VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a hot chili pepper plant today! I do not know what kind other then hot chili. It is so cute! I have no clue how to take care of it though. If I can grow this I may try a habanero next.

I live in Florida. I am not so good at keeping plants alive also.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Give it lots of light and water. The more light it receives, the hotter the peppers get.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Hey, by the way, did you know they need sunlight?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is in a pot right now but I think replanting it would be best. I need to ask sister where I can plant it (and if) in her yard. I am excited to attempt this.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I grew a single habanero in a 5 gallon (20 liter) tub and it produced plenty of peppers. Peppers fresh off the vine may be slightly hotter than the ones you get from the market. And the green ones are mostly just as hot as the orange ones. They turn orange on the vine or, if you pick them green, they turn orange over the course of a few days.

Oh, and the more sunshine, the hotter!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I've never grown peppers, but... I have found that plants in containers, grown outside, dry out really fast. You live in Florida, so if you decide to keep it in a pot, you'll be busy keeping it watered. (I just had to be contrary and mention water instead of sun...)

I know potted plants are more often killed by too much water than too little, but that's generally if they're kept inside.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

First batch.

I have a bunch still green and a few blooms.

What should I do with them?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barilko View Post

Puncture each one several times with a fork and then immerse them in a small jar w/vinegar.

Or in a bottle of Vodka.
OH my vodka sounds perfect!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those look so tasty! If you get habeneros, just be careful when picking them. My uncle wasn't using gloves and went to the bathroom promptly after picking some. Let's just say oops.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I bought a hot chili pepper plant today! I do not know what kind other then hot chili. It is so cute! I have no clue how to take care of it though. If I can grow this I may try a habanero next.

I live in Florida. I am not so good at keeping plants alive also.
I am in Florida. I live in the Port Saint Lucie area. I am going to start some plants soon. Hot peppers are said to tolerate the heat better. Well if more light makes them hotter we are going to have some really hot peppers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Drying the leftover peppers is great for saving them. Just run a needle and thread threw them until you've filled whatever your length of string, and hang 'em up.. I usually have them readily available hanging in the window above the kitchen sink. I was meaning to start a full-scale garden this year, but the weather, my days off, and proper planting times never seemed to want to work together.. probably gonna wait until I move into a more permanent home now (I'm currently renting) so my efforts will be fruitful for more than just one season. My dad always has a garden though, and in the least a small pepper garden (chilis, Thai chilis, habaneros, jalapenos, etc... no peppers for the weak
) in the flower bed on their back patio. I gots all kindsa useful information on growing peppers if ya need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.