VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved into a house with mainly meat eaters, I don't impose my lifestyle on them because that's not my job, but I do get very frustrated when my friend tries to tell me info I already am aware of or researched on. They try to counteract my choices as a way of just showing disagreement, but I hear it so often, and it frustrates me.

What advice do you guys have on dealing with overly sensitive meat eaters who want to explain your diet to you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
What I would do is talk to them one by one and ask if they eat dogs and cats, When they say no, you should explain that pigs are as smart as dogs or cats and can do tricks, so if they don't eat dogs they shouldn't eat pigs. This will cause cognitive dissonance in their minds, then show them videos of pigs doing tricks on youtube.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
First, if they're eating meat in front of me, or preparing it in front of me and trying to tell me about my diet, I tell them (VERY POLITELY) that I don't discuss my food choices when people are eating or preparing animals to be eaten. I tell them that I've found people tend to feel overly defensive about it and communications for both sides is hard, so I opt to talk about it after people have eaten.

When they bring a subject to me, it depends on how I'm feeling. If I'm tired, or fed up, or can tell they're doing it just to be a pain and not out of any concern for me, I nod and say "Mmmm, very interesting, I'll look into that".

If I've got the energy (which obviously I never have because where do I even get my protein?!) I try and answer their questions or assertions as best I can. I figure that if someone is engaging me and disagreeing with me, then they're defensive and if they're defensive it means my choices are getting through to them. So, my answering their questions might give them the impetus later on, to do more thorough research or to really question their own assertions.

Now that I'm veg, I can look back at the veg*ns/people who were struggling with the ethics of being omni in my life and the choices they'd made while they were around me. None of them made me go veg, but all of them made me question and absolutely all of them made me defensive. I said some pretty insensitive things in that time, but it was out of fear, more than anything else.

So have hope :D (And I hope your situation improves)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I agree with kiwibird, I'd say something simple like "thanks for your concern, but I've researched my decision and I'm happy with my lifestyle."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with kiwibird, I'd say something simple like "thanks for your concern, but I've researched my decision and I'm happy with my lifestyle."
I think that's the best approach, one of my roommates tries to talk to me about GMO and pesticides like I haven't researched them and I just stare at them.

·
plant-based advocate
38 Posts
What folks choose to eat can be such a sensitive topic! When asked about my choices I usually say, "I feel better when I eat this way." You can't really argue with that and it covers both health and ethical reasons without going into the details! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What folks choose to eat can be such a sensitive topic! When asked about my choices I usually say, "I feel better when I eat this way." You can't really argue with that and it covers both health and ethical reasons without going into the details! :)
Generally when I say that, it shuts them down. I have a really sensitive stomach so eating veg helps me so much.

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
Tell them everybody has an opinion about food, and yours is just as valid as theirs.

Then ask them to tell you how many people have died from a protein deficiency, since vegetarians never get enough protein according to meat eaters.

Ask them what causes heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol levels, and most types of cancer.

Ask them how much fat, cholesterol, growth hormones, pesticides, and animal antibiotics are in fruits and vegetables.

As you can tell, I have a limited tolerance for other people "educating" me about my food choices. If they can prove that a meat based diet is better than a vegetarian one, I'm all ears. The fact is, they can't.

They should respect your dietary choices, just like your political, religious, and sexual orientation choices.

And remember..... their opinions are just that....opinions. People change their mind constantly. Live the life YOU want to live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts