VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I myself have been riding horses competitively for about 10 years(I'm a just vegetarian at the moment) It just kind of occurred to me that horseback riding probably wouldn't fall onto the "ok" list for a lot of vegans just due to the fact that we are using them for a sport(the fact alot the tack is made out of leather probably doesn't help either lol) but I have also heard that that it's kind of a grey area. What are you guys's opinions on the topic?

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

I myself have been riding horses competitively for about 10 years(I'm a just vegetarian at the moment) It just kind of occurred to me that horseback riding probably wouldn't fall onto the "ok" list for a lot of vegans just due to the fact that we are using them for a sport, but I have also heard that that it's kind of a grey area. What are you guys's opinions on the topic?
Hmm, I'm sure vegans would disagree with it more than vegetarians. I have nothing against you personally, but I don't agree with it, unless, you know for a fact the horse has nothing against it...but then again, you might have to consider was the horse brought up and "cooed" to be okay with it?

I see more issues with horse racing as a lot of the horses can get hurt and I dunno, I just don't think I would personally like my life to be for the sole purpose to as to be trained to run and run and run. :/

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I do agree with you on racing. I've never been crazy about the fact that they insist on using 2 year olds who's bones aren't even fully developed.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ask your horse. Your dog likes running with you, why wouldn't the horse be happy ? Just make sure he likes it, respect him as a companion and not a sport slave, put yourself in his place and think if you would like to be hurt in a way or another, or if he wants to run when you want to ride.

Just be attentive to him.

And for the tack, yeah i find it barbaric, i would definitely advise to find one wich is not made of a corpse. At worst they were times where this invention didn't existed and people still managed to ride horses, so your call.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Hmm, I'm sure vegans would disagree with it more than vegetarians. I have nothing against you personally, but I don't agree with it, unless, you know for a fact the horse has nothing against it...but then again, you might have to consider was the horse brought up and "cooed" to be okay with it?

I see more issues with horse racing as a lot of the horses can get hurt and I dunno, I just don't think I would personally like my life to be for the sole purpose to as to be trained to run and run and run. :/
I agree. Horses 'enjoy' riding as thats all theyve known/been taught to believe. go sit on the back of a wild horse that hasnt been 'broken' and then tell me how all horses love it.

the racing industry is just wrong, so many horses dieing. also i hate the way most people treat horses like cars and trade them when theyre not good enough any more, of if you prefer a different thing to your horse. Animals are not property to trade! Well they are unfortunately, but they shouldnt be.

I dont think its omg the most unvegan thing ever, but wouldnt go horse riding myself. your call. I personally dont think animals should be exploited for entertainment, which is what horse riding is. but if you want to be vegan just from a welfare point of view and look after your horse well then fair enough.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Two things that have been brought up got me thinking. The first was about horses liking or not liking being ridden. Most horses don't like it because we are after all, a predator species and what self-respecting horse wants a predator on it's back. That's not to say they can't be desensitized to it. However, there are exceptions to every rule and my daughter had a Friesen filly for a couple years that was one of those. Even though she'd never been trained yet as she was too young, she didn't mind at all having my daughter sit on her back when either laying down in the paddock/field or when being led around the yard or on the trail. She was a very big horse and my daughter is slight in build so weight wasn't an issue. In fact, given the choice between hanging around the yard with people or heading out to the field, Brie often chose human company. So there are exceptions.

The second thing was that I'm in agreement with Pirate, that horses shouldn't be traded like their old cars that you're tired of or whatever. We've had Ambra and Sierra for 16 years (they're 22 now) and even though our girls who'm we got them for are long gone, Ambra and Sierra are still here. They moved all the way across Canada with us when we retired and we will be the ones to say the last goodbyes to them which means there's a good chance that they'll be with us for another 10 years.

So yeah, getting rid of your horse when you're bored or whatever is just so wrong. You might sell her to someone you know and trust, but what about when they get bored? Who will be the next owner and the next....conjures up memories of the story of Black Beauty!

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I was a kid I'd go back to my grandparents farm. They had horses and sometimes my cousin and I would ride them bareback. I remember we had this really big horse named Barney and once when my grampa was walking me around on the horse I fell off. Barney refused to move until I was up and back on him lol. I to believe if your going to have any animal you should treat them well. Even if they aren't your favorite for example my great franfather wasn't a real fan of the chickens but he'd clean their coops twice a day whitch most farmers didn't. He said a clean and warm chicken is a happy chicken. Then again most the people in the small town think my family is weird lol.

Audrey

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, because I don't know a lot about horses. However what I do know is I don't agree with breeding and/or buying horses, which I think you would need to do to compete professionally.

As for adopting a horse and riding it, I'm not sure. For example, I'm not sure if horses enjoy being ridden, I've heard mixed oppinions. I'm also not sure about exersise - if you had a horse in a paddock and didn't ride it, I presume it would be resticted to walking on a teather and running around the padock - is that preferable for the horse to riding it? I wouldn't know. Is there a big difference between riding a horse and leading it on a tether? Or between that and walking a dog? Again I don't know. If riding the horse was in it's interest I'd not have a problem with it.

I also thought I'd add, every animal product/use of animals you give up is doing good. If you wanted to be vegan apart from/and still ride competitivly, that's doing a whole lot of good, and is really positive. Don't get trapped into thinking "I don't want to give X up, and so I can't be vegan, so I won't give up any animal products", because it isn't really about BEING VEGAN it's about doing good - if that makes sense to you. It sounded to me in your origional post like you wanted to be vegan but saw a problem with you still horse riding - so sorry if I have misinterpreted - so I just wanted to point that out.

As for is it vegan? I'd probally say competitive horseback riding was not vegan, but non competitive horseback riding was, but that is based on the assumption that horseback riding isn't unpleasent for horses which I don't really know about and that the owner wasn't buying or breeding horses.

·
Registered
585 Posts
^---this :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have always loved horses, and horse back riding, and that has not changed since I became a vegan. My experience with horses is somewhat limited, but from my own personal experiences, and what I've read, I also think that some horses do enjoy the experience. Some just love just running, and others enjoy the bond that they can form with their human rider. I know that humans and animals can form bonds, and that some horses, like service and therapy dogs, genuinely enjoy helping and healing those who ride them (I'm talking in particular about horses used in therapy). What I've never reconciled myself to, however, is the breaking of a horse. The idea of taking an animal, and forcing it to do things against its will, in order to break its spirit, just seems inherently cruel. I am also not an expert in horse training, yet everything I've ever heard or seen about this kind just horrifies me. *Human slavers often did similar things to their slaves, and I do not think it is any better to do it to any other creature. A horse trained compassionately on the other hand, by somebody who loves and respects them, is a different matter entirely. It involves allowing them to get used to human company, and respecting their boundaries as they work within their comfort zone. It also involves bribing them with treats. This kind of training is much more compassionate, and I feel much more comfortable with it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
what we do to horses in order to ride them is wrong. the saddle, the bit in their mouth, the shoes, everything.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Quote:

^why shoes?
Remember those spikes people would put on the back of their shoes to jab at the horse to get them to go?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Remember those spikes people would put on the back of their shoes to jab at the horse to get them to go?
Oh you mean spurs? I thought you meant horseshoes. At least for english riding I've only seen people use the blunt ones, technically you aren't supposed to kick or jab the horse with it.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
I wouldn't want to be ridden thus I don't ride on others.

I assume those who do ride others do want to be ridden and often think about chasing them down the road with a full set of riding tackle.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audretoburrito View Post

When I was a kid I'd go back to my grandparents farm. They had horses and sometimes my cousin and I would ride them bareback. I remember we had this really big horse named Barney and once when my grampa was walking me around on the horse I fell off. Barney refused to move until I was up and back on him lol. I to believe if your going to have any animal you should treat them well. Even if they aren't your favorite for example my great franfather wasn't a real fan of the chickens but he'd clean their coops twice a day whitch most farmers didn't. He said a clean and warm chicken is a happy chicken. Then again most the people in the small town think my family is weird lol.

Audrey
Audretoburrito, i suspect that your Grampa and Barney were *both* wanting to get you right back on the horse after your fall.

I love horses but hate how they're often treated. I learned to ride bareback and barefoot as a young girl; my neighbor had horses, but the tack was so heavy we just rode without it. I hate the smell of it and feel that horses know it's dead animal smell.

My mother-in-law kept and bred a few Arabian horses, which I don't agree with even though she was very nice and humane to all the horses. They never were "broken" to ride, no one rode them till they were 3 years old and they all (5 altogether) seemed to like it and learned easily. My mother-in-law never did sell a horse as she had planned, she just built a nicer barn and gave them more land. The horses were found homes in two different places after my mother-in-law died young.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

Oh you mean spurs? I thought you meant horseshoes. At least for english riding I've only seen people use the blunt ones, technically you aren't supposed to kick or jab the horse with it.
You're right Jorjor. A spur is supposed to be used to just emphasize the movement of your leg. Ideally it would be just pressed (not jabbed, stabbed or driven into the horses belly) in against the skin so that the horse notices that you are 'pushing' with your leg. A good rider can do this gently so that the horse isn't hurt or even made uncomfortable by it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

I wouldn't want to be ridden thus I don't ride on others.

I assume those who do ride others do want to be ridden and often think about chasing them down the road with a full set of riding tackle.
What is riding tackle?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

.........My mother-in-law never did sell a horse as she had planned, she just built a nicer barn and gave them more land. The horses were found homes in two different places after my mother-in-law died young.
And the question here is, how many of those horses wound up on a slaughter truck to Saskatchewan or Alberta or God forbid, Mexico after those second owners or maybe the third owners got tired of them? That's the worst thing about horses. People who figure that just because they have a mare and a spot in the backyard, they should breed her because 'Nelly has such a nice personality and they would love to see a beautiful baby romping around'. And they all swear that they 'will always either have their horse or if they have to sell it, they will always be very careful about who they sell it to'! Yeah right! Like we can tell over the next 30 years just how our lives or our friends lives will go and we can 'know for sure'. Just infuriates me. Black Beauty all over again, and again and again......

That's exactly why my two mares have never been bred. No babies, no worries about that and my old girls will see my face last.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts