VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so glad that my husband and I (and children) have recently returned to veganism. However, the more I become aware of how many animals are suffering ALL the time, the more I feel helpless. I've realized that being vegan is kind of a passive way to help, in fact, I'm not really solving the problem, I've just stopped contributing to the problem!

So, I really want to help! But what are my options? What do all of you do to help, other than your dietary/clothing/cosmetic/etc choices? Do you donate money, and if so, to where? Besides donating money, what options are available?

Looking forward to gathering some ideas! TIA!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Hi colorful, this is something I've been struggling with myself. We help financially (we sponsor a sheep at farm sanctuary, as well as a number of local animal-related charities), but locally there hasn't been anything I can volunteer for that gelled ok with the requirements of my job. However, there is a vegetarian association being formed right now, and I'm meeting with the founder this week to discuss how I can get involved. i'm hoping to get heavily involved with it. It's main focus is promoting the vegetarian lifestyle, and that's the best way to an animal-friendly society, IMO.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I volunteer at an animal shelter when I have the chance to, and that's basically all I can do right now being only 15. However, once I write, publish, and sell my book I'm going to be using a good chunk of the money to promote veganism as well as travel around the world working with animals that are orphaned/injured as a result of humans.

I am, obviously, a wishful thinker. And not much of a help. Sorry.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
First of all, you *are* helping already by being a vegan and being a good example of veganism. You might not realize it, but even your passive veganism might encourage others to do the same. I originally went vegetarian because of a girl I knew who was vegetarian.. all she ever did was say 'meat is gross' in response to my asking why she was vegetarian - that stuck with me and one day not too long after it really kicked in and I stopped eating meat.

If you want to do something a little less passive, check out http://www.veganoutreach.org/ for some great pamphlets and information. You don't have to hand out pamphlets to strangers on the street - you could just print them off for your family and friends, or leave them in places where someone might pick them up (at work, on the bus, at the library, etc).

As for donating money, I would go with meatless and say Farm Sanctuary. It's good knowing that your money is having a direct impact on an animal's life.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Personally I push my agenda through my fitness quest. Everytime I get the chance for a write up, photo caption etc, I let everyone know I am vegan. I do conferences and more recently public speaking.

Aside from what you are already doing (yay you!) you can do pamphleting, hand them out or drop them off, colleges are a great place to promote veg. You can participate in protests, get involved in pushing legislation through (even if it's just taking the time to write letters). Also, volunteer, collect money or donate money.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm not sure how I forgot this but I do manage to get veganism into the paper through my job quite a bit. I'm limited because of the nature of my work, but I do what I can when it's appropriate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just do what you can. That's all we can do. Some have venues to convey their message to a large audience. Some can only get their message out to friends and family.

I personally am not a "militant" vegan. That may be wrong on my part, but I'm not. I'm not in anyone's face about being vegan. Everyone that knows me knows I am, and they know why. But I'm not yelling at people telling them how they are murdering cows every time they eat a hamburger.

To me, doing that is worse because it gives them the impression that vegans are crazy, and would discourage them from wanting to try veganism (or even vegetarianism) for themselves. A case in point is PETA. I firmly believe that PETA was founded on good ideas. But they do things that many people (even some vegans) object to, so they get a bad name in the press.

But, there are ways you can get your message out a little more indirectly...

My girlfriend and I have a business where we sell jewelry, and teach jewelry-making classes. We have a gallery of jewelry by other artists that we sell on consignment. In our consignment contract, the first stipulation is that the pieces they bring in contain no animal-related products. No leather, silk, wool, bone, shell, pearls, etc.

This is just my opinion. There are many who put their message out there and put it in people's faces every chance they get. If that's what works for you, then by all means do it. It's just not how I work. For me, it's more of a "think globally, act locally" thing.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

I am so glad that my husband and I (and children) have recently returned to veganism. However, the more I become aware of how many animals are suffering ALL the time, the more I feel helpless. I've realized that being vegan is kind of a passive way to help, in fact, I'm not really solving the problem, I've just stopped contributing to the problem!
I'm not knocking what people do for animals in a more dynamic way- but as the Hippocratic Oath mentions (among other things), "First, do no harm". If even a large minority of humans would "just stop contributing to the problem" of animal exploitation, the more active animal activists would have a much easier time doing what needs to be done!

Anyhow... besides being veg, I have adopted a few of them who needed homes- currently one cat and two rabbits from the local shelter, and 5 goldfish who turned up in my friends' koi pond. (Actually there were more than 5 goldfish, but I couldn't take them all. My friends took the rest inside for the winter.)

There is a local "no-kill" shelter for cats I might volunteer for if I no longer have cats of my own someday. The "kill" shelters where I got my cats and rabbits need help too, but I'm afraid I might not be able to handle working there, even though I know the problem of animals dying for lack of homes isn't necessarily their fault.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. Gosh, there is so much cruelty in the world, it's hard to know where to start. Not just with the animals but with humans too (though I guess humans ARE animals!). It's easy to feel small when you think of all the need in the world. But if everybody does a little, big changes can happen. Here's to doing our part!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Besides joining a local veg*n or AW/AR group - which doesn't have to entail going to protests or handing out leaflets if you don't want to do that - you can write letters to newspapers and hmm, there is a lot of little things that you can do, even from your home computer. For example, helping to write campaign materials or proof-reading leaflets and stuff like that. And you can donate some blankets to animal shelters even if you don't have enough money for a financial contribution.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

And you can donate some blankets to animal shelters even if you don't have enough money for a financial contribution.
That's an excellent point. Call your local shelter up and ask them what they are in need of. It varies from time to time. Shelters will take donations of pet food, toys, blankets, rags (for cleaning), etc etc. You never know what you have laying around unused in your home that they might need

1 - 11 of 11 Posts