VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have a fabulous hot chocolate recipe to share? I have never made vegan one and I am unsure of what milk to use. I heard many people use coconut milk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
I'm lazy and cheap. I just heat up a mug of chocolate almond, soy, or coconut milk to get my hot chocolate fix.
Once Silk's seasonal Chocolate Peppermint milk hits the shelf I do the same with that flavor as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we don't have those here :'(
I need to make stuff from scratch, unless I can find something which tastes good with a vegan chocolate powdered drink I found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I'm lazy and cheap. I just heat up a mug of chocolate almond, soy, or coconut milk to get my hot chocolate fix.
Once Silk's seasonal Chocolate Peppermint milk hits the shelf I do the same with that flavor as well.
I do the same with chocolate soy milk but I add a teaspoon or two of extra cocoa powder...then some dandies marshmallows and/or soyatoo whipped cream.
I've never seen Silk's choc peppermint...I'll have to be on the look out for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post

Do any of you have a fabulous hot chocolate recipe to share? I have never made vegan one and I am unsure of what milk to use. I heard many people use coconut milk?
Coconut milk sounds like it would be good. If I am going to make it from scratch (and not with chocolate soymilk like I mentioned in my previous post), I follow the directions on the can of cocoa powder and use almond milk...and maybe some silk creamer to add body to the milk. It's very tasty and hits the spot.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
I follow directions for cocoa using vanilla, or sweetened soymilk, and just sugar to taste.

Same for cooked pudding, BTW, but I use chocolate almond and a touch of sugar
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post

Do any of you have a fabulous hot chocolate recipe to share? I have never made vegan one and I am unsure of what milk to use. I heard many people use coconut milk?
I use unsweetened coconut milk with non-dairy AAAAAAAAHLASKA!!!!! instant hot cocoa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
I could really go for some hot chocolate now. I guess I know what I'll be making tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx guys! I will go try it out now! I have been craving it for a while!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I follow directions for cocoa using vanilla, or sweetened soymilk, and just sugar to taste.

Same for cooked pudding, BTW, but I use chocolate almond and a touch of sugar
Mmmm... chocolate almond pudding! I'll have to give this a try. Do you add cornstarch? How long do you cook it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
Ooh, that looks great! Thanks for sharing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Oh, and if you have a milk steamer, say on an espresso machine, use that!
And if you're of drinking age, add a little Peppermint Schnapps for good measure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,184 Posts
I just use drinking chocolate powder with either my usual lite soy milk or vanilla soy milk. When feeling the need for something a bit boozey I add a dash of brandy. To get different flavours I use the various essences I have for baking with. Peppermint, caramel and vanilla essence are all nice additions. If I had more money to spend I'd use proper syrups like cafes use for syrup lattes.
 

·
Riot Nrrrd
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
I use vanilla almond milk, melt a chunk of a vegan chocolate bar in it, and sweeten with brown sugar. I've tried stirring in some masa harina but never had much success with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I use vanilla almond milk, melt a chunk of a vegan chocolate bar in it, and sweeten with brown sugar. I've tried stirring in some masa harina but never had much success with that.
Mmmm... Mexican hot chocolate. Brown sugar is so good along with cinnamon. I love the melted chocolate bar idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am drinking it now!
I actually melted some dark chocolate inside and mixed it with soy milk. YUM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
This thread is bad for our grocery budget. I've been making a lot of hot chocolate and I'm going through our soy and almond milks really fast now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMM! Chocolate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,595 Posts
I just want to say that I thought it was very funny that SwissMiss was asking for hot chocolate recommendations.


http://www.swissmiss.com/index.jsp

I'm sure they're not vegan though.

Anyway, I've made hot chocolate with any non-dairy milk and they've all turned out super. I usually use cocoa powder and sugar and just add it until it tastes great. It might be time for that soon, it's getting cold in the world...
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top