VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few hoopers on the board, let's start a thread about it!

I bought myself a hoop back in the summer and there's just enough room in my bedroom for me to hoop in one space. When I first got it I just stood and hooped for 2 hours straight! Holy crap the bruises the next day...

I'm hoping to get into it a bit more seriously and learn some more tricks than just basic hooping. I'd like to find a class but they all seem to be at the wrong time or too far away

So who else hoops?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oooh me I'm a hooper, I am not very good and totally screwed up my first performance (I dislocated my knee mid performance) but I can't wait to get back out there and do it again

Ouch that would have killed if you'd hooped for 2 hours straight. I remember being able to hoop for ages as a kid but these days it's alot more effort lol. Have you tried learning some hooping tricks from online? There's quite a few sites dedicated to hoop tricks.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no! How did you manage that? That sounds painful!

I've watched a few videos, but I don't have the space in my room for my hoop to go flying when I lose control
I don't have a garden unfortunately and I'm too shy to do it alone in the park

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Oh no! How did you manage that? That sounds painful!

I've watched a few videos, but I don't have the space in my room for my hoop to go flying when I lose control
I don't have a garden unfortunately and I'm too shy to do it alone in the park
It was just bad luck that I did my knee, it was just one of those random bizarre happens for no real reason type injuries. I was kneeling on the ground and then I stood up and my knee went.

Put in some earphones and go the park, that way even if someone yells out you'll never hear them anyway lol. Part of the fun of hooping is watching your hoop fly out of control metres away tee hee

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm a hooper! When I first started I had a hugggggge bruise on my left hip for MONTHS.

If anyone is interested in starting and wants some info on where to buy hoops / dvds out there, I made a hooping page a while ago on my site. Just has some quotes from well known hoopers as well as some dvd reviews from ones that I have tried.

That's so cool that there are hoopers here

·
Registered
582 Posts
a coupla of female friends of mine are pretty fierce hoopers. they do it at outdoor parties. its fun to watch. they do all kinds of schmik tricky stuff on their arms & legs that just makes me faceplant when i try to do it

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Could someone please explain what a hooper is? I used to hula-hoop like nobody's business when I was young and had hips...

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Could someone please explain what a hooper is? I used to hula-hoop like nobody's business when I was young and had hips...
It's hula hooping but doing way more tricks than just keeping it up. Check out YouTube, people can do some awesome stuff with a hoop and their bodies.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I have never actually been able to use a hoop. But I'd love to learn.
Have you tried a weighted adult one? I've never been able to hoop in my life but I got a weighted hoop and was hooping on my second go.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Have you tried a weighted adult one? I've never been able to hoop in my life but I got a weighted hoop and was hooping on my second go.
I picked up one a few years ago at the gym and gave it a brief go, but got embarrassed at how bad I was pretty quickly. Don't know if that was weighted or not. Obviously, anything I tried to hoop with as a child wouldn't have been an adult one. Might see if I can find one and give it a go in private so I won't feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I definitely check out youtube videos to give me ideas. I use a collapsible pro weighted hoop so it's easy to travel with, since it collapses into a very small size, which is so convenient I can't even begin to explain haha. hoops are awkward when you need to take them places. I also used the Hoop Girl Hoop Workout when I first started to get used to moving the hoop around my waist without dropping it. Very helpful, but I don't use it anymore as I find it's just easier to practice on your own at your own pace.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm an avid hooper! During winter I don't usually hoop though because I don't have enough indoor space. I have both big hoops and minis but could do with some new ones.

Well, I'm no pro and have never performed, but I'm not too bad I suppose. I can waist- and chest hoop and my favourite is lying on my back and hooping on my upstretched foot
It's fun! I'm also dabbling in mini hooping but not very successful so far because my pair of minis is homemade and more egg-shaped than round...

Here's the one picture I have of myself hooping, it's with one of my minis:

·
Registered
40 Posts
After reading this.... I went out and got a hula hoop yesterday! Totally fun; I can only hoop around my waist though. Today.... I have bruises :-S I only hooped for maybe 20 mins max

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanks everyone
This thread really makes me yearn for some serious hooping again... Sigh.

lovelyveggiechick, don't worry! Tell you what, when I started out I could only keep the hoop up for two spins and that's the same as when I spun it without moving my body at all, very depressing. I had a really awful hoop too, much too light and small. But I stuck with it and eventually I could keep it up. It really helps to turn with the spinning direction of the hoop! Don't gett frustrated and stick with it, if I could do it, everyone can!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.