VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm so stressed out I can barely stand it, so I figured writing a post could help me get some of these negative feelings out. THis weekend I just didn't feel right. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and had my first childbirth class Sunday, but the whole time was having "braxton hicks" contractions about 20 minutes apart. The teacher was a doula and she was convinced I was just dehydrated, so I just kept drinking water but it didn't help. By the evening, all of a sudden the contractions were 5 minutes apart :-( So hubby and I rushed to labor and delivery, where they hooked me up to the contractions monitor and sure enough I was having pretty strong contractions. :-( THey pumped me full of fluids (despite me telling them I was not dehydrated) and tested my urine and detected an asymptomatic bladder infection :-( They prescribed antibiotics and sent me on my way, since a bladder infection can irritate the uterus and cause contractions.

THey seemed to get better (20 mins apart) for most of the day, and are a little closer now :-( I'm just so freaked out I can barely stand it. I'm worried that the antibiotics might not be the right ones, that the infection is resistant. Today I actually am noticing going to the bathroom a lot more :-( I had a negative fetal fibronectin test performed so my chances of going into labor are really low, but I'm still so scared. I can't stop crying cause i'm afraid the contractions will hurt my baby. :-( Can someone make me feel better? :-(

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
First of all.........take a deep breath, and calm down! stress will do you and the baby NO good.

ok.........what antibiotic are you on? drink lots of fluids to flush it out, this is necessary. some can build up in the kidneys and crystallize......UTI is common in pregnant women.

were you dilated when having the contractions?

you are very close to the magic week where the baby will have fully developed lungs, you are close.

even though you are not there yet, at 28 wks even IF you went into labor and they couldnt stop it, the baby stands an extremely good chance of being perfectly fine. There are drugs they can give to slow your labor and also drugs to give to help the babies lungs in the event the labor progresses to birth

even though you didn't think you were dehydrated you may still have been, hence the fluids........

I think you need to decrease your stress level, cut back at work, rest rest rest. your baby needs to be inside you longer, its the most important thing right now. work will be there,

just breathe and relax.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not dialated yet, but my cervix is short to start with. :-( I'm worried the stupid contractions will make that situation worse :-(

I really have no idea how to unstress myself. I know the stress is bad for the baby but I can't stop crying. I want to stop so bad.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Not dialated yet, but my cervix is short to start with. :-( I'm worried the stupid contractions will make that situation worse :-(

I really have no idea how to unstress myself. I know the stress is bad for the baby but I can't stop crying. I want to stop so bad.
You have to just focus, focus on a healthy baby, focus on something that makes you happy, just relax. You will be fine, the baby will be fine.

the contractions most likely will not cause any changes in your cervix, normal contractions that happen in pregnancy dont. if it is true preterm labor it will but thats when you will be in hospital so they can deal with it.

when you have any contractions, just take a break, have some water or juice, go pee, and lay on your left side. and REST!!! How are the contractions today?

I don't live all that far from Boston, do I have to come over there and force you to take it easy?? LOL

It will all be just fine, really it will!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

Definitely get some rest.
UTIs are quite common..something like 10 percent of pg women get them. So don't let that stress ya.

Think about good things. Talk to your little one. I know it sounds crazy, but an acquaintance of mine did this often when she was having preterm contractions. She would talker her munchkin about how much she was looking forward to meeting him, but that he needed to stay safe where he was for just a little longer, etc.

Do you have a friend who can come over and hang out or take you somewhere fun? You know, something completely frivolous like getting a pedicure or going to the movies.

You've just a few more weeks and then you'll have a whole new set of worries. (just kidding..it's gonna be great)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just got a call from doc saying that its not a UTI afterall - a more thurough test of my urine sample I guess "proved" that. So she told me to stop the antibiotics. And that I have to pay attention to teh contractions, since they are often so close together, to check for intensity, etc. Just what I needed, something new to obsess and stress over, for LONG term instead of just a few days. :-(

She also told me since I had a negative fetal fibronectin that I'm clear to go to work, just to take it easy and pay attention to the contractions. How the heck am I supposed to focus at work if I'm worried about contractions?? :-(

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I DONT NEED THIS. I CANT HANDLE THIS. ITS TOO MUCH STRESS AND I CANT FUNCTION LIKE THIS. I think i'm having a nervous breakdown

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
If you think work will make it more stressful, then the answer is pretty obvious (that you should stay home and rest). On the other hand, it might serve as a distraction.

As for recording the contractions, that's just good advice. There's no need to stress more over that..just keep a pad of paper nearby.

I can only imagine how scary this must be for you, but think of the good things..your baby's doing fine, you don't have to take the antibiotics.

See if you can find a way to MAKE yourself relax...some tea, a favorite "gulity pleasure" video, whatever. You CAN function (plus your hubby can help, yeah?)

Do you have AIM?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Just try to remember your doc wouldn't be so relaxed about things if she thought there was a real chance of preterm labor. My sister had the same situation with early contractions she had to monitor and everything was fine, she went to 36 weeks (twins, so that was normal.)

Try to relax. I know that's easier said than done. But you'll both be fine.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi jen, wolfie. No jen i dont have AIM, my husband does at work but since I can't use it there I never got it.

I'm actually doing a little better now - I read through my childbirth book a little and it suggested writing a relaxation mantra to help you get through contractions, since I'm having them now i figured why not, so i wrote this:

This is not about me, its about my child

my baby is hyper, precocious and wild (this line makes me laugh)

she kicks and she wiggles to say she's ok

I smile and I hug her to keep her that way

Saying this over and over again has turned off the waterworks and lowered my heart rate. I'm gonna keep focusing on it to get me through this. thanks so much for your kindness and support. man these pregnancy hormones are insane - pregnancy is like a soda pop bottle - adding stress is like adding a mentos. ;P

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I've heard braxton hicks contractions being referred to as "practice contractions" at times. Think of it this way... in 12 weeks when your bean is all grown, your body will be an expert in giving birth!

If you really feel uncomfortable, go back to the hospital and have them check you again, especially if that will reassure you that everything is fine. That's why they're there!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

This is not about me, its about my child

my baby is hyper, precocious and wild (this line makes me laugh)

she kicks and she wiggles to say she's ok

I smile and I hug her to keep her that way
Great idea! That's adorable.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm glad to see that you're calming down a bit, veggielove. Remember that science can do a lot of miracles these days with preemies. Yes, 38+ weeks is best, but I know a 23 1/2 week baby who is now a happy cheerful 6 year old boy who can read! Those first months were hard on all of us, but what a reward.

In the meantime, find things which relax you (read, watch movies, get your friends together to just chitchat, take up knitting, etc.) and take it easy. When one of my friends was on bedrest, I tried to visit once or twice a week. I wouldn't be surprised if your friends do that, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts