VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the view today (don't ask) and a feature on houses for sale throughout the USA. I was a little shocked at how cheap housing appeared to be and it got me interested whether that was a realistic representation of housing prices in the USA. What would a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home cost in your locality USA?

·
Registered
596 Posts
the cost of housing in the US has always been lower than ours because they build their homes using light construction materials. Cheaper materials mean cheaper prices.

·
Registered
992 Posts
It is definitely a buyer's market right now. You can get a lot for your money.

I just sold a really nice 2 bedroom condo in a great location here in Chicago that I paid $301,000 for five years ago. It sold for $220k. And that was by far the highest offer I got.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Prices can vary greatly by region even in the same state. For example, here in California the San Francisco bay area and coastal towns like Santa Cruz are very pricey. Get out into the valley and prices drop dramatically. In the county I live in, prices vary even in the towns in this county.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Agreed that it can vary. I've just been looking at houses in the town where my parents live, in West Michigan. Searching for 2 BR or larger, there were over 50 houses available under 50K asking price. It's a very typical middle class town in most ways, though struggling more than some in the tough economy. Both my folks and some friends in Chicago have put off plans to move out of state because they'd have to take such a hit on their houses. Where my sis used to live in Indiana, you could get a 4BR house for about 50-60K without much trouble...garage, big yard, basement, the whole shabang.

For contrast....
We've been hunting here, trying to decide if we want to keep renting or buy. Even though prices have dropped significantly, avg 2 BR house (and not a detached house or generally one with a garage, and only a small garden/yard) = just over £200,000 (about 320K in US dollars).

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
this real estate nightmare has pounded me through the floor. at least i'm not underwater. i can't imagine how much stress it would be to own something worth 100k but owe 200k on it. however, if i do hit it good in biz, it will help me because i'd like to find me a big spread of land
. yee ha! then i can really be a farmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts