VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i generally buy already to use crumbles that are made from [email protected], but to my understanding you must soak [email protected] in water to rehydrate it.

first thing that came to mind is shepards pies (someone mentioned it on a different thread.

1/2 pd. crumbles or vegan sausage( i use half and half)

1 can green beans (14.5 oz.) (you can use any veggies these are our favs for this dish).

1 can corn

1 can black eye peas

1 can diced tomato

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 sm onion chopped

1/2 tsp. garlic granules

1 tsp. each dried oregeno & bazil

1/4 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup vegetable broth

also i really never measure the seasoning, so you should do it to taste.

Directions:

-saute "meat", onion, & garlic in oil till lightly browned

-add oregeno, basil & thyme

-add flour, vegetable broth (in that order)

-stir constantly till flour covers "meat"

-add tomatoes, green beans, corn, black eye peas, salt & pepper

-spoon mixture into a casserole dish

Mashed pototoes recipe - there are several vegan instant mash potatoes out there or you can make from scratch.

-Top the "meat" mixture with the mashed potatoes in a casserole dish.

-Bake at 375 degrees for 20 mins. / broil for 5 mins. careful not to burn top.

ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
You need to rehydrate TVP (textured soy protein.) but though it has no flavour, it does replace the texture of ground beef very well. To get a taste out of it, soak it in veg. stock before you use it. It will absorb some of the flavour.

Anyway, this may be a simple recipe, and I did adapt it from how my sister makes spag bol, but if you like spaghetti bolognese, then this should help:

http://www.vegweb.com/food/subs/5492.shtml

However, I've always hated cheese, so I have no idea how to make a vegan parmesan, so you'll have to research that one if you like spag bol w/ parmesan.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I like to throw a handful of the dry TVP flakes into a sauce to add more texture. Well, I usually add more than a handful, depending on how much sauce I'm making! This is good for spaghetti sauce, Skyline Chili sauce (instead of the "normal" ground beef).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts