VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love spicy food and hot sauces. I was thinking about making my own. Any tips or suggestions? What is your favorite hot sauce? I kind of wanted to do a roasted habanero with low vinegar. And some other crazy stuff. I was even thinking about growing my own peppers and tomatoes. I suck at that though so I think just the farmers markets will be where I get them.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My favorite is Harold's Dangerously Hot. It provides a nice "punch" of heat, but still retains a nice full flavor. There are a few sauces hotter than this that I do like, but this one remains flavorful given how hot it is rather than just burning your face off. It's made from Red Savina Habaneros.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I second the cholula recommendations (especially the lime one!) I also love sriracha and valentino.

Hottest one I've ever had was something called Z but its flavor was terrible.

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I second the cholula recommendations (especially the lime one!) I also love sriracha and valentino.

Hottest one I've ever had was something called Z but its flavor was terrible.

Dear lord i forgot Sriracha.bad me. Does Valentino compare??? terrible name for a hot sauce though. wait, you didn't mention Tap?? that hurts.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Dear lord i forgot Sriracha.bad me. Does Valentino compare??? terrible name for a hot sauce though. wait, you didn't mention Tap?? that hurts.
Valentino is more like cholula than sriracha. It's appropriate for mexican food and the like rather than asian food. I'm not sure I've tried Tapatillo, I may have to look into that.

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Valentino is more like cholula than sriracha. It's appropriate for mexican food and the like rather than asian food. I'm not sure I've tried Tapatillo, I may have to look into that.
MAY???! Try it young buck. it's up there as well. Cholula's on top of the heap though.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Quote:

MAY???! Try it young buck. it's up there as well. Cholula's on top of the heap though.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Anyone ever have Dave's Insanity Sauce? He has a lot of other tasty hot sauces too. http://store.davesgourmet.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=38
I have tried that! I don't remember how it tasted, though, because it was part of a hot sauce challenge where you went down the line of about eight hot sauces ranging from tabasco from death with a handful of chips and ate a scoop of each.

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
I'm a sucker for advertising. So, there's so many cool looking hot sauces that are just run of the mill. That's why i stammer at Dave's sauces. Sounds like all hype and not the best quality. but,....

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Elitist.
Quote:

I'm a sucker for advertising. So, there's so many cool looking hot sauces that are just run of the mill. That's why i stammer at Dave's sauces. Sounds like all hype and not the best quality. but,....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.