VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's pretty clear that fast food chains, e.g. McDonald's, KFC, and even small restaurants, e.g. Chinese takeout, Mexican taco shops, are infamous for being unhealthy. What's more, the farms they receive their meat, eggs and dairy from probably don't treat their animals well.

I mean cages, crates, basically using animals like machines to produce food rather than living, breathing creatures.

I think if a vegan were to go to one of these places, maybe with some friends, it wouldn't be too difficult to find something vegan on the menu; e.g. a salad or a lard-free bean burrito.

So although you're eating something completely free of animal products, can you still feel guilt-free about buying a meal from one of these places, if you're supporting the restaurant and contributing money toward its food production?

Please tell me your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
It's really no different than eating at most other restaurants or shopping at most grocery stores that aren't veg*n.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've thought of this too: That I buy vegan products but from stores that also sell meat. Many large chain grocery stores have a "natural foods" section now with vegan items. The reason is of coarse, this stuff sells.

I don't eat out much. I avoid anything like McDonalds or other such fast food.

This could be taken further. Buying clothes from places that sell leather shoes. Etc. A person could drive themselves nuts thinking about it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's really easy to be a vegan where I live so i spend a good amount of money supporting vegan restaurants and grocery stores so when i do have to spend some money in non vegan places, I don't feel guilty about it.

I also don't consider a carton of fries from McDonalds every now and then to be all that unhealthy for me. It's not like I eat it everyday. It's cooked in a healthy vegan oil in aus so no biggie.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

It's really no different than eating at most other restaurants or shopping at most grocery stores that aren't veg*n.
I feel the same although I prefer to go to vegan/ vegetarian places if I can. I'm lucky where I live though so it's easier for me to be picky about where I spend my money. I think I had some fries once at McDonalds since I went vegan but I know some vegan people that wouldn't set foot in there on principle.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I rarely eat at any kind of restaurant, but have no problem eating fast food or any other place that sells meat because I'm helping to create demand for vegan products. If this catches on, maybe there'll be mostly veg*n options in restaurants/stores and a few little token meat options for the omnis until businesses realize that it's just not profitable to sell that stuff anymore.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do not eat fast food in general. We go to Chipotle on occasion, and maybe eat FF when we are on the road (which is rare.) It is generally unhealthy and high calorie. We try to eat mostly whole foods or minimally processed food. I have struggled with my weight for years, and not eating FF makes it way less of a struggle.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post

So although you're eating something completely free of animal products, can you still feel guilt-free about buying a meal from one of these places, if you're supporting the restaurant and contributing money toward its food production?

The only food I feel completely guilt-free about eating, is the food I grow in my own garden because I know fossil fuels are used to plant, harvest and transport everything else.

I rarely eat fast food, but not because I see it as less moral than eating at nicer restaurants that serve meat. I just happen not to like fast food very much.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I do feel like i am supporting an industry that is directly responsible for the invention of factory farming if I eat at a fast food place. Even if I eat a vegan item, I don't want that company to have my money, period.
I haven't gone to McDonalds in years, (with an exception to once on a road trip in the middle of nowhere my kids were super hungry and ate apple slices that didn't taste like apple slices), because even though I wasn't vegan at the time, I have always been conscious of the food I put in my mouth. I never liked the idea of fast food and how it contributes to the declining health in this country. I never wanted to support an industry that has run good mom and pop diners and stands into the ground. I feel like "McDonaldization" has run our society into the ground, and felt this way for a long time.
ha ha- you asked a question that can get me babbling for hours on the subject. I should stop and stay on topic.

I find that being vegan presents small challenges when eating out that are easy to overcome by speaking with the cook or waitress. But at a fast food place- you can't really negotiate your food or control how they make it so you may end up with something you guessed to be vegan that is not. I know Taco Bell had a vegan option but now the tortilla is questionable? So I think its best to always be prepared on a road trip or when going to another destination by packing your own food or researching vegan friendly restaurants along the way. There are phone apps that you can download that help you with locating these, also there are apps with vegan options that are available at fast food restaurants, but then again, you can't control it all the time.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Living in an omni family, I do eat fast food, though vegan options of course. I have no problem with it, I think vegans should eat fast food to increase the demand for the vegan options and push to create more options.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

I think it's pretty clear that fast food chains, e.g. McDonald's, KFC, and even small restaurants, e.g. Chinese takeout, Mexican taco shops, are infamous for being unhealthy. What's more, the farms they receive their meat, eggs and dairy from probably don't treat their animals well.

I mean cages, crates, basically using animals like machines to produce food rather than living, breathing creatures.

I think if a vegan were to go to one of these places, maybe with some friends, it wouldn't be too difficult to find something vegan on the menu; e.g. a salad or a lard-free bean burrito.

I don't believe in eating from 'chains' at all, however there are some local small restaurants that i adore, and they often have take out. There is a chinese place about a block away from me that has the BEST veggie dishes. I'm very fortunate to live where I do, though.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I feel the same although I prefer to go to vegan/ vegetarian places if I can. I'm lucky where I live though so it's easier for me to be picky about where I spend my money. I think I had some fries once at McDonalds since I went vegan but I know some vegan people that wouldn't set foot in there on principle.
Yeah, I prefer veg*n places too and go to them when at home. I also avoid fast food. I go to Chipotle maybe once or twice a year and when traveling will eat at a taco bell if there's nothing else around. That's about it for fast food and me.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Fast food is starting to gross me out for some reason, even the vegan stuff. Makes me want to go live on a little farm somewhere in the mountains and raise chickens while tending to vegetables I'm going to eat.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:

Indeed, there are plenty of vegetarian and vegan options at fast food. Though there's also plenty of room for improvement, fast food is not synonymous with nonveganism or antiveganism.

Resources to find veg items at fast food:
http://www.peta.org/living/vegetaria...staurants.aspx
http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...stFoodRest.htm
http://www.veganeatingout.com/fast-food

Quote:

You can feel guilty about whatever you want to feel guilty about. Some of my personal guilt-inducing thoughts include why I'm not adopting more children, why I'm not adopting more animals, why I drive so much and shop so much, why I'm not doing more activism, why I don't call my mom more often, why I waste so much time worrying about my appearance, why I don't donate more money to charity, etc etc etc.

The real question isn't about feeling guilty. It's about whether or not those guilty feelings are rational.
Are they?

When it comes to fast food I don't think it's entirely rational to worry about where you eat vegan food just so long as you only eat vegan food. That matters far more than anything else. I think too many animal advocates get caught in the trap of thinking that their money is so powerful that it can change the world. NO! It's not your ****ing money that's going to make a difference, it's your actions. I mean, unless you're talking about money going to charity, then maybe it will help change the world. But a few cents going to Taco Bell in support of their vegan items? Nope, those pennies are not likely to cause more animal suffering and death.

So spend more time feeling guilty about not doing more animal activism and spend less time feeling guilty about eating a bean burrito fresco style at Taco Bell.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Guilt is a useless emotion. The only way it may serve useful is if it propels action. Otherwise, rumination is asinine.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Guilt is a useless emotion. The only way it may serve useful is if it propels action. Otherwise, rumination is asinine.
Good point.
Although, like jealousy and envy, it's often difficult to curb. The best thing is to try to avoid it and when you feel it to redirect it into positive action.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I agree completely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Good point.
Although, like jealousy and envy, it's often difficult to curb. The best thing is to try to avoid it and when you feel it to redirect it into positive action.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The last time I walked into a fast food restaruant, I saw something super gross. It's going to be a long time before I eat fast food again.

You don't want to know. Trust me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

The last time I walked into a fast food restaruant, I saw something super gross. It's going to be a long time before I eat fast food again.

You don't want to know. Trust me.
I can't guess what you saw, but I've already got a dozen possible scenarios in my head.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts