VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've posted in the past that paps are ok and normal and whatnot - today I had one of the worst days of my life from a pap. I'm about 10 weeks pregnant and i had my first check-up today.... they did a pap which is routine (I hadn't had one in over a year anyway) and she warned me "there might be some spotting because a pregnant cervix is very sensitive and more apt to bleed."

SPOTTING had NOTHING to do with it. I had red blood, with black clumps, in what seemed like a LARGE quantity after the pap. I was in tears for about 2 hours, sure I was gonna lose the baby. Its starting to go down now, and I called my doctor and she said its normal, but this is TERRIBLE. I haven't had a drop of spotting my entire pregnancy, this was the most horrifying thing that has happened to me in a long time. I'm still red-eyed and slightly hyperventilating.

So I think i'm never getting a pap again in my life. DEFINITELY never one again while pregnant, I don't care WHAT they say. Pray for my little baby please if you read this.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I'm so sorry for your experience. Try to relax, do kind things to yourself. Remember your baby will be safer if YOU are happy and relaxed.

Be good to yourself. Take care.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I will say a prayer for your baby! Try not to worry too much. I'm sure it can't be good for you or the baby. I have heard that it is normal to do a pap while pregnant and while most women do not experience the kind of bleeding you have, the cervix is very sensitive and there can be some bleeding. If you are able to, try and rest the remainder of the day, stay off your feet, and most of all, try to relax. And please keep us posted!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bled last time I had a smear, about a couple of weeks ago, and I was in pain as well. It was horrible, but it can't have been anything like as bad as it was for you. I do have other problems in that area though. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bleeding is going down now, NOW its what I would have expected from what they called "spotting" - just little spots of blood, not "I gashed my finger" blood :-(

Thank god I don't have any other problems, like cramping - or I'd probably be in a mental institution by now.... thanks for your thoughts and prayers, I know part of this is just being over-emotional due to pregnancy hormones, but knowing that doesn't hold back the floodgates any when I'm scared... :-(

I'd still appreciate any positive vibes and prayers you guys can offer us. *hugs and love to all*

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

No problem. I think I would have reacted the same way!
No kidding, I cut my finger last night and was freaking out. I could never deal with being pregnant; the stress alone would do me in.

to veggielove. Take care, and I'm glad you're doing better now.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
vl...I'm so sorry you've had this experience. Did you talk to the Dr/nurses at all? That is, did they say this was normal?

I'm sure many of us will be sending you positive vibes.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i called and they said it was normal, i find it so hard to believe, because of how terrible it was... and how can they know, they couldn't SEE it, you know???

I called a friend who is a midwife and she said it was normal to have bleeding after a pap during pregnancy, that your cervix at this point is really soft and sensitive and that bleeding could last for up to a day.... seriously I would never have allowed this if I knew that. I'm still shaken up. I might have to take a sick day tomorrow just to recover from this.

It seems to be getting better now, but for all women trying to conceive, get your PAP FIRST so this never happens to you!!! I'm trying to calm down but there is nothing i want in the world more than this baby...........

·
Banned
44 Posts
Yikes.

I am very sorry for the terrible experience you had to endure. I will surely pray for you and your baby.

I didn't even know pap smears were done on pregnant women.

You would think, maybe by now at least, that medical researchers would have come up with a less evasive/less stressful way to check for cervical cancer and whatnot (maybe some type of X-ray?) as well as solutions for the many other problems that affect women, both pregnant and non-pregnant. Perhaps we're too busy trying to find ways for people to look younger?

Anyway, enough of my ranting. This isn't the place for that.

I hope all goes well for you, the baby, and your family.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all your support. I realize I'm still way too shaken up about this today, so I'm not going into work. I'm gonna drive an hour to my mother's house and spend the day with her and my grandmother. This morning its just a SLIGHT discoloration of cervical fluid, just the lightest tint of brown - but I'm still so upset. In some weird way I feel violated, like I was injured. :-( I need to get over this, I don't want to continue to be upset, for the baby's sake. But I'm finding it really hard. I hope the visit to my mother will help me. THanks again for all your support too.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
i had a pap when i was pregnant, as well...though i didn't bleed as severely as you're describing, i did have some bleeding afterwards...and like you...even though i had heard it could happen...i was totally unprepared for it...i think it's just the "worry bug" that hits you when you're pregnant...b/c you want everything to be ok...and when something like that happens, it's so shocking that it makes you nervous...

but, don't worry!! you're fine...your baby is fine & keep thinking positive thoughts...before you know it, the big day will be here!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't think paps on pregnant women are routine in Europe at all. I can't remember having one myself and I am sure it can't be good, nor for you, nor for baby. Pregnancy is overmedicalized as it is (and I was a high risk pregnancy so I was glad to be medicalized, but I still think that it is not necessary in MOST pregnancies to be so invasive...). I am sure Zoebird will have useful things to say about this, let's go find her if she doesn't find this post !

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
i only had a pap when i was pregnant b/c i had not had one previously for 2 years...as far as i know they are not typically routine, otherwise...

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
first, i'm sorry that you had this experience.

second, you can forgo any tests that you want during pregnancy--you needn't do anything. there are women who do not get any paps, bloodwork, U/Ss or other tests during pregnancy. there are others who only get what they want, and nothing else.

ok? you can opt out of anything. they can try to pressure you into doing various tests--but you can refuse them. you are in charge of your health care here.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
btw, feel free to PM me about any other thing that you might be curious about. all of the tests that are "normal" for pregnant women in the US carry various risks. you need to know about these risks. i can point you to information if you want it.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I hope you have a nice and relaxing day with your mother.

If you don't mind, I'll share what I now think is a funny but still irritating story: when I was pregnant with my second child, I had some pretty substantial spotting very early in the pregnancy and called the doctor. I was panicked. Over the phone he told me that is was most likely caused by hemorroids. I told him that, no, it was coming from my vagina and not my rectum . He responded that many women couldn't tell where their spotting was coming from, and if I was really concerned, I should come in. I was livid! I went in, and sure enough I had vaginal bleeding, and I had a weak spot on my cervix that needed a bit of cauterizing (that part wasn't bad at all). Once it was done, the bleeding stopped...and I promptly changed doctors.

I was so made at that man! What nerve - to tell me over the phone that I didn't know where my bleeding was coming from!

If you don't feel like these doctors/nurses/staff took your concerns as seriously as you would have liked, please consider changing practices - you need to feel like you can communicate with your doctor!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i agree with poppy that you might also consider changing care providers.

you could also choose to go with midwifery care instead (for a birth center birth or homebirth) or you could do your own self care.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've not met my OB yet, but I was excited to hear she was vegetarian, so when I meet with her in 2 weeks I'll decide if I want to change practices or not. The person who met with us (I believe) was a midwife or nurse practitioner.

Poppy thanks for sharing your story - what a crazy doctor to think you dont know where blood is coming from!!! i'm glad everything was ok for you!!

I'm feeling much better today. seeing my family yesterday was wonderful. all the women in the family (aunts, my mom, grandmother, my two sisters) gathered to greet me and dote upon me for the day, and to tell me about their experiences, and to reassure me. it was wonderful. i was smothered in love and it was perfect. so i feel much better today. :) Thank you all for your support too, it was probably one of the single most horrifying experiences of my life, i know it sounds silly, but it truely was traumatic for me, much more so than I ever would have imagined. I'm gonna post a new thread, because I have a new question for all you wonderful wise women. Thanks again for your help!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.