VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
True story:

When I was a kid my parents would sometimes eat horsemeat*.

I once told this to a friend of mine named Simon in school at lunchtime and he was so shocked and repulsed that he couldn't finish his roast beef sandwich.

It's a funny old world, innit?

* They used to eat eel sometimes too. Those crazy Europeans, is there anything they won't eat?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Horse meat, cow meat all the same it is a dead animal slaped on a heat source.

I will never understand why people are shocked that people might eat a horse meanwhile they are eating a burger.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"While I am opposed to both, there is a difference in my mind."

That isn't very informative, is it. WHAT difference?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
If there is a dif, it is simply that only a few thousand horses a slaughtered every year, while several billion cattle are slaughtered every year. They are brought to the same slaughterhouses, on the same trucks, and prodded along to their similarly efficient death and dismemberment in the same short number of hours.

Every time you raise your voice, convincingly, against cattle slaugher, you are saving about 100 times as many animals as if you are just as convincing against horse slaughter.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I don't see a difference.
I suspect the difference is that Anne Sewell didn't write a book titled called Black Bessie and there was never a toy line called My Little Veal Calf.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
jeezyc "I suspect the difference is that Anne Sewell didn't write a book titled called Black Bessie and there was never a toy line called My Little Veal Calf."

So that would suggest that there is difference is in the mind of fiction writers, and eclipse, but that there is no difference in reality.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
No, that is not the difference. Killing horses is more about betraying trust of a companion then killing cattle. Since the webpages state this exactly as I feel, I see no reason to repeat myself.

PS: MY series is based on cattle because I would love to see them get more attention in that area.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think that to most people there is a difference, since horses are seen as pets. Either way, the ban on horse slaughter is saving animal lives, and it is an important step in the right direction. It might open the door for bans on veal, and maybe eventually cattle and pork, although it won't be happening in our lifetime.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
FYI: Love for horses did lead to me to care about cattle and pigs.

Just because I care more about horses, doesn't mean I don't care about cattle and pigs at all for instance.

Ideally, I would like to get my Bruna series out there to create awareness about cattle. Unfortunatly I don't money to have a studio and create my little calf or you bet I would

I havn't decided if and when the Bruna series is done, should I display it on my gallery or try and sell the story to a magazine. Anyone is welcome to see the Bruna series progress right now, but there's no available scanning here that works. SO that means you'd have to physically come here and meet with me to see it.

I did create a picture of my neopet kau being hung dead on a meat hook in my deviantart gallery. I guess it's up to you if I created a sick parody or an awareness type picture.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It is true that Europeans tend to eat a wider range of animals (including snails... yuck !). Africans eat insects, too. I hear some Asian people eat dogs and other "pets" and wildlife. Our local museum of natural history has a display of all the products which used to be made off whales (well into the fifties !). Hell, several countries still consider whaling as acceptable, even in this day and age.

Belgium is particularly known for horsemeat and has several restaurants specializing in it. It does make me shudder more than beef or pork, and yes, it has to do with the companion animal aspect. Theoretically though, I agree that eating animals is eating animals. It's how I explained being vegetarian to the guy I used to ride horsetrails with in Ireland. He asked me why, him being a rural Irishman used to eating beef & all that. I said, you wouldn't eat your horse, or your dog now, would you ? He said no... I said why do you eat your neighbor's cow then ? He saw my point. Sadly though, being of a certain age and set in his ways, he continued to eat the cow.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I'll have to throw my lot in with the people who don't get the difference. Why is an animal who is in the 'pet' category better then any other animal? Beside, wouldn't eating companion horses be less wasteful then breeding bovines to eat? I mean, they will live a nice, full life in the sunshine and every bit of the horse will be used! Wise resource management!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Still don't get it, it has to do with the history of people, how they depended on each other , how horses stood by people's side and died in wars, not the cute fluffy pony thing.

Don't kill the animal that helped develop your civilation as you know it. I don't think the concept is that difficult to grasp even if you disagree.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Still don't get it, it has to do with the history of people, how they depended on each other , how horses stood by people's side and died in wars, not the cute fluffy pony thing.

Don't kill the animal that helped develop your civilation as you know it. I don't think the concept is that difficult to grasp even if you disagree.
So let me get this straight. These brave and valiant horses had a choice in the role they played in developing human civilization? They willingly gave their lives for the betterment of man?

Because otherwise your logic escapes me.

Are you saying I should care more about a horse raised for food because humans chose to take horses into battle instead of cattle?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I still don't get it. Domesticated animals raised for food helped "develop my civilization as I know it." The only difference between using cow over horse as food is culturally driven.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Not only that, oxen are basically cows that were bred to work. They were used to plough fields and pull carts and so they too had a role to play in human civilzation. So cows too should be revered and not eaten out of respect for their role in human history.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts