VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like going to bed early. If I do, I often can go right to sleep, it's just that I feel more alert at night and feel like I'm giving up on the day and next time I am conscious, I will be back at work. So why not enjoy myself more?

I have been getting up later and later. And I am ok once I get up, it's just that pressing the snooze is like a drug. If I am sleeping with a morning person, I can get up fine. If I have an early appt, I can be fine. But I like to work late, and now that it's dark at 5:30 (I walk home, in the city), it would be better to come in at 8:00-8:30 and leave at 5 then in at 9:30 and out at 5:30-6:00. Plus, I think that even if I work the same number of hours, it just looks better to be at work at 8:30 bright eyed and bushy tailed, even though I know I do better work if I stay late instead. It's just a cultural bias, I think.

I know I can do it if I "really want to" I guess the trick is making myself want to. Want to when I'm wrapped up in bed and the room is freezing cold, and the cats want to snuggle and I feel like sleeping 2 more hours.

Has anyone every permanently switched their natural tendency? I have ADHD and I know that probably plays a role.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Kids, made me a morning person against my will they also have no concept of sleeping in on weekends.
I think the time change has some effect I am getting tired earlier since the clocks went back

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I'm going against the crowd here. I'm not an early riser either. I've just decided to live with it, and slot my life around my body's preferences. There's jobs out there that start at all hours, nothing says you have to be a sheep and work a 9-5 shift.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I get up at the same time (7am) every day, even if I don't have to be anywhere. It's made me a morning person.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm insomniac, and I really need to adjust my body clock back to normal. I've been going to bed at 7 a.m. and waking up at 5 p.m. Thanks for the link, I'm gonna check it out.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I'm going against the crowd here. I'm not an early riser either. I've just decided to live with it, and slot my life around my body's preferences.
Me too. I gave up trying to be a morning person years ago because no matter what I tried it didn't work. I've walked out on a few jobs over the years because I just couldn't cope with trying to function at 9am. Eventually I found a job where I could start in the afternoon and I've been fine ever since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I made the switch a few years ago. I am an athlete and did all my training in the evening. I hated mornings. A few years ago, my family situation changed and I had to make the decision to get up early to train, or give my athletics up. I chose to get up early. I hated it for several months. Gradually, I began to accept. Then, I even started liking it a bit. Next thing I knew, I looked forward to getting up at 3:30Am to get my workout in. My family situation has sinced changed back to where I could train in the evening again. I still choose to get up way to early to workout. I love mornings!

As others have said, you really need to just get up and jump out of bed, no thoughts. Any thoughts that early in the morning are liley to be about going back to sleep.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
Unfortunately I can't help you much because Im useless at getting up in the morning. I've woken up around about lunchtime for ages now because mornings freak me out. Just the idea of having to do a job where I'd have to be there at 8 or 9 in the morning makes me depressed and borderline panicky.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I'm going against the crowd here. I'm not an early riser either. I've just decided to live with it, and slot my life around my body's preferences. There's jobs out there that start at all hours, nothing says you have to be a sheep and work a 9-5 shift.
I'm in Uni, and sleeping 7am-4pm is doing nothing for me because I can barely show up to lectures.

That said, i went to bed at 5.30 this morning and was up at 8. Go me =D. Even I dont catnap (althogh i will) ill still be staying up til at least 4am because once it gets to about 10 i'll wake right up. booooo.

Wierdly, I like being a night person. its nice being up late. but i kinda need to pass uni! My boyfriends the same as me and got booted out of college 'cause of it. that doesnt help!

But yeah anyhoo itd be nice to be able to at least go to bed at like 2-3 so i'll check these links out tooooo

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I am the HARDEST person to wake up in the morning. No matter if I have had 10 hours or 2 hours I used to be groggy and headachy and sleep through alarms and dragging my butt to get up. We bought one of these: http://www.outsidein.co.uk/sadrange.htm#bodyclocks (this is a UK site but I'm sure you can get them in the US)

It is a sunrise simulator clock. It starts bringing up gradual light in your room 30 minutes before you want to be up so when the gentle alarm goes off the room is filled with light and you wake feeling refreshed. I swear this has been a God send for us. Even asleep your body registers the light changes so when it is time to get up you are awake. It even has a sunset feature that decreases light until the room is dark. I have not had trouble going to sleep since we got it. I used to lie there for HOURS, counting sheep etc.

It is expensive (I paid £100) but it is so worth it as sunrise is so late in the mornings and sunset at 4:30 in winter. Really difficult to cope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts