VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand they are starting in Kentucky a horse shelter. They are not breed specific, they will take any horse, mule or donkey that lives in KY. They are not charging for taking the animal in, so there can be no excuse for sending a horse to slaughter because there is no other option. Once there, they will try to retrain the horse and get it adopted out to another home. The only downside is they will euthanize the horse if the horse can not be retrained or sent to a new adoptive family, they do not have the room to keep every horse forever, but they will work with other rescue groups and other organizations before they get to that point. While they will 'humanely' euthanize a horse, if necessary, it sure beats sending the horse to a horrifying death at a slaughter house.<br><br><br><br>
Hopefully, other states can start such a program. The group's name is Kentucky Equine Humane Center (KEHC).

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sounds good...we have a few rescue centers and retirement homes for horses around here, and yet I still see loads being put down as soon as they cease to be useful or trainable.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There's a horse rehabilitation center near here too. However, the price of keeping a horse is expensive, the price of LAND around here is outrageous, the feed, medical bills, hoof care, etc... so they too have to euthanize those that are "unadoptable" or they'd be broke in a few days time. As it is, they have a huge waiting list for horses to come in, and are always ALWAYS asking $$ donations from the community and they charge quite a steep fee to those who adopt horses, so it all gets a bit bogged down and not as many animals are helped as would be ideal...<br><br><br><br>
Still, it's good to have the program at ALL!

·
Registered
99 Posts
<a href="http://www.millcreekfarm.org/" target="_blank">http://www.millcreekfarm.org/</a><br><br><br><br>
Here's a great horse retirement home near where I live. It's truly a sancuary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts