VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
If you're vegetarian, you might still be getting B12 in the dairy and eggs you consume. You don't really need a whole lot.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, I don't drink milk or eat eggs, but I eat cheese products.....I also drink a lot (maybe 2-3 times a week) of Rockstar energy drinks which have 100% of daily B12.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
fortified foods. My margarine and soymilk are both fortified with B12, and sometimes I get soy yoghurts with it in too. But I don't think of vitamin tablets as a last resort either, I took multivitamins as an omni too. I think they are a nice safeguard (though obviously you still need a balanced diet).

·
Registered
53 Posts
i don't remember what site it was but i thought b12 was one something your body creates on it's own. vegan diet or not. i could be wrong however.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i don't remember what site it was but i thought b12 was one something your body creates on it's own. vegan diet or not. i could be wrong however.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
No, your body itself doesn't create B12, but there seem to be bacteria in the large intestine that produce B12. However, this B12 does not appear to be absorbed because it is produced below the ileum, which is where B12 is absorbed. Some B12 is "recycled" in the body, but some is still lost, and this needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Spirulina? I noticed it contained B12 when I was making myself a green drink this morning. I dont think it contains very much though and Im not sure how much you are supposed to have every day.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I take a multivitamin but I was doing that before I went veggie. If you're eating eggs or dairy, B12 isn't something you really need to stress about (unless you have a B12 absorbtion problem.) It think the benefits of not consuming eggs and dairy outweigh the inconvenience of taking a multivitamin though.

As everyone else said, you can also get B12 from red star nutritional yeast and fortified foods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Is there something wrong with vitamin tablets?
Well they're not natural. Shouldn't we get all of out nutrients from our foods?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.