VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been a vegetarian for 2 years and 10 months. And honestly, I just haven't gotten it right. I'm always incredibly tired. I try to eat healthy, but I don't think I'm eating enough, because if I did I'd probably be less tired.

What amount of things do I need each day (protein, dairy/soy, carbs, iron, vitamin B12, anything needed for a healthy diet)?

I don't want to loose that much weight. My main goal is actually to just have more energy. I'm tired of being tired =P.

I am a 17 year old female. That may aid in some advice. I do take vitamins (I take Teen Girl Multivitamins and Calcium Vitamins). How can I get enough protein (in example) without eating veggie burgers all the time? After almost three years, Veggie burgers have gotten very boring. I'd like a varied diet, but a healthy one. I just can't seem to figure it out. =/

And on the topic of exercising, what is a healthy amount of exercising per day? If you're familiar with Dance Dance Revolution, I highly enjoy that game and play on Heavy (so, if familiar, for how long should I play it each day?). I do like running and taking walks too. I'm thinking about going for an eight mile walk today (there and back). How many miles could I walk/run a day to help me loose weight or at least have more energy. (I shall force myself to exercise without energy because it's the only choice I have =P).

Thank you so much in advance!
-Rachael

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rseider View Post

I do like running and taking walks too. I'm thinking about going for an eight mile walk today (there and back). How many miles could I walk/run a day to help me loose weight or at least have more energy. (I shall force myself to exercise without energy because it's the only choice I have =P). Thank you so much in advance!
-Rachael
It sounds like you are active. Why do you think you need to lose weight?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I say carbs. Protein really isn't more or less important than fat. Atleast, I personally believe in the 80/10/10 macro-nutrient concept. Maybe it's that you're not getting enough carbs, which is the first thing our body uses for energy. Just make sure they come from either fruit or complex carbs (anything whole grain). Switch white rice to brown, white bread to whole grain, etc. You get the gist. Make sure you're well hydrated! I've found this to make a world of difference on my energy level, as silly as it may sound. And it helps with weight loss/management. And of course, the obvious one who is often overlooked, make sure you get enough sleep!

You might be interested in checking out duriranrider's blog. Just google the name.

Hope I helped!

Oh, and if the tiredness persists, ask your doctor to send you for a test to check your thyroid. It's not a big health issue, but worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you tell us what your diet is like, we might be more helpful. It sounds like you're fairly active if you do the walking and dancing on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

It sounds like you are active. Why do you think you need to lose weight?
I do like walking and running, but I don't do it very often. There's nowhere good to go to. Although, I feel like if I set some sort of goal
I would convince myself to do so. And I feel like I should loose weight, because I'm 5' 3" and 160 pounds (maybe more, it's been a while
since I've been weighed), so I am a bit overweight. Not very overweight, but I would just like to be a little skinnier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

I say carbs. Protein really isn't more or less important than fat. Atleast, I personally believe in the 80/10/10 macro-nutrient concept. Maybe it's that you're not getting enough carbs, which is the first thing our body uses for energy. Just make sure they come from either fruit or complex carbs (anything whole grain). Switch white rice to brown, white bread to whole grain, etc. You get the gist. Make sure you're well hydrated! I've found this to make a world of difference on my energy level, as silly as it may sound. And it helps with weight loss/management. And of course, the obvious one who is often overlooked, make sure you get enough sleep!

You might be interested in checking out duriranrider's blog. Just google the name.

Hope I helped!

Oh, and if the tiredness persists, ask your doctor to send you for a test to check your thyroid. It's not a big health issue, but worth looking into.
I'll try to get more carbs and see how it works out. Thanks! =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

If you tell us what your diet is like, we might be more helpful. It sounds like you're fairly active if you do the walking and dancing on a regular basis.
I don't really have a set diet. I kind of just eat whatever I find. I do have veggie burgers, fake sausages, fake meatballs, etc. that I try to eat everyday, but I don't always
stick to it. My diet is very random, as I said "I kind of just eat whatever I find." My mother cooks dinner a lot of nights. Those meals are usually well balanced (she makes
me something vegetarian friendly, vegetables, and something like potatoes usually), so I eat whatever she makes. On nights she doesn't cook and I fend for myself,
my meals are certainly not balanced. That's the same for breakfast and lunch. I do not really know how to put a balanced meal together. I'm not so good with
cooking. =P Also, with the running and walking, I don't do it on a regular basis, but I should. How many miles should I walk/run sayyy per week or maybe per day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erskine View Post

First of all and before suggesting you some exercise and diet plan.
I would like to tell you that weight loss process require a lot of will power that how much you are motivated to lose weight.
I understand that. I am just trying to put together a schedule of some sort to help me stay on track. It is equally about increasing
my energy level so that I stay on track. I figure if I have a schedule/basis to go on, I will stick to it, and I will loose weight and increase my
energy level.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Have you ever tried using a calorie-tracking website like sparkpeople.com? I highly suggest that. It can track all sorts of nutrients in what you're eating, help you learn about portion sizes, and recommend improvements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Have you ever tried using a calorie-tracking website like sparkpeople.com? I highly suggest that. It can track all sorts of nutrients in what you're eating, help you learn about portion sizes, and recommend improvements.
Thanks! I've signed up! It looks great so far!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Sparkpeople is great. There's a TON of support available there. and the nutrition and fitness trackers are a great tool for figuring everything out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts