VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this in this morning's paper.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Dairy Farmers Fearful of WIC Program

I think that's fantastic that grains, fruits and veggies are going to be up'd in the program. I used to use WIC and these are the things I wanted more of. We used to get "coupons" to use for the Farmer's Market, but only during the summer. This way, families could get fresh fruits and veggies all year long.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That's great!
I'd heard rumors about that. Not sure if it will be in our area or not. My big thing is that I wish they would be more open to vegan options. You CANNOT get soy or rice milk, etc, using the checks. I'm going to talk to them about it at my next appointment since we're not really using cow's milk or cheese at home anymore. (I don't touch it, but don't forbid the kids either)

Anyway, yay! And may they take a step in the right direction with the soy alternatives too.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
The fruits and veggies plan is awesome...the "good stuff" is expensive in a lot of areas.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

That's great!
I'd heard rumors about that. Not sure if it will be in our area or not. My big thing is that I wish they would be more open to vegan options. You CANNOT get soy or rice milk, etc, using the checks. I'm going to talk to them about it at my next appointment since we're not really using cow's milk or cheese at home anymore. (I don't touch it, but don't forbid the kids either)

Anyway, yay! And may they take a step in the right direction with the soy alternatives too.
IN The one article it does mention that Soy and tofu are options for those who are lactose intolerant (which we ALL are)..but it would be better if it wajust a choice and not come with an 'if'..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My state's book specifically states that they provide lactose-free milk (still milk-based, like Lactaid) for the lactose-intolerant. You have to have a note from a doctor, I believe, and it has to be specified that way on the checks.

They also specify that NO Soy or Rice milks are to be purchased. Period. And this is an up to date book.

Like I said, I'll bring it up at my next meeting with them and ask if there is anything they can do. Worst case, I use it for the beans, juice, and cereal, and leave the rest.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

My state's book specifically states that they provide lactose-free milk (still milk-based, like Lactaid) for the lactose-intolerant. You have to have a note from a doctor, I believe, and it has to be specified that way on the checks.

They also specify that NO Soy or Rice milks are to be purchased. Period. And this is an up to date book.

Like I said, I'll bring it up at my next meeting with them and ask if there is anything they can do. Worst case, I use it for the beans, juice, and cereal, and leave the rest.
Good Luck...I hope it works ou for you and your familiy

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"they also specify that NO Soy or Rice milks are to be purchased. Period. .. Worst case, I use it for the beans, juice, and cereal"

Perhap you could buy beans (soy beans), and rice, and make your own soy milk and rice milk. Given the cost of rice (about $0.50 per pound), the typical prices that retailers charge for a liter of rice milk (about $2.50) seem oddly expensive. I'd guess a liter of rice milk comes from only about 1/4 pound of rice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts