VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make homemade salads and SIMPLE meals. I'm a Bachelor and don't like shopping.

I tried this in the past but I found I created much waste! So right now I am chowing at Subway.

I got a GE Spacemaker refrigerator that has NO "vegetable" compartment.

I would like to accomplish some goals. These are;

1. Only go to the Grocery store once a week.
2. eliminate waste and do a proper rotation of old stock.
3. preserve the veggies/fruits for the longest freshness.

So I've done some studies and have a few questions.
`What temp should I set my fridge to maintain optimal freshness?

`Can someone recommend storage containers for the Veggies and Fruits?
I've looked at TupperWare's "Forget me nots" and "Pick a deli" themes.
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/...r=P10057073000

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/...r=P10058690000

What is "the beef" on Storage containers. Can the veggies/fruits be in an air tight container?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
wow, i don't know what temp it is... i do shop once a week as well and buy enough veggies and fruits for the week, not more. that usually how long they last. some even more. just like that in the fridge
and if i prepare a salad i put them into containers

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
What ever temp it was at when.... i moved in :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you think of the Spin 'N Save™ Salad Spinner?

Quote:
Prepare, serve and store salads in style with this remarkable, all-in-one product. Fill the basket with your favorite salad fixings, then spin away excess moisture by turning the large knob. Anti-slip feet let you spin without spilling! The outer bowl makes a beautiful serving piece, and the coordinating seal enables secure, airtight storage. Sheer Ice Bowl and Chili Seal, Basket and Spinner. 4-qt./4 L capacity.
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/...r=P10055973000

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Not sure about the temp, I just keep mine on the lowest setting because even that seems plenty cold enough.

As for storing fruits and veggies, I tend not to put them in containers in they're whole and uncooked. Some fruits go in the fridge, like grapes, most stay in a fruit bowl on the side. Vegetables are the other way around; most in the fridge, but things like potatoes and mushrooms just need to be kept cool. Once they're cooked, I keep them in a store-brand plastic container with a clip-on lid, unless they're in some sort of oven dish, in which case I cover it with cling-film and put that in the fridge. If I've used some of a vegetable/piece of fruit - say, half an onion - I'll either put it in a container or wrap it and keep it in the fridge.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I just keep my stuff in flat-ish bowls or pie plates on the shelves, that way it's still in the open where I can't forget about it. I tend to get a lot of round stuff that can roll all over the place, so the pie plates are sort of necessary.

I know tupperware sells some fruit/veggie containers that act sort of like fridge drawers, they've even got the little slider thing to let more (or less) air flow through as needed... but I don't know how expensive they are, because I don't buy tupperware. they seem like they'd be good organizers, if you need that, but they're maybe a third (if that!) the size of most refrigerator drawers, so I don't know how useful they'd really be.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
As a bachelor myself I find it hard to buy fresh produce in bulk (to get good prices) and not throw a lot out. Frozen veggies were the answer for me. Eliminates waste, and more often than not they are just as nutritious. Sometimes moreso. When I do buy fresh produce I store them in tupperware-type containers and they seem to keep well.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
I just put them in the fridge...

If it's something that I've made then I just cover the bowl/whatever in clingfilm and put it in the fridge.. Or in an airtight container

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

As a bachelor myself I find it hard to buy fresh produce in bulk (to get good prices) and not throw a lot out. Frozen veggies were the answer for me. Eliminates waste, and more often than not they are just as nutritious. Sometimes moreso. When I do buy fresh produce I store them in tupperware-type containers and they seem to keep well.
I'm not a big fan of Frozen veggies. If I was the Schwan Ice Cream Truck would be stopping by.

I like fresh salads, and what I've read from the other link is I don't need to store Onions in the Fridge. Good info thus far, perhaps I literally need a "fruit basket" as I've traditionally put fruits in the Fridge.

Quote:
As for storing fruits and veggies, I tend not to put them in containers in they're whole and uncooked. Some fruits go in the fridge, like grapes, most stay in a fruit bowl on the side. Vegetables are the other way around; most in the fridge, but things like potatoes and mushrooms just need to be kept cool. Once they're cooked, I keep them in a store-brand plastic container with a clip-on lid, unless they're in some sort of oven dish, in which case I cover it with cling-film and put that in the fridge.
Good advise! Also can someone speak as how much the Veggies need to 'breathe'? I've read that cling wrap will suffocate them and spoil faster.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I use green bags for my produce. I have a lot of luck with them. I wrap leafy greens and lettuce in papertowels and then place them in the green bags. I tend to keep my fruit in the fridge also wrapped in green bags. I have a bag of golden delicious apples in there right now that have probably been in there for at least a month now and show no signs of spoiling whatsoever.

I usually don't cut my veggies/fruits until I'm right about to use them and hardly ever have leftovers but when I do I store those in a plastic container.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I shop once every 7-10 days and buy lots of fresh fruits and veggies for me and my birds, turtles and dogs. I also keep my house hot in the summer to save electric so my habit of keeping most fresh foods on the counter is seasonal.

I usually keep crisper fruits like apples, peaches, pears and fruits with peels like citrus, mango, kiwi etc on the counter in a bowl, in the summer that same bowl goes in the fridg.

Berries, guavas and other soft fruit always are kept in the fridge.

Melons get cut up into bite size pieces as soon as I can eat them, and the cut bits are always in the fridge but the store bought whole fruit is always on the counter while it ripens, or if it is garden grown it ripens on the vine.

Bananas are always on the counter no matter what, frige makes them black. Unless I peel them and freeze them, but that usually only happens when I harvest them from the trees in the yard and there are a couple of bunches that ripen at the same time.

Lettuce and other green leafies can be kept the fridge in a container with a lid, but you do want some air circulation. Most other veggies (except potato and onion) can probably just be on the fridge shelf and be OK. If they get a little limp, just snip off the ends and put them in a glass of water for a bit and they will return to their previously crisp and fresh texture. This trick works for most limp vegetables such as broccoli, celery etc. Root veggies, like carrots, beets, rutabaga etc you can just cut up and soak in water to firm up if they get floppy and soft.

I always keep potatos, garlic and whole in the peel onions on the counter. Cut onion always in the fridge.

Another idea is to grow lettuce in a flower pot in your house. Its a fun project that will give you very fresh and delicious results and while it is growing makes a nice houseplant.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Everyone. I now have a better appreciation on what techniques I need to use.

BTW I see SOME folks resist using plastics, and prefer glassware. What glassware do you recommend? Pyrex seems good, but I have heard of quality issues such as thin spots in the glass and shattering under heat/cooling stress.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy View Post

If they get a little limp, just snip off the ends and put them in a glass of water for a bit and they will return to their previously crisp and fresh texture. This trick works for most limp vegetables such as broccoli, celery etc. Root veggies, like carrots, beets, rutabaga etc you can just cut up and soak in water to firm up if they get floppy and soft.
I never knew this. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPatch197 View Post

Good advise! Also can someone speak as how much the Veggies need to 'breathe'? I've read that cling wrap will suffocate them and spoil faster.
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I always take mine out of the bag and leave loose in the fridge. As long as you wipe clean any little bits that fall of (brocilli I'm talking to you!), or you could just put them in bowls/whatever, it's fine - and it stops them sweating in their packets. If they sweat they get moist and can go off or go manky (that's the technical term btw haha).

For potatos, onions, ginger and garlic I keep them loose in brown paper bags somewhere cool (well, actually they're just on the side because I don't really have anywhere cool, but ideally somewhere cool - or they sprout like mine do, but that's fine you can just cut off the sprouts it's better than them going off). The light makes the potatos turn green, ginger will last pretty much for ever (well, for a long time) like this, if it's put in a plastic bag or something similar it will rot/go off pretty quickly. I'm not sure why I keep the onions and garlic like this... except for because my mum told me to!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I usually buy veggies/fruits once a week. Some veggies can keep for longer, e.g. onions, potatoes...others, I try to use up within the week. I also take my veggies out of plastic bags when I get home because condensation forms and the veggies can become soggy and will go bad faster.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I don't have any specific way to store FRESH foods, I just make SURE to use them in a TIMELY fashion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Kenetic Go Green Premium containers for my fresh produce. They sell them on Amazon, but I bought a couple of large sets at TJ Maxx for a fraction of the cost. I normally stay away from plastic, but these things really live up to their claims. They keep my fruits and vegetables fresh so much longer than any other option I've tried. I once bought two containers of strawberries from a fresh berry stand and put them in the fridge - one in a container and one set in the veggie bin. A few days later the one in the veggie bin was soft and starting to get furry. Two weeks later the one in the go green container still looked and tasted fresh. I use them for just about everything except onions, since I worry the plastic might absorb the onion odor.

I've also used the green bags someone else mentioned and they work very well on salad greens and bananas.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm a fan of once-a-week cooking/food prep.

I'll buy a pack of plastic plates and/or bowls and a roll of Glad Press 'n Seal.
The cooked items get cooked, the fresh items get prepped.
The plates are put together, with care given to the fresher items.
The plates are stacked neatly in the fridge, and I grab one as I run out the door to work.

As far as storage bags go, I buy them from www.uline.com. They are cheaper and FDA approved for food use. I've been using the same case of baggies for years.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I don't have any specific way to store FRESH foods, I just make SURE to use them in a TIMELY fashion.
Same here, although I HAVE used GREEN bags before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts