VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...587279,00.html I was moved by the volume of tributes to Barbaro upon his passing: front-page articles, thousands of cards from fans, a college scholarship in his name. Then I found out Barbaro was a horse.

Here's what they do with dead horses in the rest of the world: they eat them. But in our country the thought of eating horse is so taboo that the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act was just reintroduced in Congress--although there are even fewer horses eaten than flags burned. Despite our reputation, it turns out we are actually a nation that thinks like a 14-year-old girl.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This place is foreign-owned so therefore the owners felt that the soil the slaughterhouse sits on is not subject to American laws (such as laws concerning pollutants and proper disposal of waste) so they fight tooth and nail to keep from cleaning the area up (even though they are the polluters). But, from what I hear, they are being shut down. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. It is just awful to drive by and see all the otherwise healthy horses standing in the lot waiting their turn to end up horse steaks on their way to Europe. People take their horses they can no longer keep and sell at them auction. They think their horse is going to end up on a family farm somewhere living the good life, when in fact their horse has just been bought by a killer buyer and is on it's way to slaughter. Makes me so sick and so sad to think about it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittylover View Post

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...587279,00.html Here's what they do with dead horses in the rest of the world: they eat them. But in our country the thought of eating horse is so taboo that the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act was just reintroduced in Congress--although there are even fewer horses eaten than flags burned. Despite our reputation, it turns out we are actually a nation that thinks like a 14-year-old girl.
I thought the tributes to Barbaro were touching. It is nice to see people express sympathy for sentient beings who suffer at our hands. I guess I think like a 14-year old girl.

I believe the Horse Slaughter Prevention Act was based not on the number of horses eaten here but the number of horses slaughtered and shipped overseas. In any case, to my mind, the comparison of number of horses killed and number of flags burned is moot. A horse, unlike a flag, is sentient and suffers and has a will to live.

A comparison of number of horses killed and number of chickens killed might be more apt. We kill about 10 billion more of the latter each year. But we're nowhere near passage of a Chicken Slaughter Prevention Act, so why not introduce a bill that has enough public support to give it a chance of passing, and move forward from there? In addition to having merit on its own, the HSPA may reinforce that yesterday's blithely accepted (or invisible) cruelties to animals are becoming unnaceptable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't agree with horse slaughter on animals who are perfectly fine and healthy but if there nearing the end of their life, or are sick due to colic,lamentis etc then i think it's ok.

If they wheren't slaughterd for whatever reason ,they'd end up in homes for most of the time people who didn't give a damn about them.

And it would just rise to an increase in horse abuse/neglect cases because of their being to many horses and no so many knowlgable people to care for them.

Though i don't agree with slaughter at all i think it is nesscary in some cases

and if i had the choice

I rather my horse be slaughterd than go to a home where he wouldn't be treated well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Note that a sizable number of horses slaughtered come from the racing industry. The "losers" don't all get sent to green pastures where they live out their lives. The horsemeat industry provides the racing industry with a dumpoff for unprofitable horses.

For horses kept as pets, it's far more humane, digninfied, and respectful to have the vet euthanize the animal by injection than to truck him long distances to a killing plant. Would you want your elderly cat or dog killed at a slaughterhouse halfway across the country, and his muscles and fat shipped as gourmet food to Belgium?

·
Registered
27 Posts
No not under any circumstance , But if say i sold him on to someone etc and then they sold im on i'd rather they sell him to a nice home .

But if i had to choose between slaughter or mean nasty home (hopefully will never happen.) then i'd pick slaughter.

But that will never happen as i won't sell him,and he's gonna stay with me for the rest of my life.

Just so you all know

i do not agree with slaughter ,but i think in some small cases it is nesscary.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had posted in another thread that alot of these horses that go to slaughter are bought at auction. Private individuals take the horses they can no longer care for and put them on the auction floor. The hope is that they will be bought by families who will give them loving homes but the truth is that a lot of good, healthy horses are bought buy killer buyers who then transport them to the slaughterhouses where they are then weighed and purchased by the slaughterhouse (sold by the pound). Terrible endings for all of them. It makes me so sad.

·
Registered
715 Posts
This is all really depressing. I would gladly take any of those poor horses, if only I had a place to keep it. *sigh*

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegzilla View Post

For horses kept as pets, it's far more humane, digninfied, and respectful to have the vet euthanize the animal by injection than to truck him long distances to a killing plant.
Euthanasia is more humane but it costs money and sending it to a slaughter house usually pays. I do think it is wrong to slaughter a horse just because he isnt fast enough but I do not see a huge problem with slaughter if they are dying anyway. I guess I figure it is better for a dying animal to be used for that meat than a healthy one, since they will get the meat anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts