raw, too. Just don't pass me the coleslaw, I've never been able to eat it that way.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I like steamed cabbage, fried cabbage and noodles,stir fry cabbage and carrots, cabbage tacos, cabbage and potato stir fry.....stir fry cabbage, zucchini and eggplant.

Peace

1 - 20 of 36 Posts