VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting surgery tomorrow and I was wondering what kind of vegetarian options hospitals offer since I'm going to be there for about 2-3 days.

Does anybody have experience with this?

I know hospitals are known for loving to feed people jello. Haha unfortunately that has cow/pig in it, huh?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've heard a lot of people suggest you should have someone bring you food. After his recent surgery, my dad's first meal (he's an omni) was beef broth, jello, coffee and some nutritional drink he hated. I'd be tempted to bring my own veggie broth (or have someone bring it to me).

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I agree with asking someone to bring you food and requesting the hospital not make you anything.

If you can't do that, then I would suggest talking to the hospital before you go in for the surgery and make it clear that you are a vegetarian and ask if they can prepare something vegetarian for you while you are "in dispose" at their facility.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I was in the hospital two summers ago, and they had some decent veg*n options. It was a very large hospital though - they had stuff like pasta with red sauce, veggie burgers, lentil stew, PBJ, and I forget the other stuff.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Definitely have someone bring you food if you feel like eating. I spent 9 days in hospital around Christmas '05, and they couldn't deal with finding vegan food. They were ignorant in general... I'd circle things on the menu like "oatmeal" and "white rice" and they'd send up microwaved Amy's meals... with cheese... even though my diet sheet was marked vegetarian, no beef/chicken broth, no fish, no gelatin, no dairy, no eggs. They also liked sending Jello. I just didn't eat while I was there.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I had no issues when I was in the hospital for a few days when my daughter was born in December of 2005. The hospital I was in had a menu with several options. When it was meal time, you would call down to order what you wanted. The food they had to offer wasn't really all that bad--the breakfast offerings were quite good, as I recall.

I'm lacto-ovo though. Getting vegan food would be considerably more difficult, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I didn't have a problem at all with lacto ovo in the hospital, except that the food just wasn't very good, and there was barely any protein. I'm picky though. I was in last week for an epilepsy monitoring unit, three days, and a women called a "dietary consultant" or something came up and talked to me my first day. Upon discovering I was vegetarian, she gave me a vegetarian menu. But I didn't get choices, the menu was just to see what I would get each day. It was stuff like cheese pizza, lentil stew, cottage cheese and fruit, baked potato, pasta with marinara. And then a random, unbalanced assortment of side dishes and desserts. They seemed more concerned with just making sure the vegetarians had SOMETHING, rather than making sure the vegetarians had protein. Also vegan was out of the question.

BUT, I had a cooler there full of snacks and being the lucky girl I am, had enough family and friends to where there was always someone who could bring me a hot meal from a restaurant nearby, or my house which is literally a block from the hospital I stayed at. The hospital I stayed at also had 3 or 4 restaurants actually inside so as long as someone was with me, they could go to one of them and get something.

Also my neurology tech lady was really nice and would go get me stuff from the vending machine or order me something if she ordered out. I really didn't have to depend on the cafeteria food only.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Having worked in a children's hospital for a couple of months now, I can honestly tell you that there are not many vegetarian/vegan options when it comes to hospital food. Definitely have a friend or family member talk to the dietitian at the hospital to see what they're allowed to bring, because you may not get much to eat if you leave the hospital up to its own devices.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Whoops - totally didn't look at the post date. My response is wicked late and you probably already spent some time in the hospital. Oh well. Sorry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey!

Thanks for everyone's help! I thought I'd post an update [:

I had my surgery on Wednesday morning & got out of the hospital Thursday morning.

I was kind of worried about the food, but I didn't even know if it was going to be an issue since the surgery was on my throat. So I didn't know if I was even going to be able to eat.

WELL, it turns out I WAS, and I was so lucky! The hospital I was staying at had a HUGE menu, and there had to have been at LEAST 10 vegetarian options on it. They had veggie burgers, vegetable stir fry, vegetable pizza, egg salad sandwiches, salads, ect. It was all so good too! [:

I didn't even have to LOOK at jello! YAY! [:

Thanks again!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts