VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about someone getting eggs or milk from a privet owned farm? Im just wondering. If the chickens are treated well, do not live in tiny little cages ect, and if the cows are treated well also.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
well, the only way that cows have milk to produce is when they are feeding their calf. i don't want to steal milk from calves, no matter how well they are treated. so, i like to get my milk from soy, rice, almond and a number of other places.

as far as the eggs: i know people who have pet chickens and they do use those unfertilized eggs. i don't really see a problem with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's all relative. I used to get raw milk from a small farm. They claimed they sold milk only to individuals (who technically owned shares of the cows) and not to businesses - so I don't think they were hugely overproducing. But I have the same outlook that Jenna does. I hate that it's so unnatural, that the calf isn't just nursing as it should. We're controlling the animals' lives and taking their milk. It's better than a commercial dairy, but it still isn't right.

WRT eggs - we still go this route. My DH insists on eating eggs every day, so I buy from a couple of small farms around here. The chickens are treated well enough, so I'm okay with that part of it. But the fact remains that many roosters are not in the picture, and I assume they had to be disposed of in some unpleasant fashion. There is one place with almost totally free-range chickens (they go in at night) and they have a lot of roosters - so maybe that's as close to cruelty-free as one can get. But you're still taking something from an animal (even if she couldn't care less about the eggs). Chickens are bred to produce many more eggs than they would naturally. Some people advocate feeding the eggs back to them (though that seems a little bizarre to me).

And finally...there is the notion that consuming any animal products just goes against the idea of being vegan. It belittles the concept. It makes it seem like people need animal products, when vegans are trying to show that we don't. There was an interesting discussion about this on Vegan Freak recently (specifically about taking eggs from no-kill places).

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
The animals would still be sold for slaughter when they were no longer profitable, the male chicks would still be killed, and the animals would still be viewed as a commodity for human consumption.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
we've had a lot of 'ethical eggs' threads, one very recently, and I've stated my opinion on that many times. It's long and I don't want to write it again.

I don't think that ethical dairy farming can ever work.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Having a friend with rescued chickens, that are pets not food producers, maybe. I dont really see eggs/dairy as food any more though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts