VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
The term "free-range" eggs isn't regulated. It could mean anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post

The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outdoors in order to receive the free-range certification. Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means. Many egg farmers sell their eggs as free range merely because their cages are 2 or 3 inches above average size, or there is a window in the shed.
More info on free-range labeling: http://www.cok.net/lit/freerange.php

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any information about the Canadian government's regulation of the term? I'm not in the US.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Here's some info from the Toronto Vegetarian Association:

http://www.veg.ca/issues/egg-campaign.html

A highlight:

The U.S. regulates the use of the term on chicken but not on eggs, and doesn't stipulate how much outdoor time is required. Canada regulates neither. No other criteria, such as environmental quality, size of the outside area, number of birds, or space per bird, are included in this term.

So in a nutshell, Canada is worse than the U.S.

One thing you can be assured is that no matter how "nicely" the hens are treated, for every layer hen that is born, there is a male chick hatched as well. Since those birds are not useful to the industry, they are generally killed immediately, usually by suffocation/gassing. So by purchasing ANY kinds of eggs, people are responsible for those deaths.

Furthermore, hens go on to be killed and used as meat once their productivity declines.

It pretty much sucks ass to be a chicken.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Had a hen(Barred rock breed) who preumsibly sp? died of old age and continued to lay eggs. These eggs were thin shelled and broke easily. We even gave her extra calcium supplements. I don't think any commerical place would deal with this.

I bet if someone were to rescue some layer hens, they could still get eggs for a long time. Actually good idea for someone who likes eggs to just consider their own chickens.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yeah I saw some battery hens that had been rescued by the NZ SPCA and went on to live for years and produce eggs for a long time as free range hens (actually free range). It took them a while to get healthy though, they were malnourished and had lost most of their feathers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Had a hen(Barred rock breed) who preumsibly sp? died of old age and continued to lay eggs.
You had a hen that died of old age and continued to lay eggs?

It seems that there are better standards in the EU for free range than you guys have in North America.

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you live in the united kingdom it's possible to look into Clarence Court eggs. .......they have a webcam where you can see the hens in action, and they seem to have a near faultless manifesto.

unfortunately it appears i can't input urls as of yet, so if you go to google and search "clarence court" and click on the first link.....
. go to "eggstras" and view the hencam.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Heart View Post

Clarence court looks good, but presumably there are still the problems with male chicks and old hens.
yeah
those two issues are what make cruelty in commercial egg "production" pretty much systemic. It can't be overcome.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmelodicgenius View Post

i'm not so sure-because it says they feed their hens on vegetarian food...pretty pointless if you were going to slaughter the male chicks anyway?
I think that the boasting about vegetarian feed is less about the rights/welfare of the animals wo would be fed to them, and more about the dangers of disease because of animal byproduct food.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts