VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever find that, once people in the office find out that you're vegan/vegetarian, you become a celebrity in a strange, twisted way?

I managed to keep my veganism a secret for about a week and a half at my new job, but somehow or other I let the cat out of the bag late last week. Since then, I just seem to get people coming up to me all the time, asking me really weird, random questions and saying things like "Well, I applaud you for being so disciplined! I could never do it! How do you do it?".

The other day, I was walking through a corridor, and this guy yelled out "Alright, Steve the vegan?!" Actually, in this instance, I was more annoyed about being called 'Steve' than anything else.

At our coffee break today (yeah, I have to work weekends, too) my manager had a long conversation with me about it. He was going on about how healthy and strong I was for a vegetarian. (o.0)

Anyway.. "blah" is all I have to say on the matter. I don't like this new-found fame!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I am going to move this to vegan and vegetarian.

ETA-

At my work, everyone is concerned with a healthy diet and there is another vegetarian, so it is not a big deal. However, one person knows I am atheist, and I don't want to become the workplace atheist anytime soon.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Gazumper

The other day, I was walking through a corridor, and this guy yelled out "Alright, Steve the vegan?!" Actually, in this instance, I was more annoyed about being called 'Steve' than anything else.
Why? Is your name not Steve?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I try to not make it a big deal when I change jobs, but people soon spot that you're not joining in in certain meaty things (at least smart people do), my closest working colleague despite working with me, eating lunch with me everyday for five months, still hasn't twigged, he just thinks I like salads. Dooh! How thick can one person be.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
hey everyone, look! stephen the vegan posted! alright!

but yeah, i certainly know the feeling of that. i don't think 2 mins could pass during a conversation between one of my roommates last year and me where the word vegan wasn't uttered. whenever i would make some food, they would go "alright, vegan food!".. and then they started these jokes about how everything they eat is made of tofu.. like "time to eat some tofu hamburgers, aww yeah."

so yeah, it can be slightly annoying. best thing to do is just smile and nod.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
LOL! Yes, I get this too. My last job it was an issue from day 1, as being provided with lunch was part of the deal, everyone was prettycool about, albiet totally fascinated. (You'd think I'd just announced I subsited soley of depleted uranium or something). But yeah, at other jobs before that when the word finally gets around I've had people who have spoken maybe one word to me in that past running up to me in hallway and exclaming "But where do you get you're PROTIEN?" Seriously, it has happened to me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I suppose in a way it might make you feel singled out. But in another way , if you can handle the situation, you have an opportunity to show an office-full of people that the "V" word isn't a bad thing ;-) .

I hope you can allow this to cause some good impact on these people's attitudes :)

I do my work alone so I don't have this type of thing occuring.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I just started a new job last week and I am wondering how long it will take before people start figuring out I am a vegetarian. We had a big executive meeting on Friday and there was leftover sub sandwhiches all containing meat. Everyone kept telling me to take one, but of course I didn't. I ended up with soup instead. At my old job, there were just three of us and my co-workes knew and respected that I was a vegetarian. In fact they would often ask me for recipe ideas. I hope my new company turns out to be equally vegetarian friendly.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
One of my friends and I are the office vegetarians and it doesn't get much publicity. The office manager doesn't eat red meat, and then this woman I can't stand claims to be vegetarian and acts all high and mighty about "the animals" but eats seafood, and then other meat as well because it "looks good." (I'm not usually one to bother correcting such folk, but I dislike her for so many other reasons... it just irks me more!) The office manager just makes sure at meetings with meals and the office christmas party and such that there will be food we can enjoy as well. My friend and I did get pissed at this regional VP guy who brought us lunch one day and it was a big coldcut sub and he was like "You guys can just take the meat off" and we were like "riiiight.. thats just nasty."

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
When people I know from school find out I'm vegan, their reactions are that of seeming to have expected something like that of me
Hooray for years of being the weirdo leading up to softening the blow!

And actually, now that I think about it... I've been working at my current job for 10 months... And I don't think any of my co-workers know I'm vegan! Hah! It hasn't really come up. Or, no, I do recall it coming up with one of them, and her response was more an awed sort of "Wow!" in an I-could-never-do-that sort of tone. Hehe, I bet more of my customers know about my eating habits than my co-workers! Like when the cute boy came in today, and I was making his coffee, and he was like "Hey, by the way, do you like seafood?" and I said, "I, uh, don't eat meat." and he was like "Oh, that's cool!
" and it was nice. I think I've actually gotten more encouraging responses than anything when people found out.

Granted, I still have not avoided being "the vegan" in social settings/family gatherings. But poo on them

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I always get that from my friends' parents whenever I'm at their house, occasional people who I hardly even know when they found out about it at school. (How do you do it?, I could never give up meat!, I admire you so much!, You're really brave!) It gets annoying, but at least most of it that I get is positive feedback, even if they really don't know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
All my friends know that I'm a vegetarian. I'm a quirky fella, and I'm known for being a bit of a hippy, and for having a few odd habits, as well as having some deviant thoughts (I never have been the one to conform!) So I guess that vegetarianism fits right into that quirky niché I've got, so most people aren't all that shocked to hear it, even though I am male, and it's kinda weird for guys to go vegetarian. (What with all the macho thingy.)

But my vegetarianism isn't somehting that everyone knows about. I don't really wear my dietary choices on my sleeve, but if someone asks, or if the topic comes up, I'm happy to say that I'm vegetarian.

I guess that I am known for as being a vegetarian. Whenever I fart, my friends always say how it's probably because I'm a vegetarian. (You see, falafel is made from beans!!!)

I dunno though, know one ever calls me "The vegetarian" or anything!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I get quite a bit of flack for it at work, but I work with a bunch of oafs so the vegan deal gets a lot less play than various other insults. (It's not that big a deal really, it's the price you pay being the only woman in a company full of men who publish automotive and firearm magazines. I'm lucky to be alive!)

In general such behavior has been expected of me, so being vegan hasn't generated much response.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I get teased at work sometimes, but not in a mean way. But I've been faced with an ethical dilemma lately. I've always been the one to pick up the birthday cakes for everyone's birthday in the office....and I've still been doing it after becoming vegan, but it's been bothering me more and more. I guess if I don't get it someone else will, so what's the difference....but on the other hand I hate to hand money over (even thought it's not my money) to bakeries that sell this stuff...aside from the fact that I go pick it up and can't even eat any of it. But for my birthday, someone at work did a search online to find a vegan cake for me but couldn't find anything. So they ended up getting me a huge fruit salad instead. I thought that was nice of them. Also, sometimes a bunch of people place an order at a pizzeria to get delivered. I know this sounds strange, but I won't order with them anymore......I place a seperate order for a cheeseless pie and go pick it up myself. I guess I don't want to be lumped into the "dead-animal eating" order....I know, I'm weird

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Ugh... I know how that is.
I lost a bet to a guy and I have to buy him a sub. I tried talking him into the veggie sub but no dice.
Maybe I'll buy it a few hours early and let it sit out in the sun. If he gets sick maybe he'll lay off the meat for a while.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I get some flack, too, all of it based in misunderstanding and ignorance, so I start explaining, answering questions, offering food... eventually they get tired of it and move on. Then I'm just "the vegan" (no caps). I actually have more notoriety for breaking my collarbone at softball practice two days before our first game.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts