VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is more of a vegetarian discussion but I wana hear everyone's thoughts on the subject!

My question is, Do you vegetarians find eggs bad to eat (as in not moral) or do you think theyre alright? Also why, if you can describe it.

And for the Vegans who stroll in on the topic, Was giving up eggs hard to you? Especially for cooking and such.

My thoughts on the subject, being a vegetarian, I know it could be gross thinking but I've always though eggs that are unfertalized as more of a chicken menstration? I dont know if thats really alright to say but I beleive if the egg wasnt fertilized and the hen was raised on a non-abusive farm then it would be alright to eat as a vegetarian. Also my own opinion on eggs themselves, I could do without except for baking. Im not much of an egg person unless in cookies.
Opinions? Thoughts???

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I am not grossed out by them, no matter what they are, they taste great. I only want to give them up because of ethical reasons, otherwise i would like to eat omelettes. And when it comes to baking it isn't so hard to do so without eggs. I was baking pumpkin bread last week and substituted 1 tbsp flax seeds +1tbsp water per egg, worked out great

·
Registered
765 Posts
Before I became a vegetarian I only ate the egg whites, the yorks always freaked me out. I have given them up since going vegetarian the other day I had an egg again and almost vomited. I now just can't eat them anymore it just doesnt feel right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found eggs very easy to give up! There are also a lot of substitutes for eggs in baking like apple sauce and flax seeds and bananas and a lot of other things, if you search egg substitutes online, there are a lot of resources. I do A LOT of baking since becoming vegan and have never had a problem. Here's what I use : Vegweb Egg Substitutes

On eating eggs, definitely don't quote me on this because it's not something I know for sure, I just remember reading it a while back, but I thought that taking the eggs from the chicken make her think that she needs to lay more, which I guess is harder on the chicken and her health.
I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who are much more informed than me on this so hopefully they can help out with some actual knowledge (instead of my semi-recalled potential facts
)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I found eggs easy to give up.

However, I don't think this topic belongs in the Food section. It should be moved to the Vegetarian board, but I suppose it's a topic that doesn't need to be discussed. Vegetarians don't mind eggs, vegans clearly do.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Giving up eggs was fine, except when other people make cakes with eggs in, which was tempting, but I just went to the HF store and bought vegan cakes/ cookies or went home and made my own. As the others have said, eggless baking is easy! I'm also a fan of using tofu to replace cooked eggs. Blended silken tofu can be used to make quiche or omelette, and pressed firm tofu can make 'tofu scramble' which is very egg-like.

Ethical reasons to give them up are largely due to what happens to male chicks and spent hens, even if you find somewhere that treats the laying hens well. Do a search on google for egg industry cruelty if you are interested, it's not really a topic for the food discussion thread!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I used to love eating eggs. I ate them even after becoming a vegetarian but gave them up when I became a Hare Krishna. Now that I think of it, eggs are just not something that I want in my body anymore. Occasionally I will crave them but I deal with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Ethical reasons to give them up are largely due to what happens to male chicks and spent hens
Pretty much this, I'm still eating them, but trying to keep the amount low. Eggs from a backyard coop would be alright imo, but I'm not in a position to have one, and getting chicks that are 'ethically sound' might be challenging. Will probably give them up eventually (unless I find a source that I'm comfortable with), but one thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I found them very easy to give up. I only ate them in baking and the occasional quiche anyway. Now I bake vegan and I can do without quiche although I am tempted to try out a vegan one using tofu.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

I found them very easy to give up. I only ate them in baking and the occasional quiche anyway. Now I bake vegan and I can do without quiche although I am tempted to try out a vegan one using tofu.
I've made tofu quiches a few times (using turmeric, soy sauce and pepper for flavour) and although they taste a bit different from egg quiches my family agreed they are just as yummy!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I loved eggs when I was omni and vegetarian, but they were actually the first thing I gave up when I started becoming vegan. It wasn't even a conscious decision - I just found myself grossed out by them one morning and it never went away. Now I think they're creepy and disgusting. I never really did any cooking or baking before I became vegan, so I've never missed them in baking or other recipes.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
To be honest, I eat eggs like an addict, but only if I can find a source that I consider to be ethical. And most free range, organic, cage free labels are completely meaningless. I need to visit the farm myself and see with my own eyes how they're raised before I will buy, and those farms don't usually sell their products in supermarkets.

I believe that eggs can be produced ethically, but finding them can be a challenge.

I'll admit I made exceptions when I was deployed because I was just happy to see ANY non meat sources of fat/protein, and I doubt they were getting their eggs from pasture raised chickens. But back in civilizations I can be picky once again.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Are you talking about from an ethical perspective or a taste perspective? I'm a vegan and there isn't really any food I found difficult to give up. The substitute products (whether it's imitation meat, non-dairy butter, or non-dairy pizza) taste very good, and taste doesn't even matter 5 minutes after the meal anyway. Convenience is another issue but that doesn't really seem to be the topic of this thread.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm a new veg*n. I stopped eating meat, fish, dairy, eggs, etc. about 6 weeks ago for health reasons. Honestly, I'm still processing all of the ethical issues because I never gave them a lot of thought until recently. Eating a veg*n diet and being exposed to the discussion and ideas about ethical eating makes you think about things in a different way. The ethical reasons to give up eggs and dairy were completely outside of my realm of knowledge until recently. Having learned what I've learned, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to the way I ate before.

That being said, I don't really miss the taste of eggs, but I definitely miss the whole breakfast ritual. Every Sunday I take my mother to church and then out to brunch at the same restaurant. I've always enjoyed the brunch experience and I miss being able to order anything on the menu. They have exactly TWO things on the menu that I can order. So every Sunday now I have oatmeal with a cup of fruit. If they offered a tofu scramble, I probably wouldn't miss eggs at all.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

I've made quiche with tofu before, maybe I could send you the recipe? I've still got it around here somewhere

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Eggs were very easy to give up, there are many egg replacers that work just as well in various recipes, even in baking. Two of my favorite books are Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. All the baked goods I've made from these books (and other recipes I've found online) have come out perfectly delicious - and not to brag but I'd like to stress perfect.
When others eat them, I'm always told it's like a professional made them. They can't tell that they're egg-free.

Tofu is another great substitute for very eggy dishes...instead of scrambled eggs - scrambled tofu, instead of egg salad - tofu eggless egg salad (it's just as tasty). You can even buy or make eggless mayonnaise. Nope, I don't miss eggs one bit.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada~ View Post

And for the Vegans who stroll in on the topic, Was giving up eggs hard to you? Especially for cooking and such.
Eggs were one of my favorite foods growing up. I used to enjoy eating them often. It wasn't the taste that caused me to give them up. I had a strong enough moral reason that I can do without the taste, even of one of my favorite all time foods. I miss them, but not more than I respect innocent life. I make do. The vegan alternatives to most egg based meals are just as delicious, and probably much healthier for me. It's no real sacrifice.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I never had to give up eggs because I never wanted them.
Even if I weren't vegan I wouldn't eat them because, to put it simply, they're really gross.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't gone vegan, though I plan to when I have my life in a bit more order, but I don't think I'll give up eggs 100%. I have a friend who raises chickens in her backyard (I am SO jealous), and I know for a fact that those chickens are well taken care of. When she offers me eggs, you know I take them.
On that note, when I have my own piece of property, it's been a dream for years to have raise chickens. And, when you have chickens, you're gonna have eggs. Between the options of being a not-complete vegan and having a yard that smells like rotting eggs... I'll go for the former.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts