VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ummm...i thought this was pretty easy to find, but i guess not

basically since carob is a substitute for cocoa/chocolate, i thought i was able to make a drink like "hot chocolate" but with carob powder instead.

but from the few recipes i've found, they're really weird. i thought all i would have to do was mix some carob powder with soy milk and heat it up.

does anyone know if its possible to make a hot drink like this with carob powder and soy milk, just as simply as making it with regular milk and cocoa powder?

thanks!

-Stephanie

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Rice Dream acually make a Carob Classic, that I bought at Whole Foods the other day. I use to get Soy Dream with Carob but haven't seen it in the stores in close to a year. It was delicioso, as with the rice drink its not as ,can I say it "creamy". I have alwayed like carob and back quite a few years ago it was more availible in products, But I quess with all those wonderful thing they keep saying about cocoa these day that it has lost some of it's appeal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think i've seen those Rice Dream Carob drinks around here..

but i was actually looking for recipes where i can make my own drink, cause i have a huge pack of carob powder that i wanna use up lol

thanks though, i'll still keep my eyes open next time im in the store

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
First, you take that carob nonsense back to the store, and you get cocoa powder.

Seriously, I think carob is freak-nasty. I have however, made a quicky hot chocolate with a smidge of powdered sugar, cocoa powder and "milk". If you can't see the light, perhaps you could try and make a pale imitation of this drink with carob powder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i cant take the stuff back. i have nothing else to use. i cant use cocoa powder cause its got cafeine in it

ugh this sucks. i wanted to make a "hot chocolate" drink with carob powder while i put up the christmas tree with my mom tonight

·
Registered
787 Posts
Why not try? I make my own cocoa mix with 1/2 and 1/2 sugar and cocoa powder. Can't see any reason it wouldn't work with carob, if you like the stuff.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hm. If you have some sweetener around, you should be able to do that. I used powdered sugar because it dissolves well. If you simmer some regular sugar though, it would work/dissolve. Maple syrup, honey, etc....anything sweet, along with the carob and the "milk"..then you're good to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelin View Post

Why not try? I make my own cocoa mix with 1/2 and 1/2 sugar and cocoa powder. Can't see any reason it wouldn't work with carob, if you like the stuff.
hahah, ive never tried the stuff, but i miss having hot chocolate (which i cant anymore). and my only option is carob...so i better like it

so yea, i guess i'll try it. i actually searched for some more recipes and found a few decent ones. theres extra ingredients added to kinda "spice it up", but i could always omit those

·
Registered
441 Posts
i make my own hot carob. i dissolve a bit of the carob in boiling water (just a little) otherwise it stays gritty at the bottom. then i add almond milk, and heat it in the micro.

·
Registered
441 Posts
personally, i am severely allergic to cocoa; after tasting natural carob, it has a better taste, in my opinion. the natural sweetness is perfect!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
The op stated that they are looking to avoid caffeine (in the chocolate).

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't use it like unsweetened cocoa powder? Heat some ~milk, add some carob powder, then keep adding sugar until it is sweet enough. TADAA! (I think w/ hot cocoa its 2 tsp cocoa to 2 tbsp sugar)

·
Registered
787 Posts
^ Really? I use equal parts of cocoa and sugar when I make cocoa mix, and that seems to be about right for me. The recipe I took it from suggested 2 parts sugar to 1 of cocoa powder, but it ended up sickly sweet before it was chocolatey enough, eheh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A friend of mine suggested using 2.5 times the amount of carob powder to cocoa powder for a hot drink. I found this recipe on another site:

- 1 cup vanilla hemp milk

-1 heaping tbs carob powder

-1.5 packets of Stevia

-1/2 tbs of cinnamon

-pinch of sea salt

Pour the hemp milk into a metal pot and heat on medium-high to scald the milk (you want it to be hot but not boiling)

Once the milk has scalded, remove for heat and whisk in the carob powder, Stevia, cinnamon and sea salt until smooth

Devour.

The friend I was telling you about uses almond milk instead and says it's a wonderful drink. I'm headed downstairs to whip one up so I'll let you know how it tastes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just made "hot chocolate" using carob powder. Hubby loves it. Will make this again, and even try a frozen cappaccino using this and teechino (coffee substitute). Can't wait to try it.

Directions for 2 servings:

2 T. carob powder

1 T. agave (sweeten to taste)

2 cups almond milk

Put carob powder in a small pan. Add agave and stir til creamy. You may need to add a tiny bit of almond milk to make it creamy. Then, add 2 cups almond milk, heating over medium heat stirring occasionally. Be careful not to boil. Enjoy!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.