VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I put slits in them and then fry them in a pan with a bit of oil.

My favorite brand is light life jumbo dogs, but we can't get them in Canada so I buy them when I go over to NY.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I boil it in water.

Sometimes i cut in pieces and stir fry.. add onions and spices..

Light Life seems to be the only brand i have seen around.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I never cook em. I eat em straight from the package (just like I used to do with regular dogs).

Smart Dogs are the best. hands down.

stay far away from the Quorn brand dogs... :shudder:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I think it's the Yves brand that I like (I don't get them often), but normally I just boil them. They're also good on the barbecue.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I boil the smart dogs, because microwaving makes them tough and chewy on the outside (yuck.) so does grilling, really - they dont get the lovely black char, they get.... yellow... yuck, hehe. However I think its the "smart" brand that came up with a grillers version (comes 5 long ones in a package instead of 8) - THOSE I grill over a flame (rubbed first in olive oil) and they come out AWESOME. Those however I think have some egg in them and are not vegan. But for the vegetarians they are the BEST for eating at a BBQ, bring them and everyone will like them. We threw a vegetarian BBQ this summer with grilled marinated portabello mushrooms, veggie kabobs, and veggie burgers and the grillers hot dogs, and everyone said the hot dogs tasted exactly the same as "real" ones. :)

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Get your water to a hard rolling boil. Slip in your dogs, then cut the heat completely and let them sit for 5 minutes or so. Perfect every time.

Otherwise, I'd fry them up like meatless does.

And I'm with WR on this one. SmartDogs rule the world.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
#1: Barbeque.

#2: Not-pigs in blankets (using Pillsbury weiner wrap inna can)

#3: Boiled.

Brand: Yves veggie dogs

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lightlife for me to. I boil the water then turn off the heat, then drop them in for about 2 or 3 minutes

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

Is boiling the best method?

And what are your favourite brands?

Thanks!
Smart Dogs Rule!

Earth balance in a pan, slice them a bit, fry em up...nuke my Ezekeil dog rolls, add relish, sauer kraut, ketchup & mustard...YUMMY!!!!

We will boil also, and hate to say it nuke them if not lots of time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oven

I just cooked a lightlife dog in a normal oven and it worked great. Maybe a waste of gas, but definitely so much better than cooking in the microwave or boiling-the outside got a little crispy instead of the whole thing being uniformly, monotonously rubbery. I started off at 400 (Farenheit) for about 5 minutes and then 375 for 3 more minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fill a bowl with water, place the veggie dog in and microwave it for a couple mins. After that i roll it around a bit on a heated skillet. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have always grilled them.

Honestly, boiling doesn't sound appetizing at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Field Roast were the only 'frankfurters' I liked. I don't like them enough to justify their cost.
I had Tofu Pups and cooked them every kind of way before pitching them. Absolutely disgusting, like a pink pencil eraser would taste I imagine.
I had at least one other I didn't like
I do sometimes buy Tofurky Italian sausage at Trader Joes where it costs less.
I do make seitan sausages

1 - 20 of 22 Posts