VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I still think honey is, in some circumstances, a grey area in veganism, I personally have decided (as of two weeks ago) to completely eliminate it from my diet.

I realised that I'd rather my money go towards agave farmers than beekeepers.

Thank-you to everyone who tried to convince me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's super-de-duper! Agave > honey.

I am very strict about my honey intake in that I never buy anything with honey or accept anything with honey unless I am absolutely famished and am putting myself at risk for starvation. However, I'm feeling pretty down because the only bread I can buy that does not include honey as an ingredient costs over four dollars at Henry's and bread is my staple food (I eat over two sandwiches a day, almond butter and jelly or vegenaise and carraway seed), my co-op with cheap honey-free bread is in another part of San Diego, and this morning I had to use Orowheat which, sadly, contains honey as an ingredient. I'm hoping to give some feedback to Henry's so that when I run out of bread, I won't have to empty my wallet to get animal-free buns!

I dislike when veganism leads me to spend an excessive amount of money on things as trivial as getting something without honey, when I am also a proponent of voluntary simplicity and not letting my veganism get in the way of something as important as eating something for lunch. I think today was the first time I've eaten honey in a few months.

Sorry about that rant!
Congrats on seeing the light!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Exo-Girl, I eat a lot of bread too. The commercial bread in my area (upstate New York) usually doesn't contain honey. I hope Henry's will take your suggestion and stock the economical honey-free bread.

Have you tried making your own bread? But then again, I usually don't bake in warmer weather, and you mentioned San Diego...

Anyway. The local commercial breads often are vegan, but they DO have a lot of salt- and like I said, I eat a lot of bread. I don't have a condition where salt could make me ill, but I make mine without salt. To save time, I usually bake 4 loaves and freeze some.

OH- Lord Hillyer- congratulations!

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Anyway. The local commercial breads often are vegan, but they DO have a lot of salt- and like I said, I eat a lot of bread. I don't have a condition where salt could make me ill, but I make mine without salt. To save time, I usually bake 4 loaves and freeze some.
That's strange- the last time I went to buy bread, I could only find one kind that didn't contain whey or honey. And that one kind was Wonder white bread, which is like eating a kleenex with a crust, imo.

I basically don't eat bread much anymore. I use a tortilla or a wrap instead.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I'm not that adept at reading the sneakier label terms yet, but there are a number of inexpensive commercial breads that do not appear to contain either honey or whey. Freihofer's Stoneground 100% Whole Wheat is one; I'm not sure about Pepperidge Farm. However, as you pointed out, they're usually not very tasty, and/or the texture is unsatisfying.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You should read about this starvation study that was done. Your behavior becomes irrational etc, etc, which I guess in the grade scheme of things makes sense. Your mindset really changes.

Yes I think skipping a meal is the start of starvation but then I'm not a good example for this.

After skipping one meal, I may fall asleep later that day. Two days worth of being unable to eat and then it takes a few days of heavy intense eating to get even low energy levels back.

Then theres' people who do fasts for longer then that and they feel fine so *shrugs*.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hillyer View Post

Even though I still think honey is, in some circumstances, a grey area in veganism, I personally have decided (as of two weeks ago) to completely eliminate it from my diet.

I realised that I'd rather my money go towards agave farmers than beekeepers.

Thank-you to everyone who tried to convince me.

It's good to see you posting again, LH.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.