VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to how you all became veg*n. Were you an omni that went cold tukey (forgive the pun), did you go lacto-ovo before vegan, elminated meat slowly, etc?

Personally, I stopped eating meat completely (woke up one day and said: vegetarian.now. go.) but remained an ovo-lacto for 9 months before recently doing the same dead stop and becoming vegan. How about you?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I went from full omni to ovo-lacto veg gradually, over a two month period last year. I'm now in the process of going vegan, and I'm probably about 90% there. ^_^

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I was at a casual job (about 12 years ago (wow, 12 years already?)) eating lunch (which consisted of a taco, hotdog, hamburger and nachos) when suddenly I thought "that's it, I'm going vegetarian".

The first flesh I declined was Fish (I know, but Fish is a plant!
).

Almost 2 years later I was wondering what I was doing and so decided to become vegan..... again just like that (that makes this year a whole decade of veganism for me.... I hadn't realised until now).

I did it purely for ethical/environment reasons..... but when I did go vegan, a week later my blocked sinuses cleared up and the constant stomach cramps I had been suffering from for a long time (sometimes so bad I wanted to kill myself) disappeared.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing since then..... you know, finding ingredients you didn't realise what they were, or ones that are hidden due to lack of labelling laws; that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I went through a long process from mni to ovo-lactoa dn then I went vegan cold turkey when felt I was being hypocrytical by eatign factory farm eggs and milk.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I went from omni to vegan about half way though reading

Vegan: The Ethics of Eating

My experience kind of reminded me of the movie The Matrix - all of a sudden I had an entirely new reality - it was an incredible awakening.

I haven't looked back

·
Registered
0 Posts
i stopped eating meat in '99 my mum says i phased it in but i cant really remember i dont think i did. im a pretty determined person if i say ill do summin i normally stick to it.

first i gave up meat then about 3 years later fish and then about 2 months later gelatine and then leather.

now im going vegan and i woulda thought id stick to it. i cook my own meals but my parents dont know yet (wanted to do it on my own without interferance) the only time i have broken it is to cover up infront of my parents (eg i had to eat a bit of my dad sponge birthday cake!
s)

im hoping to carry on like this eventually phase out honey and wool.

slow but worthwhile process

·
Registered
0 Posts
I went from omni to "not so informed" lacto-veg in a blink of an eye 13 years ago. I've been considering going vegan for the last 3 years and finally did it last summer. It was a very quick decision and it was so easy that I can't believe why I didn't do it earlier.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I only went vegetarian a few months ago (wow, so short when you think about it), which I did cold-turkey. It was easy, mostly because I've always hated all meat other than chicken and seafood, and I've never been able to stand the idea of wearing an animal's skin. I really want to be vegan, but I'm nervous to try. It seems like so many things I wouldn't be able to eat, and I don't really know which ones. I feel like I'm surrounded by vegetarians (about 10% of my 1700 student school), but don't know of a single vegan. I'm worried my life would become consumed with reading labels and worrying about what I'm eating. I guess I'm just chicken.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I went from omni to vegan diet one day (July 25 2002) during a time where all of a sudden one evening I decided to search for information on animals as food. I didn't like what I saw (to say the least ... it was like several days and I really stressed myself out at looking and reading so much negative stuff at once). Anyway, I poured my milk down the sink and gave some other things away that I had (cheese , etc).

I wasn't really that interested in meat consumption anyway (it was just a habit and mostly as part of a stir fry or other meals where the meat wasn't the centre of attention). After finding tofu and veggie burgers my main uses of meat were easily (and tastily ) replaced. I never drank milk often as a drink anyway and soy milk on cereal was no big change. I started drinking chocolate soy drink though which I find addictive

I gave up cheese fairly easily even though I ate it regularly.

To be honest I found it rather easy to change ... I never ate out much at all ( I wasn't making much money so didn't spend it on eating out) so the "convenience" of restaurants wasn't much of a problem to lose.

It's opened up so many other cooking options and foods to eat that it's been a huge bonus. Trying new types of veggies and fruits and incorporating nuts and fruits in meals and other new cooking methods has been great

I think I made a couple or more mistakes in the last almost 9 months in buying veggie "cheese" slices once and then finding out thewy had casein in them. Also bought bread with a milk derivative once.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
transition? bah

actually i wish i had transitioned better, i just sorta "woke up" one day and decided to never touch animal products again. i went from omni to vegan in a day and boooooy was that harsh on my poor little metabolism. it took me a while to cut out little things like casein and whey too, and i'm still sorta battling that, it's hard to avoid those things sometimes, but i don't consider myself less vegan for it. what's the point in making such big changes in your lifestyle if you can't be proud of it and feel guilty everytime you eat something with .05 grams of milk protein. pah.

i'm still also working towards cutting out refined sugar, bleached flour etc, and hope to start buying more organic in the future

eta: oops forgot to mention, that like dk, i found it very easy to make the change. i wasn't a real big meat eater anyway, but was a dairy addict. i thought it would be really hard and heard about other people having cravings and yo-yo-ing back and forth because of it, but i honestly didn't have any of that. i guess i was just so set on not eating that stuff anymore that my body didn't fight it

also, i did it because of reading articles on slaughterhouse practices, how milk cows and egghens are raised etc and some of the photos made me want to throw up and/or kill myself, so that was a pretty good incentive!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
About a week after I got the idea of going vegetarian I just quit eating meat "cold turkey"(hehe
) In the first week I ate meat two times(oops!) but after that i've never touched it again. So for me going veg was easy!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I started to cut back on dairy and eggs last October but found it harder than i thought. It was so weird, i would be out for dinner and almost out of habit order stuff with eggs and cheese

Just a little over a month ago i decided i was going to stop 'fooling around' and just do it!! My hubby and kids still eat Dairy and eggs. But since i do all the shopping and cooking we don't have much of either anymore

Finding this BB has been a great

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Well I became vegetarian in January. I'd tried it before but i lacked the knowledge and the support. I was living at home at the time which made it more difficult. I started working at a clinic last summer where half the staff was vegetarian and I began asking questions about it. I started reading more and more and decided that over the next year I would make the transition to vegetarian but after a couple of days I realized i couldn't eat meat anymore so it was more coldturkey. It just felt so natural and right. I'm leaning towards veganism. I don't eat eggs. I've switched to soy milk. Cheese will be the hardest to give up. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
261 Posts
Me, I became a vegetarian 5 years ago, I gues it was, when I stood in line at a McDonald's for two hours for those TY Teenie Beanie Babies (remember them..yeah..I was obsessed), and the smell made me so sick I swore off all hamburgers, worked my way from there quite quickly. I realized during that transition I believed eating animals was wrong. It took like two weeks till I ropped all meat..ending with a turkey sandwich, which I couldn't finish I was so disgusted.

So up until December of 2001, I was pretty much an uneducated veggie, eating without asking and reading labels, etc. Then I started reading, by March of 2002, when we got a new computer, which I thought was so cool (don't laugh), I ended up doing a ton of research on the internet and learning so much I never knew about factory farming practices. I became a vegan then, I ate all dairy I had in the fridge and never bought another thing. Now I'm a vegan and never happier.

Cassie

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I saw Apocalypse Now and afterwards I was so upset about that slaughtered cow at the end, and talking to my stepdad about it... not intending to be mean, he laughed and said "Well I got news for you! You eat cows like that every day." And then it clicked in my brain that I didn't want to do it anymore. And I haven't eaten an animal since.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I kinda transitioned, and I kinda went right in. I stopped eating beef during the BSE crisis. I wasn't going to get CJD!! That was in 1996. And then a year later, about April/May of 1997, I decided to go fully vegetarian at the age of 12. The last meat I ate was bacon, and I was cooking it, and it kind alooked like flesh, which put me off, so I decided "I'll eat this, then I'll stop eating meat." And I did. I was quite informed about some additives like gelatin already, but it took a couple of years to be informed about others like carmine, rennet, etc

So I've been doing this for six years, slowly leaning towards veganism. I never considered veganism up until a year ago, when I met some friendly vegans on vegweb. (Beforehand, vegans were "extremists" and veganism made no sense to me.) Now, about half the food i cook is vegan, and I'm slowly getting less dependent on dairy, so this transition will be one that i'm doing very slowly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I met a vegan, who was my counslor at Interlochen Arts camp. I didn't really try to vegy for a long time after that. But I did tell myself one day I would go vegy because I thought it was the right thing to do. Why I waited I don't know, I guess I wasn't totaly convinced unitl I researched and read the new ethics of eating. Then it went from mega meat eater, literlaly, I had eaten massive quantities of meat and loved it, to complete and strict vegan litteraly over night. insane.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I cut out meat immediately, and other things as I discovered they weren't vegetarian, like habitual foods that I found contained gelatin. And while I have no intention of going vegan, I've learned moderation when it comes to animal products.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have always felt hypocritical about eating meat as I adore animals and hate cruelty, but always thought I wouldn't survive nutritionally coz I'm a VERY fussy eater. I knew one vegetarian and talked to her a bit but wasn't really very open to it. Anyway, one day I was at the Body Shop getting a free foot massage (YEAH!) and the girl was telling me she was a vegetarian... I started thinking... anyway I tried tofu and I liked it, made felafel and liked it, and just sorta decided no more meat. That was two months ago. I have not craved it at all, but it has been kinda hard with things like takeaway and eating out, and the convenience of it all, but no-one's given me a hard time for it, which helps. I am a lacto-ovo, but my eggs are certified free range organic, and my milk is organic... I won't cut out eggs ever I don't think (I don't have a problem with them if they're cruelty free) but I am thinking very hard about dairy... it's a hard one though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts