VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
There is a "Transitioning to Vegetarian" and a "Transitioning to Vegan" forum on this website. You should see them when you click on the "forums" link. (I can't really answer your question with one post

·
Registered
6 Posts
You already started. Something probably bored or sickened you about eating things with a central nervous system? Welcome. Letting yourself eat what you want while you continue to make better food choices is about as much as I can suggest without knowing your individual situation and goals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is some new-ish data that says people feel more successful doing gradual dietary change than overnight change, with the caveat of "gradually but quickly." Linked below is a study; see the first key finding that addresses this. (However I know many people who did vegan overnight, and they did well, perhaps because they had a certain psychological level of commitment and motivation. I would imagine animals prefer we stop eating them immediately.)

In a gradual reduction (cutting out x animal, cutting out animals x days a week, or x meals a day) what seems to be most important is to make a plan/pledge and stick to it. The details of the pledge don't matter, just MAKING one matters. They say "an early, specific commitment" is beneficial.

Finally they report that slip-ups happen, life happens, and people have varying degrees of social support for their decision. The takeaway here is to be gentle on yourself and don't get discouraged. Don't give up! Trust whatever made you make this decision. You can always start anew tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts