VeggieBoards banner
161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majake

white sugar that is filtered or whatever using bone char is different than honey because the people who are doing the filtering make the choice to use the bone char and not something else, not the consumers as is the case with honey.
I'm not understanding this (granted: it's probably my fault)

are you saying that sugar filtered using bone char is okay for a vegan to eat because someone else made the choice to use the bone char and the consumer didn't have a "choice" in the matter?

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:

white sugar that is filtered or whatever using bone char is different than honey because the people who are doing the filtering make the choice to use the bone char and not something else, not the consumers as is the case with honey.
huh? that's like saying that the consumer who eats meat isn't somewhat responsible for the treatment of animals. if you're supporting a product, you're supporting the way they make that product too.

Quote:

stonecrest do you consider one who purposefully consumes insects to be vegan?
i've never really thought about it before. do people do that??

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
okay - understand it now.

I thought you were saying what you thought I thought you were saying (nevermind)

I understand the honey issue and completely agree with it (insects, in my opinion, are sentient beings as sappy as I may sound saying it)

My "thing" has always been when a non-vegan ingredient is put into something in a trace amount I don't just see black and white. At that time I weigh convenience, price, health, and other factors then decide based on them. Good example is breads (the only whole wheat load offered in our commissary has honey as an ingredient) and vitamin capsules (gelatin).

This practice makes me a non-vegan according to the Orthodox Vegan Crowd .... and that's okay for me (I know who I am). With the rules so incredibly rigid though - I fear Veganism will remain a special club for a few special people (and that's too bad.....for the animals).

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
http://www.organic.nl/pdf/SUIKER-FOLDER-A4-SCREEN.PDF

That's the sugar I use. This beetsugar is clarified with co2 gas and chalk; I can't find a english site which explains the process.

I avoid cane sugar where possible.

I consider the sugar I use as vegan, though someone might say not because the pulp that remains after the retraction of the sugar is made in to animal fudder.

But I'm not a member of the vegan police....or at least hope people don't see me that way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I dont even know if I want to get involved in this.... here goes though...

it seems as if someone is interested in going veg*n, they will understand that some people who are/"call themselves" vegan dont eat honey, some do...I mean, if they are interested, they can handle that distincition. For the purpose of most omnis, we are vegan, if you go and call yourself vegetarian, then they may offer you pizza with cheese, milk, scrambled eggs...who knows. Does that make any sense?

I buy and eat honey when its in something, but I dont bake/cook/sweeten tea with it. I'll look into honey free bread next time I go to the store, mmkay? heh.

I think I understand the issue too, and agree that its best to not use it...so why dont I? Convienience...I guess...

161 - 167 of 167 Posts