VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Super Thin, And I Can't Gain Weight! Is There Any SUPER Fatty Vegetarian Food I Can Eat? Or What Kind Of Like... Exercise Would Work?

·
Registered
0 Posts
How much do you weigh? How much are you looking to gain? What's an average day's food for you? About how many calories do you eat? Are you l/o vegetarian? Vegan?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've actually put on weight since going veg! Not much but some!! (arrgghhh!)

Eat a lot of carbs, put carbs or grains with every meal (you don't need to eat a whole meal of carbs, don't get me wrong but eating salads and raw veggies all the time will make the weight come off not help to put it on!). Also nuts are a great source of (healthy!) fats so eat nuts or make sauces out of them. I made a really yummy one Cashew Cream Sauce from www.fatfreevegan.com (except the sauce is actually quite high in fat) and put it on my salad and use it as a dip for my veggie burgers instead of mayo (lol, this is probably why I am putting on weight!). You don't need to be unhealthy to keep your weight up

As animallover just said, calories are something to think about too. If you don't eat enough calories for your height and weight you will lose also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

How much do you weigh? How much are you looking to gain? What's an average day's food for you? About how many calories do you eat? Are you l/o vegetarian? Vegan?
... I'm Just A Regular Vegetarian, =[ I Eat Alot Of Polenta and Breads. Alot Of Soda And Stuff. So Daily I'm Not Sure How Many Calories, I Counted Once And I Think I Only Came Out With Like 500 Calories A Day. I Weigh About 120 and I'm 5'10'' I Think The Healthy Weight Is Like 140 or something but 30lbs sounds hard to put on. But any weight gain would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigercubs View Post

I've actually put on weight since going veg! Not much but some!! (arrgghhh!)

Eat a lot of carbs, put carbs or grains with every meal (you don't need to eat a whole meal of carbs, don't get me wrong but eating salads and raw veggies all the time will make the weight come off not help to put it on!). Also nuts are a great source of (healthy!) fats so eat nuts or make sauces out of them. I made a really yummy one Cashew Cream Sauce from www.fatfreevegan.com (except the sauce is actually quite high in fat) and put it on my salad and use it as a dip for my veggie burgers instead of mayo (lol, this is probably why I am putting on weight!). You don't need to be unhealthy to keep your weight up

As animallover just said, calories are something to think about too. If you don't eat enough calories for your height and weight you will lose also.
Mmmm That Sounds Really Good! I'm Gonna' Try That

(Sorry about the double post i dont know how to put two qoutes in one post) [Combined your two posts into one for ya!]

·
Registered
0 Posts
It seems like you need to eat MORE. 500 calories a day isn't enough, even if you're trying to LOSE weight. You should use a site like Fit day . You put in everything you eat, it helps track how many calories you eat, how much fat you intake, and other vitamins and nutrients..ect. I think it can also help you because you are not eating healthy. You can eat healthy and still gain weight, a lot of sodas are terrible for your body! On the site I reccomended you can also plug in your weight, height, body type, ect and it will give you a healthy weight for you. You can then plug in your current weight and a goal weight in another section of the site. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would suggest adding some avocado, and nuts, and some dried fruits, or maybe some trail mix sort of thing that has mixture of dried nuts and fruits. These are foods that would be concentrated in calories. Also, you should lift weights, to gain weight through exercise.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Every meal should contain a fat and a protein... though in your case you may just want to start by eating anything that totals 2000 calories a day. Not sure why you're starving yourself... but it surely is a slow suicide.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm a little shorter than you (5 ft 9) and I'm about 190lbs (I think, we go in kilo's over here but it's about 68kgs if you want to convert it) and I'm in my healthy weight range. I got down to about your weight for a while but I was quite ill at the time. 500 calories is no way to live! It is starving yourself. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day on a weight loss diet! Fit day is a good idea too! My husband used to be super thin (naturally) and he eats 5-7 times a day now with a carb at every meal (and is now quite bulked out) and also drinks a protein powder a couple of times a day when we have the money to buy one but they're not necessary at all. He does fine without them (I think he just likes the taste
). To start bulking up you need to be eating about 1400-1600 calories a day (well that's to maintain weight, not really to bulk up). But yes, eat more calories!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you want to gain weight, most experts agree to simply eat more calories than you expend.

That being said: It is a little tough to do on just veggies.

EDIT:

Also, I agree: 500 calories a day is not going to cut it. You WILL end up very sick on only that much energy, even if you sit around and do squat all day.

I was like you, and to give you a little insight on my situation: I had an eating disorder and ate less than 1000 calories a day. I didn't wake up to my problem until I hit 100 pounds even, and I am 5'8. As you can imagine, I was scared.

Do NOT get to that point! I was worn out and tired all of the time, and my muscles took a terrible impact. I am back up to 120 pounds now, and that is with my clothes on.

BE CAREFUL! Like someone else said, the lowest you should go is 1,200 calories, and that is just to live! Get at least 1,500 calories a day to have even a little energy.

I wish you luck! (Try nuts and nut butters.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DAMN! 2000!? If That's Healthy I'm Suprised I'm Not Dead Yet! Haha I'll Try That. Back When I Was Eating Meat I Probably Ate More Calories But Now I Just Don't Feel Like Eating As Much. Its Not Taste Either, I Just Never Get Hungry. But Man. I Thought 1000 Or So Was Normal. Whoa. I'll Pick Up Some Advocodos and Those Nut-Based Butters. Thanx

·
Banned
97 Posts
Eat more vegetables than fruit. Vegetables are builders, fruits are more cleansing.

Good fatty foods = avocado, olives, nuts, seeds, cold pressed oils, cacao(chocolate), etc.

I've heard it said that those trying to gain weight should blend their food more so their body can assimilate nutrients easier to build more muscle.

Also, if you eat cheese, eat ORGANIC cheese first off. And eat it frequently, cuz nothing will slow your metabolism down more than cheese or milk. It is so viscous and thick that when it gets into the blood, it moves like sludge and slows everything down. It is a huge metabolic depressant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure whether I want to eat more or less cheese after that last post. That's great. Hahahaha. Fruit, Advocadoes, Olives, Nuts, .... nut butters, Olives, and Chocolate? This diet rocks. As for the milk and cheese... I mean, I'm a vegetarian. But milk tastes like crap. Oh well, Can't hurt... Except... My Taste Buds.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Drink soymilk, or rice milk... The dairy is not at all necessary. It's just a high fat food.

You should also be eating whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta, quinoi, barley, millet, whole wheat couscous.. whatever you like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This Is A Cool Diet! I Ate So Many Calories Today. About 1500 I'm relieved to hear i dont have to eat that much dairy. I've been having to choke it down all day! Everything else was good tho. Thanx for the help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts